I get that "youtoob" is all fun and whatnot...
If you don't have hearing issues, or bandwidth issues...
I can't begin to tell you how totally frustrating it is to look for tutorials, only to find that the one subject you wanted consists of nothing but unusuable "youtoob" links.
I'm also well aware that there are probably fifty bazillion lists of tutorials on these forums, but they don't get bumped or replied to so they get lost, or updates to resource programs (including the CK for instance) render them no longer valid or useful.
This is not a place to debate sound or hearing, it's not a place to recommend "voice to text" programs, it's not a place for "gee whiz how do you even play like that!" so don't clutter up the thread with that stuff. This is also not a place to "hate on" people who do use and enjoy video tutorials, so don't do that either. It's not a place for "help my mod didn't work", except in that troubleshooting tutorials may end up here too. If you do any of this stuff, I'll go whining to a mod to get your post edited or removed.
DO NOT LIST OR LINK ANY TUTORIAL WHICH RELIES ON A VIDEO OF ANY KIND, whether or not said video is subtitled.
The below list of "Useful Tutorials" will be updated appropriately, as people (including me) find or write such information.
Use of the CK (Creation Kit) from download to finished mod
Creating Cells, Decorating them, and Linking them to the World
- Creating an Interior Cell
- Alla's Acorns, Creating an Interior Cell (VERY basic)
- Weapons Racks and so on, Modder's Resource (Remember if you use a Resource, credit the provider.)
Crafting and World Interaction
- Sit and Sleep including how to tie either of these to a new item
- Sjogga's Sit Tutorial
- Harvest, including how to add a new harvestable item (for instance, why kill your neighbor's cow to get milk? You don't have to kill a chicken to get an egg, right?)
- Cooking including how to create and add new recipes
- Alla's Cooking Tutorial
- Forging, Tanning, Workbench (Improving), Grindstone (Improving) including how to create and add new recipes
- Alchemy including how to create and add new "potions and poisons"
- Enchanting (and spells in general) including how to create and add new spells
- Mining and Woodsplitting including how to tie an ore vein (existing or created) or a log pile to the action
Creating a New Item, including making a texture map for it, texturing it, and getting it into Skyrim
- InsanitySoul'sObj to Nif Lesson
- Help, My Shorts Are Too Shiny -- Note, this is a GIMP tutorial. There are other methods involving Nifskope, the easiest of which is just to turn the emissive and specular colours to Black.
- Alla's Texture Template
- Goujosamma's Texturing Guide
Making Scripts and Items that Do Things
- Sjogga's Dragon Claw Holders tutorial
- Sjogga's Tutorials on Basic Scripting Part One
- Sjogga's Tutorials on Basic Scripting Part Two
- Sjogga's Tutorial on Scary Dragon Priest Mask Busts
Creating Playable Races
General Neat Stuff
- Skyrim Modding Blog
- Take me to IsharaMeradin's tutorial on Using Plugins With Plugins
- Take me to Ishara's Useful Links
- Armour (and clothes)
If you think of something else you'd like to see a non-video tutorial for, please say so. If you've written such a tutorial, please feel free to post your link, or even your tute, if it's short. If you've found a link for a non-video tutorial -- and you have permission to link it -- please feel free to post it.
(and one last note -- keep it PG13, there are kid-modders out there. If something's going to have adult content, warn appropriately!)
*Ongoing edit to add links in the appropriate categories*
(Special note: Tutorials on my own site seem to view best in Firefox. But, your mileage may vary.)
Edited by Allannaa, 29 December 2013 - 03:19 PM.