Heavy Traffic ×

Clear tool?

Stemin

Is there a tool that acts like a brush, but instead of leaving a color, it clears whatever you run your mouse over? I'm trying to do some runes on a hood, but they're very small and the thought of outlining them and making them look like cloth is very intimidating and I thought it would be easier to just duplicate the layer, change the color of the upper layer and "clear" the runes using the original cloth texture underneath. Using CS5

Is there a tool that acts like a brush, but instead of leaving a color, it clears whatever you run your mouse over? I'm trying to do some runes on a hood, but they're very small and the thought of outlining them and making them look like cloth is very intimidating and I thought it would be easier to just duplicate the layer, change the color of the upper layer and "clear" the runes using the original cloth texture underneath. Using CS5

The eraser? This sounds like such an obvious answer I'm not sure I've quite grasped what you're asking.

You could also do the colour change without using a new layer and use the history brush instead.

The eraser? This sounds like such an obvious answer I'm not sure I've quite grasped what you're asking.

You could also do the colour change without using a new layer and use the history brush instead.

Oh wow. Yes. That's exactly what I needed. I was looking for something that worked the same as the "clear" command under edit, but with a brush, and the eraser does just that. I never used it before and honestly wasn't sure how it worked. Didn't even think about it.

Thank you.

Oh wow. Yes. That's exactly what I needed. I was looking for something that worked the same as the "clear" command under edit, but with a brush, and the eraser does just that. I never used it before and honestly wasn't sure how it worked. Didn't even think about it.

Thank you.

No probs, PS is a blessing and a curse isn't it? So many options you can easily miss them!

Not sure I like how it turned out.... Not exactly what I was going for.

Guessing at what you don't like (and may point you to slightly wrong things here, I'm still on CS2), but, I'd say use the eraser on "block" rather than "brush" which will give you properly sharp and square edges to what you're deleting (or up the hardness of the eraser brush which will give you sharp and round), then use the "blur" tool (the one on the bar with eraser etc, not a filter/blur effect) to soften those edges up as much as you/don't want.

Edited by tetradite

Guessing at what you don't like (and may point you to slightly wrong things here, I'm still on CS2), but, I'd say use the eraser on "block" rather than "brush" which will give you properly sharp and square edges to what you're deleting (or up the hardness of the eraser brush which will give you sharp and round), then use the "blur" tool (the one on the bar with eraser etc, not a filter/blur effect) to soften those edges up as much as you/don't want.

The runes don't bother me how they turned out. They're ok.... just the style. I think maybe I would have gotten better results with either going with the greybeard mesh (instead of using the mage hood) or else completely doing a different style of runes. I think I would have been happier with something like this:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/uploads/d424a80f76e16bf552a09fae02fee808_130661.jpg?_r=0

But I'm not a good enough texture artist to pull off that level of detail, so I went for this:

http://images.cosplay.com/thumbs/33/339785.jpg

But like I said.. I'm not sure that's the right mesh for that kind of design. That hood is too sleek and I'm also not sure I like the overlap at the bottom (although _that_ I could fix with a texture edit).

I could make a custom mesh, but it's so much more work.

Edited by Stemin

Or maybe one of the Dark Brotherhood cowls?

I'm clueless with meshes. That's next on my list. All I can to do is PS fiddling and CK texturesets :thumbsup:

I highly recommend Nightasay's tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/NightasyTutorials

But the whole .nif system is just a PITA, IMO. A texture replacer is simple. You just edit the dds file and make a normal map or whatever is required. But if you don't want a replacer, then the only way I know to do it is copy and rename all the .nif's associated with that item and then add the item with the CK. Lots of redundant stuff like editing the blocks in nifskope, 2 for males, 2 for females, 2 for argonians, 2 for argonian females, etc. etc. It's a time consuming, PITA.

Making your own mesh is actually kinda fun, but then you have the same problem. You have to edit the mesh for each body style to make sure it fits and then play in nifskope for each one.

The redundant parts keep me from getting anything done because I only feel like doing a little at a time.