Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: I was under the impression there was a version that was not attached to steam.

Hey you, welcome back! :dance:

Why do you need a version not attached to Steam? You can just get it by going to Library>Tools>Creation Kit and download it. It comes with Skyrim.

How do you update mods with the Nexus Mod Manager?

First, press the button in NMM that checks your mods for updates

Second, on a mod that indicates there is an update available click the version #

Third, after the browser opens to the mod page, read up on what has changed and decide if you do need to update or not

Fourth, if you do need to update, download the appropriate file(s)

Fifth, follow any author instructions on updating. Otherwise, install the new version and replace the current version.

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to make a given house into a "Player House", so that children and spouses will recognise it as the home? I know it has something to do with Locations and with keywords, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it myself, and someone has asked for instructions on this.

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to make a given house into a "Player House", so that children and spouses will recognise it as the home? I know it has something to do with Locations and with keywords, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it myself, and someone has asked for instructions on this.

The location(it is under "World Data") needs to have the following keywords LocTypeHouse, LocTypeDwelling, LocTypePlayerHouse.

Here is something that I had looked all over to find and figure out how to do. So I'll put all the steps in one place (this post) then you can adapt it into your growing tutorial thing.

How to make an esp plugin that is dependent upon another esp plugin.

Since the Creation Kit requires a plugin to be an esm (or master) in order to have other plugins use or replace its data, there are some necessary steps to take to fool the Creation Kit into believing that an esp is an esm file.

Step 1:

Download and install Wrye Bash -- as of this writing (Aug. 12 2012) it is necessary to install both standalone & phython versions as well as the game location version should you wish compatibility with the newest release of BOSS. Note the Wrye Bash installer will handle all the installation options, you merely have to select them in the dialog window.

Skyrim version

Step 2:

Wyre Bash should have been properly set up during install to recognize the skyrim game directories. Select the mods tab and all your installed plugins should be listed including those which are not active. Those with a check mark are active those without are not.

Step 3:

Find the plugin you want to be a temporary master. Right click on it and choose the option called Esmify Self. A warning box will pop up explaining that this feature is for advanced modders, please read it. I'd advise not to check the box that says to not show that warning again, but really it is up to you.

Step 4:

Now that the plugin is an esm you can go open the Creation Kit, but before you do LEAVE WYRE BASH OPEN! If you close Wyre Bash while an esp plugin is changed to a master it will get moved out of load order and placed at the top when you reopen Wyre Bash. Best just to leave it open so you don't need to worry about reordering the plugins later.

Step 5:

Before you can open the Creation Kit you have to also tell it to allow more than one master file. If you try to open skyrim.esm & the new masterfied esp plugin, the Creation Kit will get upset at you and tell you that you can't do that. So locate in your skyrim directory the file SkyrimEditor.ini. Open this file with a text editor, notepad will do just nicely. Scroll down till you find the entry:

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads <--- this line needs to be added to the [General] section.

by default this value is set to 0, change it to 1.

While here you may want to go ahead and change

bAllowMultipleEditors <--- this line is present by default

from 0 to 1. This is useful if you are working on one mod and want to see how another mod did something without closing your current work.

Step 6:

Save the SkyrimEditor.ini file and load up the Creation Kit. Now you can select the modified esp and it will be treated as a master, allowing you to make small changes to some records and keep the rest of the data intact for the other mod.

Step 7:

Do whatever mod work you were going to do, then save your finished product and exit Creation Kit.

Step 8:

Before testing things out in game, return to Wrye Bash and right click on the plugin you had esmified and select the option to Espify Self. This returns the file to esp plugin status. Now you can exit Wrye Bash.

Step 9:

Using whatever mod manager you prefer, ensure that your new esp is set to load AFTER the required esp. Start Skyrim and test out your mod.

Step 10:

if you have to do further work repeat the process tho steps 1, 5 & 6 only need be done once. (unless for some reason you need to reinstall the programs then you'll have to do those again)

Why would anyone want to do this you ask

it is because of as I like to call it "the nature of the plugins" meaning that when two or more plugins modify the same editor ids the last one installed gets its data and the other is left out in the cold. By making one the master or parent, the other can incorporate its' data into the first, thus allowing both the ability to function as planned. Here is an example: One plugin renames arrows to sort them. Another plugin modifies the damage, value and other aspects of the stock arrows. Whichever one of the two was placed last, gets its data. By making one a master and using its data as the base then the two plugins will work together so long as the one that was built upon is loaded first.

yeah I'm not good at making tutorials, but like I said I thought it would be helpful to have all that info in one place. Feel free to expand upon and make it read better.

Recommended INI edits - copy/paste as necessary

[General]
bAllowMultipleEditors=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

[Archive]
SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa 

I can't Thank You enough for this tutorial.

I was originally working on making my own version of a blended FrostFall, Wet&Cold, and RND.

What a foolish idea that was! No person in their right mind can accomplish all of that, and their stuff is better than anything I could make.

I discovered that my ambition and hubris were over the top, and as I worked on developing my own version, discovered that the updates to both of those mods became ALMOST exactly what I wanted as a baseline for my own Mods.

I am very into realism and immersion, and have some real world skills in survival.

I want to make an extension to Frostfall which allows the use of Layered clothing, beyond the Head, Hands, Feet, Torso, and Cloak of Frostfall.

(Given I can get Chesko to give me permission!? That's my next stop, once I determine the technique can work.)

I want to only add a few added slots for "Layered Clothing" as used by any real world artic explorer:

Mantle Slot 44

Muffler Slot 45

FaceMask Slot 55

SnowGoggles Slot 42 ( Used to prevent Slow Blindness)

Mittens Slot 48 (Goes over gloves)

Overshoes Slot 53 (Goes over Boots)

Undershirt Slot 56

LongJohns Slot 54

Kilt Slot 49

Belt Slot 57 ( Used for Ice/Rock Climbing Ropes. Repelling in Skyrim is COOL! )

This would allow the use of less than Ideal Cold weather Armor, by augmenting other than through the FrostFall slots.

The core of my mod is around North of the Sea of Ghost Nautical Travel / Exploration to establish a new Colony/Hold.

This would allow exploration into even colder regions than found in Skyrim.

Well, can't make an extension to the cold weather gear in FrostFall Skyrim, unless you can make a mod that patches FrostFall, to add a periodic bump to the exposure points.

Your tutorial is just the ticket.

Thanks Again.

Thargon VanKrill

P.S. It worked! Not a clean solution, but a working solution.

A note to those who use FrostFall, there are great changes in the works for the next version, which will make the W.E.A.R system look stoggy and inflexable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2neekc/last_seed_my_hunger_thirst_sleep_mod_is_underway/

So, while my immediate problem is solved, the new version of FrostFall as an ESM API framework will make the technique un-needed.

-

Edited by VanKrill