Where are all the gay people?

Relativelybest

This is something that's been bugging me for a while.

So, you can marry people in Skyrim, including people of the same gender as your character. That basically means that homosexual relationships aren't just tolerated in the world of Elder Scrolls, but actually socially and legally approved of. Which is of course a nice thing, only...

...Well, I haven't actually met any gay NPC. Like, an actual same-sex couple. In fact, aside from marriable NPC (who's sexual orientation is of course variable by default) I haven't met a character who even hints at being gay. They don't seem to exist.

For that matter, is there any mention if homosexuality anywhere? I mean, I don't really study the lore in detail, so maybe I missed it, but nothing I've seen or read have ever even hinted at this subject. On the other hand, I did find a book detailing the tragic love story between a dunmer and a khajiit, so at least I know there are some references to interspecies relationships. (Which should realistically be a rarer thing than same-sex relationships.)

So, if you marry a character of the same gender as yourself, everyone is totally cool with it and you are allowed to love each other with the blessings of the Divines and all that... yet you are apparently the only openly gay couple in the known world?

I dunno, does anyone else find this kinda jarring? o_O

Edited by Relativelybest

the reason that you can marry same sex in skyrim is because if they didnt allow homosexuality and died allow heterosexuality there would be an outcry from th LGBT community that they are not correct represented in the game and everyone is homophobic and they should burn for their inequality, so, to avoid all the protsting and fires, they simply added a few lines of code, actually didnt put in lines of code that checks for sex. as far as interspecies ehh, its a game, think mass effect, different species there are common to see, as for the real world interspecies usually means bestiality

Bethesda hasn't put much thought into this, but at least they gave players the option to marry NPCs of the same sex. Now, most of that is appreciated by straight guys with female characters who want their femmes to marry good looking female NPCs, but it is also appreciated by gays, bis, and lesbians who want their male character with a male NPC or a female character with a female NPC.

I'm in the former category. I only play female characters and I just have them marry women. All my female characters are lesbians. You know, I just don't want one of my beautiful female characters marrying Urgerth War Bear or Belethor. XD

Edited by Dubnoman

Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh, what am I saying - of course you don't..

-nazeem

('nazeem' means being gay in the urban dictionary).

I'd guess Bethesda probably followed Bioware's lead on same sex relationships, Dragon Age (and maybe The SIMS)

were probably the first mainstream RPG's to fully script this.

:confused: I think they were very diplomatic about this. Let the player see what the player will see - not restrict the player from living a certain lifestyle, but not promoting either lifestyle either. I think that is probably where it should stay - and it leaves optional mod story-lines to fill in the blanks. I think if they had made noticeably gay NPCs it could have been taken the wrong way by both gays and straights, people for and against gay rights, everyone alike - depending on how you interpreted it. And I will leave my opinion at that to avoid a political debate :unsure:

Leaving it as an option, without forcing the issue, is probably the best way to go about it while maintaining some semblance of respect from the majority of their fans/playerbase. They could have left it off completely, and had some folks a bit upset (though it would very likely have been modded in within days of the CK release, assuming not even earlier). Alternatively, they could have done things far far worse, and gone the ME3 route with a character being purely defined by their sexual preference, serving no purpose except to be "that gay dude you can hook up with" - which is far more insulting to actual homosexual players due to the implications given off from that concept.

Some games get it right, Arcade Gannon in FNV being one of the more notable examples (you don't know he is unless you go pretty far into his dialogue asking about personal stuff), though expecting Bethesda themselves to be the gods of quality writing may be asking a bit much. :whistling:

Leaving it as an option, without forcing the issue, is probably the best way to go about it while maintaining some semblance of respect from the majority of their fans/playerbase. They could have left it off completely, and had some folks a bit upset (though it would very likely have been modded in within days of the CK release, assuming not even earlier). Alternatively, they could have done things far far worse, and gone the ME3 route with a character being purely defined by their sexual preference, serving no purpose except to be "that gay dude you can hook up with" - which is far more insulting to actual homosexual players due to the implications given off from that concept.

Some games get it right, Arcade Gannon in FNV being one of the more notable examples (you don't know he is unless you go pretty far into his dialogue asking about personal stuff), though expecting Bethesda themselves to be the gods of quality writing may be asking a bit much. :whistling:

This. That is what I was thinking.

using the NPC editor, you can change the sex, looks, stats, equipment and personality. You can change location, faction and friends. You can even change who they love and are wedded to. If they are already married to someone, you need to edit both involved or it could do crazy things in game. The Amazing follower tweak mod then allows you to really make an npc call anyplace home. That means they'll use the furnishings and even their side of a double bed - or be down right rude and take your side :tongue: