Never Ending Loading

kt95

I really need help with this.

When I press continue I get stuck at the loading screen.

The animations and the tips are just fine, but the game doesn't load, I left it on for about 30 mins and it's still stuck there.

I tried unchecking all the mods, but it still doesn't work.

I can start a new game just fine, but I can't continue my auto save or my quick save.

Any help?

Do you have any world map "tweaks" set in either of your configuration files? I had a ton of trouble getting autosaves to load after setting...I think it was LOD settings to supposedly make the map sharper. It didn't help much visually, and the inability to load 80% of the time was infuriating. Edited by Septfox

Do you have any world map "tweaks" set in either of your configuration files? I had a ton of trouble getting autosaves to load after setting...I think it was LOD settings to supposedly make the map sharper. It didn't help much visually, and the inability to load 80% of the time was infuriating.

what?! Explain those words.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't at all clear. You can force certain things in the game engine by editing the game's configuration files; Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini, found in Documents/My Games/Skyrim. In this case, there's two lines you can add to the contents of Skyrim.ini to marginally increase the detail level of the world map in-game.

Unfortunately, adding these lines can have the effect that you're describing: loading saved games, particularly autosaves in my experience, hangs for no apparent reason. The post that alerted me to the problem:

did you change something in skyrim.ini? like for "full 3d map", then remove lines with uLockedObjectMapLOD and uLockedTerrainLOD (this may lower objects and terrain detail on the map) under [MapMenu]

fixed the problem almost ever ;)

So yea. Check Skyrim.ini for uLockedObjectMapLOD and uLockedTerrainLOD, and delete the lines if they're present.

Alternatively, the game engine, like previous Bethesda games, has trouble loading save files above a certain size...12-16mb if I recall correctly. This usually manifests itself as frequent crashes though if I understand right, but it doesn't hurt to check the size of your files to make sure.