How to create a compatibility patch?

leron9999

Hello all! I've recently created my first mod, and people have requested for compatibility patches for it. I just wanted to ask if there are any available tutorials to create a separate .esp patch that makes two different mods compatible with each other. I've gotten a good headstart , but I'm not sure if that's what I'm really after (since it only makes a mod become another mod's master) since it doesn't create a separate .esp patch. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Here is an old Oblivion tutorial: Compatibility Patch Creation Tutorial. It seems like there is almost no documentation on this subject.

Basically what you need to do is similar to what you like what you have already done. This is what you do:

(1) Build a brand new mod that is empty and doesn't edit anything yet.

(2) Use Wrye Bash to esmify the two .esps that you want to edit and make compatible.

(3) Load the two mods as masters and your patch mod as the active file.

(4) Make your edits to make the two mods work together right.

(5) Save the file.

(6) Use Wrye Bash to espify the mods before play-testing.

(7) If you need to fix bugs and make changes, you must go back to step 2 and esmify again.

You are constantly espifying and esmifying. Do the wrong thing at the wrong time and serious damage occurs. Fail to esmify before editing in the CK, and your patch is now garbage fit only to be deleted. You need to make lots and lots of backups of your patch with different names and ages so if you ruin your patch through failure to esmify, then you can revert to a recent save. Fail to espify before playtesting , and your savegame could be ruined if you save.

If you have the will to learn this skill you can do it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TESVEdit is useful for figuring out where the conflicts are. You still have to actually create the patch, though, and that will probably involve the creation kit.

You can create the patch with TES5. The CK is not needed nor is any other program.

But if you create a patch with the CK other programs are needed.