Game keeps crashing to desktop

Alendar0

Hello everyone!

I'd like to request your help in resolving an issue I've had for a week or so now. Skyrim keeps crashing to desktop lately, and I have no idea why. I thought it was because I installed Dawnguard, but uninstalling that didn't help. I tried everything I could think of - first I remade my load order in Boss and Wrye Bash, which didn't help. I've activated every mod I have (about fifty of them) on its own without other mods, but I couldn't find anything and the game kept crashing. I uninstalled and deleted Skyrim, Dawnguard and all my mods and then redownloaded and reinstalled everything twice, but to no avail. After the second complete reinstall I once again checked every mod on its own but again, I couldn't find anything. All of this I tried with several save files to make sure it wasn't caused by my latest save that simply got corrupted, but that wasn't the case. None of my save files worked.

I'm hoping someone can help me resolve this issue as I'm dying to play Dawnguard which, frankly, is impossible right now.

Thank you,

Alendar0

Wrye load order:

Active Mod Files:

• 00 Skyrim.esm

• 01 Update.esm

• 02 Dawnguard.esm

• 03 HighResTexturePack01.esp

• 04 HighResTexturePack02.esp

• 05 breezehomelightfix.esp

• 06 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [Version 1.1]

• 07 chopping_block_wood_fires.esp

• 08 DFG's Blade & Dagger Sheathe Sounds.esp

• 09 immersive thunder.esp

• 0A Realistic Lighting.esp

• 0B enhancedlightingforrealisticlighting.esp

• 0C ImprovedSkillBooks.esp

• 0D invulnerableuniquehorses.esp

• 0E KillThemGenerals.esp

• 0F moredragonloot.esp

• 10 new guards.esp

• 11 smithingextended.esp

• 12 whistle.esp

• 13 Auto Unequip Ammo.esp

• 14 ApotheusLightArmor_by_GuitunScarfin.esp

• 15 Berserk Black Swordsman Armor.esp [Version 1.0]

• 16 Cloaks - No Imperial.esp

• 17 Cloaks.esp

• 18 hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp

• 19 Light Armor Hoods - Normal Armor Value.esp

• 1A PrvtI_HeavyArmory.esp

• 1B DeadlyDragons.esp

• 1C DragonsDiversified.esp

• 1D Masters of Death.esp

• 1E armored-horses.esp

• 1F Better Dynamic Snow.esp

• 20 faster vanilla horses.esp

• 21 Fortify1H-Daggers.esp

• 22 helmless_warrior.esp

• 23 Sneak Tools Vanilla Hoods.esp

• Delinquent Master: Sneak Tools.esp

• 24 Sneak Tools Vanilla Masks.esp

• Delinquent Master: Sneak Tools.esp

• 25 detailed outskirts.esp

• 26 Detailed Cities.esp

• 27 dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp

• 28 Sneak Tools.esp

• 29 The Dance of Death.esp

• 2A Crimson Tide - Blood.esp

• 2B flexibleperktrees.esp

• 2C perksbymatope.esp

• 2D Purewaters.esp

• 2E barenziahquestmarkers.esp

• 2F House Markers.esp

• 30 combatworthywhirlwindsprint.esp

• 31 customhjerim.esp

• 32 wolves.esp

First off, you need to use only one of :

Cloaks - No Imperial.esp

Cloaks.esp

And to run both:

DeadlyDragons.esp

DragonsDiversified.esp,

you need a compatibility patch found on the Deadly Dragons page.

But seeing as you keep crashing even when you try mods one by one, this may not be the cause. Perhaps it's a corrupted save game?

Start a new game using only:

00 Skyrim.esm

01 Update.esm

02 Dawnguard.esm

03 HighResTexturePack01.esp

04 HighResTexturePack02.esp

Tell us what happens.

When you in the game itself (when your character is on the screen)do the following.

1, Press alt ctrl and del this will take you onto the windows screen

2, Select task manager

3, Click on the processes tab and then scroll down to the steam.exe click that and then click end process

4, Then click the applications tab, then click on the skyrim.exe then click on the switch to.

Thats it you should now be able to play the game with no crashes, apparently i read that steam can cause crashes in games, anyway give it a go.

First off, thanks for your quick replies.

ulfricuk, I tried your suggestion but unfortunately, the game kept crashing.

asdgora, I'm not sure if it can be a corrupted save file as I must have tried dozens of different save files but the game still keeps crashing in each and every one of them. I'll go and fire up a new game now and see how that goes. On a sidenote, I've turned off Cloaks - No Imperial and Dragons Diversified. Thanks for pointing those two things out. :)

Here is a link to my troubleshooting blog.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4751769/1/#new

This is updated often so come back later for more.

If you use any of this and have some success - or even if nothing works - please post back here what you did that worked or didn't work. That kind of information can be invaluable to other members having the same or similar problems - And to me in fixing any problems in the blog.

bben46, thank you for your reply. I'll take a look at your blog and see if I can find anything related to my issues.

asdgora, I just started a new game with all mods turned off like you said and it worked fine. My crashes usually occur within one minute after loading a game and I managed to get to Riverwood, so that should be fine. I also started a new game with all my mods turned on and with that, I also managed to get to Riverwood. So perhaps it is in fact a corruption or something in all my save files of my main character?

Edited by Alendar0

It's not that the save game is corrupted, it's that they carry residual scripts from mods. Maybe your main game can still be saved?

Enable papyrus looging. Open YourUsername/Documents/My Games /Skyrim /skyrim.ini and add the following lines at the bottom:

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

Run the game and play till you crash, go to YourUsername/Documents/My Games /Skyrim/ and you'll find a file called "logs" inside of which you'll find a log called "Papyrus.0.log", open it with notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ and tell us what lines of errors are repeated and what script ran last before you crashed.

So I've tried that Papyrus logging thing and when my game crashed, I couldn't find a log file anywhere. I've included two screenshots, one of Skyrim.ini and one of the Skyrim folder in My Games in Documents so you can check if I did things right.

Thanks again!

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3655/skyrimfolderandlackoflo.jpg