Dawnguard CTD's?

Kraeten

My Skyrim worked completely fine before downloading Dawnguard, but now my game will randomly CTD every now and again. Only recently it CTD's every 15/10 minutes or so. I've completed much of the expansion content so far, so it's not like the DLC doesn't work. Every time it CTD's, I get a pop up from the Microsoft Visual C++ Library. Any ideas how I can fix this? Or should I just deactivate the blasted ESM and wait for Bethesda to clean up this mess? Edited by Kraeten

I am having this exact same issue since getting Dawnguard, I have done most of the standard stuff including making sure drivers and things are all up to date, re-installing Microsoft visual c++ and turning off what few basic mods i have and nothing seems to help at all. I even looked into trying to add Skyrim to the data execution prevention list but as I have my game via Steam I'm not sure that's possible.

Glad I'm not alone. I checked the official website and frequent CTD's are on the bug list. Hopefully Beth will release a patch in the near future. One thing is for sure, next time there's a DLC available I'm gonna wait for a patch or two before buying. :pinch:

I actually played dawnguard a while before getting CTD's. I will say that anytime I get CTD's even when they seem localized to a specific area, I turn off auto saving and delete my auto saves and it fixes the CTD issue. It's weird. It seems to be working but my game is still jacked up. Occasional fragmented textures, and the game locks up for about 5 to 10 seconds every 5 minutes. More of a hicup, but it has never done it before. Might need to lower my settings if Dawnguard pushed the ram demand beyond my PC's 3 gigs.

I don't know about Dawnguard, but I have noticed an interesting trend in the CTD phenomenon:

1.1: crash the moment you start the game, unplayable

1.2: the less said, the better

1.3: crashes start when your save gets to about 15 to 20 MBs.

1.4: crashes start when your save gets to about 12 to 15 MBs.

1.5: crashes start when your save gets to about 10 to 12 MBs.

1.6: crashes start when your save gets to about 5 to 10 MBs.

1.7: crashes start when your save gets to about 5 or 6 MBs.

I've also noticed the dreaded "pure virtual function call" error and the unceremonious drop to desktop have found their way into 1.7 (again). The solution here is to roll back to 1.3 or 1.4 (or 1.5 if you want to use the 1.0 version of USKP and 1.5.6 version of SKSE). Clearly, the solution is to roll back (good luck doing that unless you have some technical expertise).

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

yes I do have same problem.

I found out, that the games will crash with that notorious "pure virtual function call" as soon you

a) proceed with the "Dawnguard" mission "A new order" or

b) start the "Vampire" mission "The Bloodstone Chalice".

If I load a gamesave before one of those missions, my game will run smoothly and without CTD till I quit the game regulary.

And yes I have several mods installed. But nevertheless before earliers mentioned mission waypoints -> stable.

Then I startet a new game mod-free(!), then I joined the dawnguards and as I came to the "A new order" mission, you can guess it: CTD.

Draw your own conclusions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all,

yes I do have same problem.

I found out, that the games will crash with that notorious "pure virtual function call" as soon you

a) proceed with the "Dawnguard" mission "A new order" or

b) start the "Vampire" mission "The Bloodstone Chalice".

If I load a gamesave before one of those missions, my game will run smoothly and without CTD till I quit the game regulary.

And yes I have several mods installed. But nevertheless before earliers mentioned mission waypoints -> stable.

Then I startet a new game mod-free(!), then I joined the dawnguards and as I came to the "A new order" mission, you can guess it: CTD.

Draw your own conclusions.

I just go the mission "A New Order" when I try to enter the cave to crystaldrift cave i CTD. Are there any fixes to this?

• 6 months later...

Happens to me only when I am playing my vampire. When I play my nord, it never gets the library crash, but on my vampire it randomly crashes and it only started doing it after the dragon fight in soul cairn