Dawnguard keeps freezing

maybenexttime

I'm having the same issue since installing Dawnguard. The freezing seems to occur at random times during my play session, but it happens every time I play. I've verified my game cache, reinstalled DirectX, DotNetFX, and VCRedist, and reinstalled the friggin' game with no luck. My mod list and load order haven't changed since installing Dawnguard. I swear... I spend more time fixing this game than I do actually playing it.

maybenexttime, hi, post the contents of your DLCList.txt here, this is just a list of the mod's you've got installed

that use ESP/ESM plugins (search for it in your systemdrive).

You've probably got somekind of bad mod or skyrim setting messing up the game; however, other people (xbox/pc)

have reported fps lagging, freezes, and scripted events not occurring (i mean bugged).

Are you getting 'freezes' or CTD's (crash to desktop)?

Edited by xlcr

maybenexttime, hi, post the contents of your DLCList.txt here, this is just a list of the mod's you've got installed

that use ESP/ESM plugins (search for it in your systemdrive).

You've probably got somekind of bad mod or skyrim setting messing up the game; however, other people (xbox/pc)

have reported fps lagging, freezes, and scripted events not occurring.

Are you getting 'freezes' or CTD's (crash to desktop)?

XLCR, with respect, I started off on the PS3 version and the freezing has existed since before Dawnguard (actually they don't even have it yet and yes I realize you didn't bring up ps3). I can't speak for the XBox crowd, but I'm running stock Skyrim on PC and always have been. The only mods I've installed have been little self created ones that are quickly removed as they are simple exercises for me to learn the creation kit. Basically I'm saying my copy is as stock as it gets. And I have had like 2 freezes in 400+ hours of gameplay on PC none of which have been post Dawnguard. (I wish I could say the same for the 1000+ hours I have on PS3 Skyrim, which freezes about once a play session sometimes)

Edited by Stemin

@maybenexttime, hi, did you manually completely remove all those mesh (nif) /animation (hkx) / script (pex) files

that running animation mod installed?

Freezes can happen if an animation/script/effect/rendering gets 'stuck', usually during a location transition,

sometimes mods do not peacefully co-exist with eachother, or pushing your hardware too hard.

CTD's can happen due to a fatal script error, object load failure, or hardware issue (usually overheating).

Gamesaves/quests can get corrupted causing CTD's for many reasons like autosave errors (suggest turning this off, save manually),

embedded scripts from mods, corruption over time due to multiple patch versions, and unfixed quest programming issues.

@Stemin, hi, i've never gotten a 'freeze'; but, got a few CTD's that i suspect are from a broken quest/location baked into a gamesave.

No issues with Dawnguard installed, i run a lot of mods but minimal major overhaul mods for now.

Dawnguard is bugged like hell... I have random hang-ups - the game doesn't freese permanently, just freezes for a sec or two, then goes on normally (it ran like a swiss watch before Dawnguard, and I haven't installed new mods after Dawnguard release). But the most pesky bug is with vampire lord form - it often just won't activate at all! When I try to activate it, the favorites menu stops working and tab menu also... Very dissapointing. Does anybody else has these problems with vampire lord form? Maybe there is a community solution or smth...

fyi, i don't know if this matters; but, i extracted/installed all loose files/folders from dawnguard.bsa into skyrim and

configured the load order with Dawnguard.esm 3rd from the top of the list after Skyrim.esm and Update.esm.

Dawnguard is bugged like hell...

Why do you guys make statements like that when the problem is obviously your mods? And what do you expect, installing hundreds of mods before the GotY is even out yet? Bethesda's just supposed to stop working on the game so your mods work?

Why do you guys make statements like that when the problem is obviously your mods? And what do you expect, installing hundreds of mods before the GotY is even out yet? Bethesda's just supposed to stop working on the game so your mods work?

I have to agree with Stemin. You can't call Dawnguard buggy if you're trying to play it with a bunch of mods you installed before Dawnguard. I'm glad I only had around 9 mods or so. I just deleted all of them in preparation for downloading Dawnguard, which I believe I'll do tonight. If I find bugs in Dawnguard even with zero mods, then I'm sure I'll post them on this forum somewhere, but I'm not going to call the game buggy until I've played for a good long while completely mod-free.