Dawnguard: Kicked to 3rd person constantly.

RyuaNesha

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Level 21, and I'm far enough along in the main quest and a bunch of other faction quests that I definitely cannot imagine starting over. I'm thinking of giving this a try: a guy at the Bethsoft forums seems to say that starting a new character will fix it (which is obvious) but there seems to the suggestion that then going and loading your previous save will fix the problem in that save:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1401819-missing-texturescannot-enter-1st-person-view/

Tried this, doesn't work. The new game save is fine of course. But loading previous saved games still results in the problem. Very frustrating. I payed 20 bucks for dawnguard and now I can't play it (have to leave the esm unchecked) or download new mods that require dawnguard.

I have the same problem.

It started after I disabled and re-enable Dawnguard to purchase the alchemy lab for Breezehome -- which is currently bugged if you are running Dawnguard. Since I re-enabled it, the game was randomly switching me to zoomed in 3rd person. I'm using the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and "Less Condescending Guards" and that's it, so I don't think that it's a conflict with a mod. I also tried starting a new game. The new character was fine, but my old saves still have the problem.

I really hope someone finds a fix to this. At this point I have pretty much abandoned my high level character who is about halfway through Dawnguard to play my lower level one with the esm unchecked. I really don't have time to make a new game, I barely have free time to play games at all...

There is a function available within Papyrus to check the player's state, and whether it's currently in 1st-person or 3rd-person, and then force one or the other. I made a simple script that performed this check when the player clicks on a stone in a test cell, and I proved to myself that you can in fact force the view to change back to 1st-person from 3rd-person -- but, exactly as happens when using the 'toggle FOV' key, it reverts back to 3rd-person almost immediately. But it occurred to me that it might be possible to write a script that checks the player's state say, ten times per second, and whenever it finds the state in 3rd-person, it switches it to 1st-person; meaning that effectively, you would only ever be in 3rd-person view for a tenth of a second at most. Depending on how much computational load this puts on the game, it might be possible to bump up the repetition rate such that you'd never see yourself in 3rd-person. The last step, of course, would be somehow bind this script to an object in-game, or a power or effect or something.

I'm a complete and total beginner at using the Creation Kit, so I don't expect to have this figured out in the next day, but I am planning on putting some time into it this week and see if I can make it work. Of course, much better would be have a more experienced modder jump in and give it a try -- I'm sure such a person could probably whip up what I'm trying to do in just a few minutes. Volunteers, anyone? :)

@GregP

Dude if u manage to create this kind of script, then u deserve a medal!!

The bug occured to me just kind of random after I killed a dragon and was on the way home:/

Now i really dont enjoy playing my Necro:( I mean outside its ok i just press "F" again, but in small dungeons during a fight:/

Lets hope someone will fix this soon, is there a way maybe to completely disable third person view?So that it cant even be activated by this bug?

That script would be amazing GregP. I abandoned my 130 hours played high level character because of this bug. I could just disable Dawnguard and work on my main quests, but I decided not to in fear that the only fix would be to revert back to a very old save...which is like 30 hours ago... UGH

Also what Prokon said about disabling 3rd person would be just peachy for me....just so I can play again!!!

Edited by IRn0tM3xcn

Guys -- unfortunately I myself haven't made any progress on this. I just can't wrap my head around Papyrus...

HOWEVER -- I may have some great news. Over at the Bethesda Forums, a guy named DarkenDE took a look at one of my bugged savegames and he believes he's found the offending script. He suggests using a hex editor to change a single value in the savegame, and believes that this will fix it! It's going to be some 8-9 hours until I'm out of work and home to try this, so, anybody else want to give it a try ahead of me? Please check out his suggestion over there.

Trying this right now! Hope it works! :DD

EDIT:

IT WORKED! I can't believe it. Crazy how one little bit in the code makes all the difference. :D

So, the steps are:

1) Get a hex editor. I recommend XVI32.

2) Open up your "problem" Skyrim save in the hex editor.

3) Search for text string "dlc1playervampirechangescript".

4) Change the "1" in that text to a "2".

5) Save the file.

6) Enjoy Dawnguard in first person. :)

Thanks so much, GregP, for following up on this and digging for an answer. And thanks to DarkenDE for the fix.

Edited by bumbousdude25