Why is RFCW/TTW so popular?

Deleted2547005User

I start this to get some insight into why RFCW/TTW are so popular, and to answer some of the questions I've seen recently regarding the mods. I didn't work on RFCW for popularity's sake, nor did I start TTW for the same reason. Maybe it's just me and my ethics or mindset if you will, but I never saw it as a 'big deal' (aside from the licensing issues of course - those are major issues). Since its banishment (not the word I want to use but can't think of anything better to describe it) I've seen several Topics on what happened to it, where is it, where can I get it, and one was started by an upset member (who got banned for it) demanding to know why the Nexus removed it, suggesting that the nexus was biased against it (he used more vulgar wording).

The opportunity to play one game in another engine is an exciting prospect but it never seemed that big a deal really. For me, I choose to support the mod because I liked the idea but hated the half-assed approach that was RFCW at the time. Twenty-Two plugins was simply crazy, and the updates that followed never made it as good as it could've been. I choose to do things on my own, and the knowledge I learned helped Yukichigai to improve the mod - which at the time was barely supported by the original uploader. After a while I started to help out in an official manner and helped Yukichigai create the 5.0AE (5.1AE) update. After that update, I went onto doing the next update, and with other like minded individuals we started TTW and an overall different approach to the idea of playing Fallout 3 in New Vegas. Of course that is all history now, but you know why I was interested in the mod - wasn't out of popularity, but because I wanted to play such a mod without the constant bugs and crashes.

So, I liked to know why such a mod was so popular to begin with, and why after its banishment (again, not the word I want to use but can't think of anything better to describe it) people still wish to get it and play it. To me, it is nothing more than a porting mod, allowing you to play a game you've played before, in a better engine. Not really as exciting as a new quest mod like Angel Park or Beyond Boulder Dome. As I said, I like the idea, but in the pool of mods out there, it doesn't seem to be as exciting as it sounds - stands out, but not really adding anything new.

I will now take this time to answer some of those questions to those Topics so they can be put to rest, I'm frankly getting tired of seeing them being repeated again and again, so hopefully some information from the former Project Lead of TTW will close them. This may come off as long winded, but I want to get all the details out there.

The big one: Where can I get it/ Where is it?

I won't tell you where to get it, even if I was allowed to. I do not wish it to exist anymore, and don't ever wish it to be uploaded elsewhere again. I may no longer be the Project Lead - or part of the team altogether - but I have expressed this to my replacement, Dandys, and he wishes the same as I. Since I have given him full control, he can take it down at his whim - and I hope they do. I didn't request that it be taken down myself because I did not want to enforce that decision upon the entire team (who wanted it uploaded in the first place) and then leave the team afterward. It would be a very selfish and would only insight descent among the team and community. I have expressed that it be taken down to Dandys, and he is in agreement.

What happened to it?

Simple, it is no longer allowed. The Nexus has never allowed porting content between games that do not allow their assets to be used in another game, even games created by the same developers. RFCW/TTW have been an extremely fine line, never directly uploading assets from Fallout 3 for New Vegas, and never uploading any of the actual files needed for Fallout 3. But it facilitated porting content, which isn't allowed by the licenses that Bethesda signed for the assets they used in Fallout 3. Allowing mods like RFCW/TTW to exist without any action would lead them to getting sued by the license holders, which could bankrupt them and they would be unable to continue making games. After accusations that TTW enabled Piracy of Fallout 3 and a discussion with the entire administrative staff, it was decided that mods like RFCW/TTW should not be allowed on the Nexus, harking back to a previous discussion between Dark0ne and I, a conversation I completely brain-faded on. Bethesda doesn't allow mods like RFCW/TTW, and neither does the Nexus out of respect for Bethesda's wishes.

That is all that needs to be said about the banishment of RFCW/TTW. There is no rationalizing the decision, there is no debate of the rules. I took down the mod as I was told to. End of story.

Will it ever be uploaded again?

Don't know. You know my feelings on the matter though.

Why did you leave the team?

I wanted to. I've been working on TTW for eight months and on RFCW for two months before that, I wanted to do something else. I have personal interests I have been neglecting or keep going back to with more frequency as of late and I wanted to clear my free time for them, that meant leaving the team. Since TTW is no longer 'public', and the work on the project is possibly never going further than the ten members (now) on the team, each member of the team has been more liberal with their personal touches, making it a truly unique experience for each team member. I felt my increasingly dissociated presence on the team would be not be best for the team, so I handed all rights of the mod to Dandys, the person responsible for TTW's unique direction and constant presence since its inception.

