Cerwiden Healer Companion SKSE Poll

Mujuro

139 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference on whether Cerwiden would require SKSE?

• YES: Go for it if SKSE opens additional development paths for Ceri
    • NO: I'd rather avoid an external scripting dependency
    • DON'T CARE: As long as Ceri works, I don't care

Hi everyone,

First off, thank you all for your wonderful support for Cerwiden! It's been just over 2 weeks since I released v1.0 of Ceri, and she's already come a long way since then. I'm at a crossroad now in Ceri's development. Some of the things I'd like to do to expand her AI/configuration options can't be done readily within the CK with Papyrus, and SKSE MAY present a solution. I'm not guaranteeing anything, as I've not spent much time investigating yet. So what are some possible pros/cons associated with SKSE?

By way of reference example, I'd like Ceri's configuration to include support for multiple combat styles (and I'm not talking about changing out her weapons :P). I've not been able to find a way to do this via vanilla Papyrus (if someone knows how to do this, please let me know so I don't continue pulling out my hair). So if SKSE would provide me with a path to this, that's a definite "pro". By contrast, probably the most obvious "con" is that another dependency gets added to Ceri: Namely, if Skyrim updates, Ceri would be reliant also on SKSE updating.

Thanks again for all of your support! And Ceri is grateful too!

Mujuro

UPDATE: I've closed the poll now that Ceri v1.4 is out. The overwhelming response is that folks don't mind Ceri's next version requiring SKSE, so that will begin with Ceri v1.5. :) Thanks to everyone who voted and provided feedback!

Considering that nine times out of ten, SKSE updates within a day or so of a patch update, helped enormously by Steam patch betas allowing them to get a jump start.

And I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to use SKSE. It's one of those things that are basically essential.

As you have noted, SKSE allows you to do things that are impossible with the base game engine. Any user who refuses to use SKSE is already missing out on a lot of good content.

No doubt, I've been using SKSE since I first installed Skyrim, and same with OBSE for Oblivion. :P I've been trying to minimize Ceri's reliance on other dependencies whenever possible, but I'm just running out of options trying to hack around Bethesda's combat AI. With some luck, SKSE will be the solution I'm looking for. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...