CTD entering Honeyside

tbcollins

Really need some help, this has been killing me for 2 days now. Even re-installed game, deleted some of my Mods, re-installed NMM, disabled every mod anywhere close to riften and still no matter what i do, every time I try to get into Honeyside wether through the front or back door, I CTD. Most of the time the autosave gets through, but crashes immediately after, don't even get to see the inside. Any ideas, help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is really the only place that I have CTD issues. Running Dragonborn Manor, Bert's Breezehome Remodeled, Dragonreach Hideout, and Dawnstar Sanctuary house mods and have no problem getting into those.

Try this: Open up the console (~) and type this (Without the quotes), "coc RiftenHoneyside" and then if it work try exiting Honeyside and then go back in.

Bump. Really need help with this. Also heard of somebody else having a problem getting in due to too many active quests. Any idea if that could do it?

Anything's possible, not very helpful I know; but I have very few active quests and in my current play through I've had "reliable CTD's" attempting to enter every player house for the first time.

At the moment I'm trying to get into Hjerim during "Blood On The Ice" and not having much luck - it's the last one I have to crack though.

The most reliable "fix" for me at least is to fully upgrade the house - entry was possible without CTD after upgrade. Try that if you haven't already.

There's a lot in this and other forums about mods contributing further to Skyrim's apparently innate instability, I run mods, so I *think* my problems likely have something to do with some mod or another having made changes to the homes, perhaps it's the high res textures mod(s), or another mod, or the phase on the moon on the day I installed -_-

Whatever it is, for me, at least, it seems to only affect the basic house and installing the upgrades (I'm guessing) overwrites or replaces whatever's causing the problem.

Good luck with it, I wish I knew more.

It's covered in this.

Here is a link to my troubleshooting blog. .

http://s1.zetaboards.../4751769/1/#new

If you use any of this and have some success - or even if nothing works - please post back here what you did that worked or didn't work. That kind of information can be invaluable to other members having the same or similar problems - And to me in fixing any problems in the blog.

Look under Skyrim> CTD when near a particular place

Bear with me here :)

I brute-forced my way through Blood on the Ice without actually entering Hjerim using console/additem/setstage etc and reached a point where I could upgrade Hjerim (Blood on the Ice needs to have been completed before upgrades become available). Testing each upgrade in turn narrowed the problem to the armory - if the armory was upgraded, the home could then be entered without causing a CTD.

The only 'armory specific' mod I was running was SLuckyD's Vanilla Mannequin Script Fix mod; but deactivating that and even uninstalling it using NMM did not affect the bug. I played a hunch and deleted ../Skyrim/Data/Scripts/MannequinActivatorSCRIPT.pex and ../Skyrim/Data/Scripts/Source/MannequinActivatorSCRIPT.psc manually.

No more CTD and Blood On The Ice plays as intended.

My testing is neither complete nor conclusive, those files are either the versions added by SLucky's mod - not deleted by NMM; or Beth files that *should* be there; perhaps added in 1.6? Either way they are a contributing factor in the "unable to enter player homes" bug and following their removal that bug is no longer a feature in my install.

I'll revisit this and dig further if I have problems with mannequins later in game, but for now I'm moving on.

I don't know if you have ever installed that mod tbcollins, it would be handy if you could let me know if you have; but either way I suggest removing ../Skyrim/Data/Scripts/MannequinActivatorSCRIPT.pex and ../Skyrim/Data/Scripts/Source/MannequinActivatorSCRIPT.psc if they exist and seeing if that fixes your bug. (As always save and reload a couple of times somewhere 'quiet' well away from the area affected after the changes in the hope of clearing out any legacy crud in your save file.)

Good luck with it,

viss

• 2 weeks later...
I played a hunch and deleted ../Skyrim/Data/Scripts/MannequinActivatorSCRIPT.pex and ../Skyrim/Data/Scripts/Source/MannequinActivatorSCRIPT.psc manually.

Yes!!! That solved the problem for Blood on the Ice for me. Here's how it "panned out" for my characters:

Character 1: Did Blood on the Ices ages ago, Hjerim totally upgraded, no problems.

Character 2: Did Blood on the Ice ages ago, bought Hjerim and the

"Clean up that Murder's Mess!"

upgrade; but due to problems with Character 4 and reading this thread I went there for the first time in months (real time months, not in-game) and suddenly was CTD entering Hjerim. Purchasing the Armory upgrade: problem solved.

Character 3: Have not done Blood on the Ice but have Proudspire Manor bought, no upgrades; again, after checking here tried to enter Proudspire and got a CTD. Bought the upgrades: problem solved.

Character 4: Brand new character made last week to become a Vampire when I get Dawnguard expansion: Blood on the Ice triggers on 3rd trip into Windhelm (1st night visit as a Vampire) and when I got the key to enter Hjerim and tried to I got a CTD instantly. Tried everything to fix it before I came here. I tried the above with the other three characters first, then I moved the two mannequin scripts to the Backup folder (the one for mods the CK uses) and got an instant fix. I will move the scripts back when I can purchase decorations upgrades.

Between the four characters I have there is enough evidence to show the problem with the scripts is there, and to show that moving the scripts away (at least temporarily) fixes it.

Thanks visinii !!! I even gave you Kudos in the discussions of Elder Scrolls Wiki for the fix: the Blood on the Ice quest gets a lot of bug reports. :wallbash: