Skyrim has just suddenly had a huge FPS drop?

Sky999

I played Skyrim this morning and my FPS was perfect, I couldn't have asked for a more fluid and responsive game, yet after leaving it for a few hours, I started Skyrim up again, and now my FPS is painfully bad, I'm struggling to turn my head.

Now first off, I do use a lot of mods, but I was using the exact same mods as I always have this morning, and like always my FPS wasn't affected at all, it was perfect, what's more I get this lag even with no mods enabled, so it can't be the mods causing it.

I checked my options on Steam (I usually load Skyrim with the SKSE) and the settings did seem high, so I clicked default and my settings reverted to Medium Quality.

I assumed that was the problem, that somehow my settings had just been set incredibly high, but no the FPS and lag was the same.

I'm at a loss here, this morning it was playing perfectly, I turned it off, then when I load up again the FPS/lag is god awful, I even tried starting a new game but it doesn't help.

Is there some bug with random gigantic drops in FPS and huge lag that I don't know about? :down:

I really need some help with this one, appreciate any answers that anyone has to this.

The first thing I would do is check the size of your savegame files. Mods put things in there that remain even after you remove the mods. And when you say "no mods enabled", does that mean you just unchecked them, or did you uninstall them with a mod manager so that everything is actually removed?

The first thing I would do is check the size of your savegame files. Mods put things in there that remain even after you remove the mods. And when you say "no mods enabled", does that mean you just unchecked them, or did you uninstall them with a mod manager so that everything is actually removed?

I checked my savegames, I only had about 1 save and 4 autosaves, since I just reinstalled Skyrim a few days ago. I deleted any saves of mine anyway, so it's not save game sizes causing the issue.

I unchecked them, even if I uninstall them all, which I tried previously, the problem remains.

I had this problem before, then uninstalled skyrim, reinstalled my mods, then for some reason my FPS was fine, in fact it seemed better than ever, I played this morning and everything was fine, now I try and play about an hour ago and ever since then my FPS has been ridiculously bad and unplayable, it doesn't make any sense, I haven't done anything to affect my game since then, but then I didn't really do anything to stop the FPS, it just suddenly worked, but not anymore it seems.

Maybe something else is going on in the computer, outside the game, that is hogging system resources. Do you use GameBooster? Have you tried rebooting? Have you looked at what other processes are running and their CPU utilization? Do you have an active AV software?

Right, my FPS is back to normal now, in fact it's better than normal, it's perfect.

All I did was restart my PC though...

I'm now wondering what it is exactly that caused this FPS drop and how I can prevent it in the future, I don't know if i'll ever figure it out though...

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same issue but I'm pretty sure it has to do with whatever gamesave you loaded up because I started a new game today and it worked fine until I loaded up my other save that had the most content in it.

Did anyone work out what the solution to DJGIRISH's low frame rate save was? I'm having trouble where after a while the game will drop to around 5fps, and the only thing that will fix it is loading an earlier save, before the framerate drop.

Restarting my machine doesn't help (if I load that save). If i start a new game, the frame rate is fine - but that particular save is now low frame rate forever.

I'd rather not have to restart (I was only using quicksaves) - anyone got any ideas? The save hasn't got particularly big - it's still in the 5Mb range.