Some of you may find that selfish of us that we are doing this for ourselves, and that we (at least Dandys and I) don't wish it to be uploaded anywhere. I really don't care if those of you who feel that we are selfish can't see beyond your own wants, so please, leave the hate and disillusions at the door. I've dealt with those of that ilk when we started the Beta Testing back in March, thirty people signed up, but only about twelve ever reported bugs and actually helped us improve the mod before we uploaded it here at the Nexus for its short lifespan. The rest simply took it as another 'update' and ran off with it. That was disrespectful and as a Kansas City boy I don't take that lightly. I try to respect everyone at all times and only wish that in return without asking for it - shouldn't have to ask.

In summary, the team still works on the mod, but whether or not it will ever be public again - I do not know.

I hope that answers your questions, because I will not answer them again.

Edited by Kuroitsune

I'm going to keep this short and polite,

For me TTW was so popular because I liked the concept but, more importantly was working with a likeminded team! We had mutual goals, talked almost daly about our progress. Bounced ideas around and, it was generally a lot of fun even when I disagreed with the majority of the team.

After reading this I'm feeling a bit offended! You just left a bad taste in my mouth! I had no issue with you when you wanted to leave the team and, go on your own path. Now I read you and, dawdys are going to kill the project!

Really!!!!

Why didn't you have the nuts to tell me this weeks ago? I was talking to you constantly about the progress on the TTW Player home, Shooting off WIP Screens, bouncing ideas around about the themes. Why wouldn't you at least tell me that I should focus on NVInt, Hold off on TTW because some decisions are going to be made in the near future!

You've wasted my time, efforts and, energy! I thought you had more respect for me!

I'm feeling used at the moment, (wether it was intentional or, not!) Was I there to stroke your ego?

chuck

Edit, and, I had to read this in the open forums! not in a personal conversation from you is extremely offensive.

Edited by chucksteel

I never said it would be taken down Chuck, just that Dandys agrees with my position. He's a reasonable man - I'm not. If I acted on my impulse, I would have taken them down without even telling the team before hand. That is one of the reasons why I left the team in Dandys' hands, because he's reasonable. Last I heard, he hasn't planned on doing anything about it. I impressed upon him when I gave over control to him that I was thinking about taking down the mod, and he agreed on that, but never said he would actually do it. I know this puts both me and him in the hot seat, but it's something that should be said for the community so they know what might or might not happen. My wanting to do take down the mod is barely over a week old, a decision only came to a day before I handed everything over to Dandys.

I am disappointed with your post, very disappointed, not only is it personal, it will probably get you banned. I have never used you, and am shocked you would think I would use you for my personal gains. I gave you feedback, bounced ideas off you because you were so invested in the mod. I didn't want to tell you to quit because the file might get taken down - I have no idea what will happen. Maybe I'll change my mind, maybe Dandys will not take it down - I don't know what will happen. I have had the utmost respect for you - and everyone else - but after reading your post I'm left wondering.

Fixed original post. They way I worded the second to last paragraph made it seem as though the team wasn't going to work on the mod as a public one. I never intended to word it as such, so I've fixed it. I do not sugar coat things, I tell it like it is, and do not wish to mislead people.

I can get too blunt at times, and completely screw things up word wise. In summary, the team still works on the mod, but whether or not it will ever be public again - I do not know.

Edited by Kuroitsune

I used TTW because FO3 crashes on me all the time, it lags more and I enjoy the better integrated hardcore mode from FNV. Plus it was nice to travel back and forth with the same equipment and companions for fun.

You do come off as rather cold in that post Kuro. Hell, speculating that he will be banned with no reasonable justification (e.g. offensive language) just makes you come off as an ass.

Anyway, I always thought RFCW was on the legal side of things, just like the mod that allowed F3 DLC content in NV. Was that mod removed to?

I start this to get some insight into why RFCW/TTW are so popular

I think a big attraction for me was one unbroken story line. I was able to grow up in vault 101 & save the capital wasteland in FO3, destroy the enclave the enclave in BS, free NV and win the battle of hoover dam in FONV, have a final reckoning in LR etc etc, all with the same hero.

The 2nd draw was the possibility of expanding my choice of adventure mods to include FO3 nexus in FONV. While that didn't quite pan out (with a few exceptions), I am on an old version of RFCW and I am hopeful TTW will work better. I also have a soft spot for dogmeat (one cool pup), so it's nice to have the option of FO3 companions along with their history (as opposed to just making a NV version of dogmeat).

You might ask the same question re: total conversions. Say FO1 or 2 to the FO3 engine. I think it's all about gathering separate/individual great games and lore into one singularity of awesomeness that becomes more than the sum of it's parts.

Not really as exciting as a new quest mod like Angel Park or Beyond Boulder Dome.

I understand your point that this isn't new material, but that doesn't mean it can't function as a base for such. As a mod author, I'd be excited to have several more worldspaces available across the western seaboard. DC, the pitt, anchorage & point lookout are all awesome assets and they all lend themselves to detailing and expanding.

But most importantly I just wanted to say thanks. Because of your work, I had a new spin on my game that I enjoyed for hours of additional play and I appreciate the time that you put into the mod for the community :thumbsup: