No "meshes" or "textures"- folders, just BSA files&#33

BLABLEBLUB

Hey everyone,

Please don't flame me asking this, I HAVE tried to search for similar posts and didnt find anything.

I tried to download and install a couple of mods already, but all of them required me to put stuff in the folders "Data/Meshes" and "Data/Textures", which unfortunately do not exist

in my Skyrim-folder. I installed Skyrim using Steam and I do find interface, strings and video folders, plus many Skyrim-something BSA files, but none of the above.

All of my game info seems to be in BSA files thus making me unable to add or change anything... Even the folders I do see are almost empty only containing translation files...

Those folders usually come with the mods. So, generally speaking, the first mod(s) you get will already come with an esp and the mesh/texture folders IN the downloaded folder. Chances are this mod already has texture and mesh folders...

If that's the case, just place the mod's contents in the games data folder in the Skyrim main directory.

If NOT, just create the folders yourself and make sure to spell them correctly. You must also make sure that the directories are all correct as well. Sometimes this means you will have to make more folders (i.e. textures>armors> etc...)

Usually mod authors will do this for you though so make sure...

After that, whenever you add new mods you will just merge the mod's folders into the game's data folders.

Edited by TheFourthHorse

It's exactly what TheFourthHorse said. If you create the meshes and textures folders (etc), Skyrim will know to look for things inside those.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

The vanilla Skyrim game only comes with BSA files. They're archives, which are like zip or rar files. All of the game assets are packed into those BSA files. You can view or extract them with Bethesda Archive Extractor, but you generally don't need to extract anything unless you're making (or tweaking) mods.

Loose files (files that are not packed into BSAs) override BSA files. Mods can be in either BSA or loose file format.

For example, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa contains a file called meshes\actors\character\character assets\femalebody_1.nif. If you have a modified version of femalebody_1.nif and put it into the folder Skyrim\Data\meshes\actors\character\character assets, then it will override the BSA and use the file instead. That way, you don't have to delete or modify vanilla game assets.

If a folder doesn't exist, just create it. You may have had the folders before because you installed another mod that already had the folders included. Some mod authors don't package them correctly for NMM or MO, and some include multiple optional files that you have to move yourself.

Also, be sure to use a mod manager like Mod Organizer.

Note: Even though both links above go to SSE Nexus, they do work for Oldrim.