Dawnguard keeps freezing

maybenexttime

Why do you guys make statements like that when the problem is obviously your mods? And what do you expect, installing hundreds of mods before the GotY is even out yet? Bethesda's just supposed to stop working on the game so your mods work?

I have to agree with Stemin. You can't call Dawnguard buggy if you're trying to play it with a bunch of mods you installed before Dawnguard. I'm glad I only had around 9 mods or so. I just deleted all of them in preparation for downloading Dawnguard, which I believe I'll do tonight. If I find bugs in Dawnguard even with zero mods, then I'm sure I'll post them on this forum somewhere, but I'm not going to call the game buggy until I've played for a good long while completely mod-free.

And so that explains all the trouble many XBox users were experiencing too?....Bethesda put Dawnguard out in Beta form...it's internal bugs are not all ironed out yet.

As for the Freezing...I was getting some random freezes and had trouble loading my game from start screen after downloading Dawnguard....For me the problem was two fold....The trouble loading my game turned out to be a simple matter of too many saves in my save file...deleted about 90% of them (I had A LOT) and haven't had trouble loading since...As for the random freezes, I just tweaked my graphics settings down, just a little, nothing really that discernible in game and haven't had any more freezes...knock on wood it stays that way.

So a freeze or failure to load could just be as simple a solution as that.....I do hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

And so that explains all the trouble many XBox users were experiencing too?....Bethesda put Dawnguard out in Beta form...it's internal bugs are not all ironed out yet.

The bugs in the stock game are not keeping you from finishing anything and they're mainly minor things. If you're not playing without mods, then you really can't dispute this.

• 3 weeks later...
I was also experiencing this, the game would freeze whenever a new cell was loaded(mainly exterior cells)especially after fast traveling, it would allow me to move for 1 second and bam -- game freezes and I have to kill the process. I also had a bunch of mods like SkyRe, Belua Sanguinare, USKP, UDGP, and many.. many others. I couldn't play anymore, getting freezes so often became a real PITA, ditched my 40 hours character and I am now reinstalling Skyrim, with no major mods like SkyRe or BSR this time. Hopefully it was one of the major & script heavy mods that did this, if its just Dawnguard(very likely - this is Bethesda after all) - then I am f***ed. Proper troubleshooting would be no mods at all, but that's not an option for me.

I've been having those same random freezes since I installed Dawnguard ... not right away but after some hours of play it started the freezing frenzy.

I've been researching and experimenting since then and here's what I found:

- It's not from the mods, I started a fresh new game with no mods on just to test this and it still randomly freezes.

- It happens outdoors, in no specific place. It never happened indoors.

- Soul Cairn is the only outdoors area where it never freezed. I've been roaming around it for hours doing all the related quests, no problems.

- Did not install new mods after DG, only updated the ones that offered DG compatibility.

- Updating the graphic drivers seems to help reduce the freezes, but they still happen from time to time. Game got a bit more choppy with Catalyst 12.8 drivers.

Hope this info helps.

Acer Aspire 5740G

Intel Core i3 330M @ 2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5740 512MB

4GB DDR3

Mod list organized by BOSS:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

SkyMoMod.esm

CoD Waking Nightmare II.esm

moonpath.esm

Brynjolf Dialogue Fix.esp

StaggerFix.esp

Improved Combat Sounds v2.1.esp

Weapons and Armor fixes.esp

Weapons and Armor fixes - Hacks.esp

Ars Metallica.esp

Ars Metallica - Dawnguard.esp

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

Fixed Followers.esp

SkyMoMod_lists.esp

Mart's Savegame DeBloatifier.esp

Dragonbone Weapons.esp

Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced.esp

Complete Crafting Overhaul - BS version.esp

DeadlyDragons.esp

DeadlyDragonsSpells.esp

DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp

CoD Waking Nightmare II.esp

HavenBag.esp

moonpath_questdata.esp

ElementalGauldurAmulet.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Light Weight).esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Light Weight).esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (Ranked).esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp

RichMerchants.esp

SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp

Uncle Sheo.esp

UnreadBooksGlow.esp

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp

BFSEffects.esp

AlchemyEnhancedXP.esp

The Dance of Death.esp

DeadlyCombat.esp

DeadlyCombat_GiantsAIFix.esp

DeadlyCombat_UnarmedFix.esp

ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +100%.esp

ABT - Faster Bolts Improved +100%.esp

ABT - Progressive Damage (BS and CCO).esp

BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp

dD-Dawnguard-MonsterMod EBT Patch.esp

Race Abilities and Skills Redone.esp

Racial Perks Instead of Skills.esp

heavy_armor_buff.esp

JNwepPerkoverhaul.esp

Ultimate training ground.esp

Hi, I had the same issue, pc freezing, or crashing every 10- 15 mins, with dawnguard, so i took off all my mods and restarted a new game then added only a few mods. The game plays beautifully now. I did notice allot of the freezes were when there was allot of action going on the screen.I put all the mods back on and it froze again, after trial and error i discovered it was the skyrim monster mod more spawns mod causing me all the problems. I took it off and viola....perfect game. 60 frapps with The wilds ENB running. Hope that helps :biggrin:

"Hi, I had the same issue, pc freezing, or crashing every 10- 15 mins, with dawnguard, so i took off all my mods and restarted a new game then added only a few mods. The game plays beautifully now. I did notice allot of the freezes were when there was allot of action going on the screen.I put all the mods back on and it froze again, after trial and error i discovered it was the skyrim monster mod more spawns mod causing me all the problems. I took it off and viola....perfect game. 60 frapps with The wilds ENB running. Hope that helps "

i did the same thing, fresh install, new char, a few mods at first, like sky UI, etc, then all the weapon and armor mods, played very well, then started adding major script mods one by one, i got to skymomod and BAM freeze after fast travel, went back to a clean save without skymomod and now up to 95% of the mods installed, still not tested deadly dragons and war zones yet but will soon, i even re-did some of my 1.4 patch house mods with the new CK just in case there was any conflicts, so far so good,

Got a new pc and installed only Skyrim +Dawnguard (and HighRes texture pack DLC). Started a new game and froze not 2 minutes into the game, still in the cart on its way to Helgen. Disabled Dawnguard, re-installed some of my mods and been playing for 4 hours without problems. Got the same experience on my old pc. After disabeling Dawnguard no more (random) freezes...

• 1 month later...

I have had problems since installing Dawnguard. I love it- - I love Dawnguard. I would rather have DG than pretty much any and all mods... except the UNP body replacer and say Trees for Solitude-- hey, aesthetics are my main thing for mods.

Anyway, DG doesn't seem to like the Skyrim environment that I dropped it into. First I got a soul cairn ctd. I reloaded an autosave (according to a lot of people, that was one of my first mistakes).

Since then, a bounty of ctds and freezes. Thing is, I would love to junk most of my mods and keep DG, but I am not sure that is an option. I will try it. If that fails I will uncheck DG instead. This is a 550-hour 62nd-level character (I know, ridiculous; I guess I am a "role-player"), so I am guessing those mods are so baked into my saves that my only hope is to scrap DG AND keep the mods. Though, granted, I try to avoid mods with scripts, and I attempted the "stopquest zGoreEffectsNPCQuest" -type console commands to uninstall "Enhanced Blood Textures", the one mod I've used that has a script folder.

Bye the way, my papyrus logs keep showing a repeating error on the DAWNGUARD RUNE AXE .psc. I've never touched that weapon or quest. I've used the Dust Drop fix provided by Steve40 to get rid of the fxDustDropRandomSCRIPT error, but that rune axe one, man, don't know how to get rid of that. My savegame is 14.5mb.

My load order:

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

JSwords.esm

moonpath.esm

ApachiiHair.esm

HighResTexturePack01.esp

HighResTexturePack02.esp

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp

BabettesFeastBalanced.esp