• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

immortalfrieza

immortalfrieza

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
I know there's a couple Dwemer Spider companion mods already, but a question occurred to me as I was running around a dwemer ruin, why is it that after apparently thousands of years nobody's figured out how to make dwemer spiders, spheres and so on, even if not up to snuff? That question gave birth to this mod idea. I thank in advance whomever can make this happen.

How to learn to craft a Dwemer Spider

In the small Dwemer ruin inside Shimmermist Cave (because that's the first Dwemer ruin most players will stumble upon) a book by a long dead researcher would be on the table, along with a unique Dwemer Gyro and a flawless ruby, (both needed to make the companion) that would detail the observations of the Dwemer Spider that this researcher gathered, as well as their discovery of a method to make a dwemer spiders. Picking up this book would allow the player to craft a dwemer spider out of numerous metals. (Feel free to come up with something lore friendly here.)

Features:

The player would be able to make a Dwemer Spider out of any obtainable metal, and that metal would determine the Spider's statistics, along with a boost based on the player's smithing skill, which would increase the statistics somewhat at time of forging, and it's color would be simlar to the metals it's composed of (iron would be a dark grey, steel would be a whitish color, dwarven would look like a standard spider and so on). My idea for progression:

-10 Iron ingots, easiest to make, (if you like to find materials instead of buy them) lowest statistics, comparable to a sabre cat, (or some fairly weak creature, I'm just making educated guesses as to what creatures would be balanced).
-10 Steel ingots, slightly harder to make, somewhat better statistics, comparable to a cave bear.
-10 Dwarven Metal ingots, somewhat harder to make, statistics comparable to Chaurus Reaper.
-10 Orichalcum Ingots, hard to make, Statistics comparable to a Giant.
-10 Ebony Ingots, Pretty hard to make, Statistics comparable to a Dwarven Centurion Master.
-10 Ebony Ingots and 1 Daedra Heart, REALLY hard to make, statistics level with the player after level 50.

EDIT: Maybe it would be a good idea to require the player to have the necessary smithing perk in order to craft the companion (i.e. Steel smithing to make a steel Dwemer spider, Dwarven smithing for dwarven spider etc.) So the spider's better statistical materials avoids being available too quickly.

The Dwemer Spider would not be essential, but if it dies the player can simply loot it and get back what the player used to make it and simply smith it again, so if the player's smithing skill has gone up, it can increase the spider's statistics that way as well as changing the metal it's made out of. The ability to name it would be helpful too.

Dwemer Spider A.I.

The Dwemer Spider would not be able to be seen by any enemies unless the Spider attacks them, and the Spider would only do so if the enemies were in open combat with the player, it would not attack while the enemy is searching for the player (so it wouldn't effect stealth players, one of the things that always annoyed me about companions is that they make sneaking impossible).

The Spider would be able to carry 400lbs of items, it's metallic compostion would not effect this.

So what does everybody think? Is this doable? Thanks for your great contributions to Skyrim modders, you take a great game and make it much better.

Edited by immortalfrieza, 01 July 2012 - 04:13 PM.

crysthala

crysthala

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
Look up Dwemer Certified. You can not only build Dwemer spiders, but spheres, centurions, simulacrums... It's one of my very favorite mods. :thumbsup:

J3X

J3X

Cat

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
I like the different materials idea.

immortalfrieza

immortalfrieza

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Look up Dwemer Certified. You can not only build Dwemer spiders, but spheres, centurions, simulacrums... It's one of my very favorite mods. :thumbsup:

The Dwemer Certified mod is close, but not quite what I was asking for.

J3X

J3X

Cat

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
Could you first smith a skeleton for the spider out of Dwemer stuff. You can then put different armour plates on it. And perhaps weapons & modules.

I could do the scripting part if anyone could make models and textures for it.

JanusForbeare

JanusForbeare

For Morrowind! For Dres!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

OP, you're not going to get a better offer than that. Gogogogogo! Find yourself a 3D modeller.

All in all, I like this idea. I think that 400 lbs. is a little heavy for a itsy-bitsy spider (that's like... just a little under two Arnold Schwarzeneggers) and I'm not sure where it would put all its loot, but I like the general theme of having a constructable follower of the non-humanoid variety.

My one other concern (and I guess it's linked to the first one) is that the description makes the spider sound a little overpowered - 10 Orichalcum ingots are pretty easy to get even before level 10, and then you have a little, super-sneaky companion with the combat stats of a giant? After dragons, there aren't many things more powerful than giants!

However, OP, I want to make it clear that the reason I offer (what I hope is constructive) criticism is because I think this is a great idea, and I would probably download it if it were completed. Good luck!

immortalfrieza

immortalfrieza

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

OP, you're not going to get a better offer than that. Gogogogogo! Find yourself a 3D modeller.

All in all, I like this idea. I think that 400 lbs. is a little heavy for a itsy-bitsy spider (that's like... just a little under two Arnold Schwarzeneggers) and I'm not sure where it would put all its loot, but I like the general theme of having a constructable follower of the non-humanoid variety.

My one other concern (and I guess it's linked to the first one) is that the description makes the spider sound a little overpowered - 10 Orichalcum ingots are pretty easy to get even before level 10, and then you have a little, super-sneaky companion with the combat stats of a giant? After dragons, there aren't many things more powerful than giants!

However, OP, I want to make it clear that the reason I offer (what I hope is constructive) criticism is because I think this is a great idea, and I would probably download it if it were completed. Good luck!

I wish I had the skills to make a mod like this myself, otherwise I would (my eyes just kind of glaze over when I try to understand something that complicated).

As I said, I'm just making educated guesses on how the spider would be balanced, it would probably be OPed using the creatures I used as examples I know, but that's the best I could come up with. As for the materials, I was acting under the assumption that the player would try and mine all the materials instead of buying them, in which case it would be simple for everything. Based on my personal experience (I have a guide, but I like to explore, so I don't find a lot of crafting materials except iron that often) Orichalcum and Ebony aren't that easy to find unless you know exactly where to look, and I'm acting under the assumption that the player doesn't have a guide or anything and thus can't find materials so easily, and yes, 400lbs is probably a bit much.

immortalfrieza

immortalfrieza

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Could you first smith a skeleton for the spider out of Dwemer stuff. You can then put different armour plates on it. And perhaps weapons & modules.

Thats kinda the idea of the Dwemer Gyro and flawless ruby, which would act as the base. I don't know the weapons and such, what dwemer weapons would work?

Finding modelers seems to be the hardest part about having a mod like this made, but I hope that a modeler notices this thread.

Edited by immortalfrieza, 01 July 2012 - 01:44 PM.

J3X

J3X

Cat

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
You could use a lot of weapon and armour parts for the models, one still needs to skin and rig them though.

immortalfrieza

immortalfrieza

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

You could use a lot of weapon and armour parts for the models, one still needs to skin and rig them though.

I've actually now searched for some Dwemer weapon mods, and I found on the steam workshop the Dwemer Autoblade, Buster, and Rifle. Those would work well if they could be resized and mounted on the spider companion in a way that would look natural, and if they also could be made out of materials other than dwemer metal they could even follow the materials progression that the Spider itself does. In fact, these weapons could be used for balancing purposes, as the weapon and material it's made out of could determine the Spider's attack value, while the materials it's made out of could determine the Spider's health and armor rating.

P.S. Thanks for helping me flesh out this idea J3X.

Edited by immortalfrieza, 01 July 2012 - 04:16 PM.

Page loaded in: 1.555 seconds