Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

I suggest first, that you use a new character or coc somewhere from the main menu while testing out the changes that you do. Once you know that everything works as intended under those conditions then and only then would it be time to consider figuring out how to make it work under mid-game conditions.

Alright, I did as you suggested and tested the display by coc-ing from the main menu to the location. It worked perfectly. At first I couldn't get it to work with properly with my main character, but then when I loaded a save from a little before, it worked right. Thank you so much for your help. I hadn't run into that particular problem (of things not working for the main character) so I hadn't even though to try to coc to the display's location and whatnot.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I wonder if you guys could help me with a problem. Does anyone here know how to make a script that turns on a fountain when an activator is activated? (I am quite experienced with the CK but never got into papyrus scripting. I can write in VB.Net so I have a basic understanding.)

There is a stock script that you can use. It is called defaultActivateToggleLinkedRef.

I do not know how your fountain is set up. But the way the script works is the activator is activated and the object assigned to the myLinkedRef property will be enabled/disabled.

For a multi-part feature you would probably need to tie the individual components to a single object such as an Xmarker. The Xmarker would be an enable parent. Thus when you activate the activator and the script enables the Xmarker all of the fountain effects would enable too.

And yes, it is similar to doing a light switch.

Don't know if this list is still being updated, but I've written a tutorial about how to make pretty gemstones here. It doesn't use youtube or any other kind of video. I get the feeling that it will vanish into the depths of this forum and people won't really find it anymore, so if it could be added to the list that would be cool.

I'll be updating it with additional, more specific lessons from time to time, but the general procedure is pretty much explained completely.

Edited by Saerileth

[TONS OF TEXT HERE]

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links outside of Nexus here, but I made a few level design tutorials a year or so back; part 1, part 2, and interior decorating.

Not sure if "images" is allowed in the tutorial either, but hey it's not youtube at least.

I'd like to request that people please do not post "ready-mades" that we can simply copy/paste from, as those do not teach the "how and why" behind the results. I'd much rather know how to build a weapon mount/rack/mannequin than just have a "cheat" I can drag-n-drop in place.

That said, I actually did learn how to do that (no thanks to Bethesda's "oh just copy this from Prefabs" - though they don't tell you that you can't use those for Player Homes).

Here's a very brief translation of the tutorial I did find elsewhere on the CK website. This is what I've been reading from whenever I create a Weapon Mount:

Making a useable Left/Right Weapon Plague with Shield Rack

1. Add WeaponRackPlaquePlayerHouse and WeaponRackPlaqueACTIVATORPlayerHouse

2. LinkRef Plaque to Activator and add Keyword WRackActivator

3. LinkRef Activator to Plaque with keyword WRackTrigger

4. Cover Plaque with Activator

to optionally add weapons/shield to them (so they come already stocked),

5. Place desired item

6. LinkRef Activator to Weapon, no Keyword

Of course this assumes you know that "LinkRef" means to assign that as a Linked Reference, in the tab that says "LinkRef". Since I know this, I didn't bother adding all that into it.

As well, it assumes you're wanting to build one for your personal use, not just in the game world. If you're doing one for a non-Player-House, then use the ones that are not marked "PLAYERHOUSE".

And while the original tutorial said you can place the weapons/shield you want your plaque to come with "anywhere in the cell", I prefer to keep them close to the related plaque. Just be sure you leave enough space to click everything.

Another one that took me a bit to get the hang of, but then condensed into a "Cliff's Notes" type of thing is getting an item to cast a spell. It's actually easier than it reads.

Note that you can replace any of the specifically-named objects/references. Since this is what I was building, I left the names of what I used.

Again, it assumes you know how to LinkRef, and how to find Static items.

Make an ApoHeadScone01 shoot a StaffIncinerate spell with Japhet'sFollyCatapult ammo.

Setup steps:

1. Place ApoHeadScone01 in the scene.
2. Place FireWeaponMarker - looks like an orange arrow - in the scene - (WorldObjects>Activators>Markers)
3. Select ApoHeadScone01, click [T] button to add Trigger.
4. Select FireWeaponMarker from list of Triggers. Move Trigger Box off of ApoHeadScone01 (to easily click ApoHead when needed).

Linking everything:

5. Edit ApoHeadScone01, LinkRef to FireWeaponMarker (Orange Arrow).
6. Select Activate Parents tab>New>Select in Render Window, Trigger Box, check Parent Activate Only box.

Close dialog window (OK).

7. Edit Orange Arrow, LinkRef ApoHeadScone01.
8. Select Scripts Tab, edit defaultFireWeaponScript. Set AmmoType to dunJaphetsFollyCWCatapultAmmo, set WeaponType to StaffIncinerate.

Close window (OK).

9. Edit TriggerBox, select Primitive Tab, check PlayerActivate box, click OK.

10. Put TriggerBox around ApoHead, put Arrow in ApoHead's mouth (so it looks like it's spitting fire when it runs)

Done.

It should be noted that, for some reason, these things start automatically rather than from any Player interaction. I assumed the reason to check the PlayerActivate box was so that the Player activated them (say when you encounter the trigger). Whatever. Works for me either way.

But currently I'm faced with yet another of Bethesda's "Oh just copy/paste from Prefabs" BS regarding a mysterious Blue Marker that's supposed to trigger an enemy. I'm not using their example in my area, so this Marker doesn't compute with me.

What I've got - and what I need help with - is an enemy in place that I want to detect the player once you reach a certain spot in the very large room. As it stands now, you have to be within melee distance to be detected, which means you're dead. I need this thing to see you sooner. Anyone got a text tut on this?

Edited by DrNewcenstein

I don't understand, what's wrong with copy-pasting the coat of arms weapon racks from the vanilla player homes? I've been doing that for ages now, and never noticed anything amiss. I did delete the iron weapons that come attached to them, but other than that they're unchanged, and they seem to be working just fine. What is the difference between the game world and the player home plaques?

I do agree with you that in general its better to understand how something works before you use it, but that doesn't mean we have to reinvent the wheel every time...