Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

Are we any closer to finding or writing tutrorials for some of the other items on our front page?

Also are we any closer to a scripting tute that won't go as in depth as Sjogga's does? I'm talking along the lines of "Type this in this part, to make this happen" more than "This is how it works and why". Sjogga's covers that last type better than any other one I've found.

I personally am still working with Sjogga's to learn the script itself. It's not easy but his tutorials are so much more understandable than the "official ones".

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with a scripting tutorial that says plug this in here to do this isn't going to be accurate.

Lets say you want to automatically transfer a selection of items to a container whenever it is activated.

There is no ability to 'type something in' to make it happen, the whole entire script is what makes it happen. Once the script itself is written then the tutorial could be "attach this script to the container, assign your item lists in the form list properties, etc..."

The best way to learn about scripting is to look at other scripts and see what they did, then use the wiki to read what it says about the specific command. when you can actually see something that works alongside the description it begins to get a lot lot clearer.

the problem with a scripting tutorial that says plug this in here to do this isn't going to be accurate.

Lets say you want to automatically transfer a selection of items to a container whenever it is activated.

There is no ability to 'type something in' to make it happen, the whole entire script is what makes it happen. Once the script itself is written then the tutorial could be "attach this script to the container, assign your item lists in the form list properties, etc..."

The best way to learn about scripting is to look at other scripts and see what they did, then use the wiki to read what it says about the specific command. when you can actually see something that works alongside the description it begins to get a lot lot clearer.

Good point, Ishara.

At any rate, I'm still plugging along with Sjogga's tute. I'm not sure I'm "getting" it, but at least we can understand what he writes, which is a huge plus!

Modders resource: How to implement automating sorting

I'll get to work on the next promised tutorial soon.

That's a bit more in depth than what I put together as a sample for wrenzer to try using with the no-load door homes.

They just wanted the ability to go to one container and deposit items and have only crafting items sorted out to already existing and named storage containers for each type of crafting station without having to do any other interactions. That was just one script on one container.

But that tutorial does prove my earlier point, once a script is made then you can have a tutorial that tells others how to use it.

That's a bit more in depth than what I put together as a sample for wrenzer to try using with the no-load door homes.

They just wanted the ability to go to one container and deposit items and have only crafting items sorted out to already existing and named storage containers for each type of crafting station without having to do any other interactions. That was just one script on one container.

But that tutorial does prove my earlier point, once a script is made then you can have a tutorial that tells others how to use it.

Well, I definitely agree with you on this one. There is a big difference between learning how to script and how to use scripts.

Kia ora

Yes I have a post asking this same question but I posred here with the thought in mind that this Kiwi is

maybe not the only one lost with these tasks and tutorials might be worth having.

Sadly for me I find most tutorials are written by programmers and they tend to write with their mind set

and understanding and novice's like me have no idea what they'er saying a lot of the time because things are

not explained. A lot Beths tutorials seen to tell you WHAT can be done, not HOW to do it.

I tried to do a secret door in a mod I made, (simple task right) placed the wall activator where

I wanted it linked the pull chain to the parent which is the wall right. Went in game yanked the chain, not a

hint of action

I'd like to know how to setup both a ring puzzle door and the gateway portal doors used in Dawnguard

both the ring puzzle doors and the gate ways have so many option drop downs on the the scripts tab,

the ghost cast a spell to raise the gateway

I would like to have the player find a tome some place the teach's a spell to activate the Elven gateways

so the rise and the player as access to the portal an/or use the egg switch so they need an egg to unlock

it so that maybe the spell only works if they have the key (correct coloured egg for eg;) place in the device

Like the Ring Puzzle door the Elven Gateway Portals have lost me I understand the reflink between the switch and the ring

or the door (sort of, back to link to parent right?) but I don't get how the key (Dragon Claw or Egg) is linked and checked I'm thinking the keys

IDname is used some how if a Ref to check true/false but I have no idea how

I want to see a tutorial on how to use Blender specifically for Skyrim.

Most tutorials take you thru the importing and exporting but don't actually walk you thru an example of editing. They only say that there are "plenty of generic blender tutorials" out there. The few that link to a 'highly recommended' tutorial, link to a tutorial that has been updated and no longer describes the version of Blender that is supposed to be used.

I just want someone to take me thru getting the mesh properly into Blender, do some basic safe edits to it, as an example take an armor from UNP and put it onto CBBE. then export it out.

I seem to have a 50/50 shot as is with the current tutorials as to whether or not I can even get a nif to import into Blender.