Stuck on infinite load screens

SeraVerte

I just patched my Skyrim from 1.5 to 1.6 yesterday and since then, I've been getting stuck on load screens that never end, more frequently. (this would only happen rarely when I ran 1.5)

They've all occured in Whiterun and Solitude and are quite random: Sometimes I can load a save where I'm outside or move from an interior to the Whiterun/Solitude cell just fine, other times it just loads forever with the music playing and the figure on the loading screen zooming in and out, repeatedly.

The game runs at a smooth frame rate most of the time, so I'm thinking it's not related to over stressing the system.

Is this caused by a specific mod that alters the cells or is it really about putting too much stress on the system?

edit: I've been keeping an eye on the task manager and somehow, I haven't seen Skyrim go over 2million K memory.

Edited by SeraVerte

Have any LOD tweaks for the world map set up? Those can cause infinite loading.

did you change something in skyrim.ini? like for "full 3d map", then remove lines with uLockedObjectMapLOD and uLockedTerrainLOD (this may lower objects and terrain detail on the map) under [MapMenu]

fixed the problem almost ever ;)

did you change something in skyrim.ini? like for "full 3d map", then remove lines with uLockedObjectMapLOD and uLockedTerrainLOD (this may lower objects and terrain detail on the map) under [MapMenu]

fixed the problem almost ever ;)

Nope, never had those two lines to begin with. Although I have made numerous other tweaks to both Skyrim and Skyrimprefs, could those be behind it?

When the 1.6 installed on me, it rewrote a good deal of my pref.ini and .ini files, both resetting values and deleting lines that I had added. This cause a number of issues for me, including load hangs. If you haven't already, you might carefully check those files to make sure they values are where you want them. I wouldn't recommend a simple copy-paste overwrite from a backup file, though, because I noticed the update added some new lines, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue such as this one, mostly in a confined region in and around Solitude, and VERY occasionally in Markarth too.

I can enter from the outside in, but going out, even when doing so immediately after entering, I get a freeze during load.

I still chuckle (even though I'm thorougly annoyed) when I see the animated loadscreen with music and all that jazz, yet taskmanager saying it does not respond.

It's now reached the point that whenever I enter a building in Solitude that is between the main entrance and Castle Dour I just coc to the Blue Palace and enter solitude from that point, because that's about the only point in Solitude that doesn't freeze me up.

This also started happening after 1.6 launched. I have reinstalled the game twice now, but the issue persists.

• 3 months later...
One of reasons of infinite loading time - skyrim can't see one of needed bsa files. I notice that sometime even boss doesn't recognise it, and sometimes bsa become ghosted with esp files. perhaps we should synchronise time and date of esp and corresponding to it bsa file. Edited by Tensetsuno

• 3 years later...

This is happening to me in Skyrim 1.9, if anyone knows why, please help:

Current mods installed:

Open Cities Skyrim - Legendary Edition

Bring Out your Dead - Legendary Edition

Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch

Thanks in advanced!

"Those who are willing to give a little liberty to gain temporary safety deserve neither and will lose both." ~Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father of the United States of America