Why is RFCW/TTW so popular?

Deleted2547005User

I don't see any fault in your initial post in this thread, or your subsequent one. It's not as though you started a new project, got everyone to put in a ton of work, then just canned the project on a whim. You've not canned the project at all, you've passed it on, as you said, and that is your right. You don't owe anyone anything; you're doing this for free. Furthermore, it's not your fault about the licensing laws, so you can hardly be blamed for that.

There's nothing wrong with being direct, and I think it's a good thing that you've laid it out on the table, so everyone is clear what's going on. Don't pay any attention to those criticising you, and don't let them make you doubt yourself. You've done nothing wrong, as far as I can see.

I'm saying all this as the type of criticism is all too familiar to me. I think it's good to listen to others and learn from them, but sometimes you gotta be thick-skinned and trust your own reason. People speak from their own emotions, and can twist all sorts of clever bogus logic into it, to make you doubt yourself.

I'm starting to sound paranoid now, heh. But you get what I'm saying. You're not being too blunt and you're definitely not screwing things up word-wise. On the contrary, you're very articulate.

Anyway, about RFCW/TTW, I only played it briefly once myself.

When I first heard about the project, I was really excited, a very long time ago. I really liked the idea of having a wider Fallout world to explore, and connecting the Capital Wasteland and the Mojave into one game seemed like a good way to do that. Just to have a wider world to explore. It's the same kind of spirit behind projects like GTS and even Beyond Boulder Dome.

Though, like I said, I only played it once briefly, as in reality I was bored with Fallout 3, as it was way too familiar, so it didn't have the feeling of exploring a wider world and discovering new things. Which is why I went into creating BBD, as I wanted some "new" places to explore.

Also, the two games never felt integrated enough for me. Even though physically connected, they still felt divorced in many ways, which just killed the immersion for me, which is why I never played it much.

But I was always impressed with the work that went into it, and that work is never wasted as I'm sure it taught you a lot.

Do you have future modding plans/ideas?

I don't see any fault in your initial post in this thread, or your subsequent one. It's not as though you started a new project, got everyone to put in a ton of work, then just canned the project on a whim. You've not canned the project at all, you've passed it on, as you said, and that is your right. You don't owe anyone anything; you're doing this for free. Furthermore, it's not your fault about the licensing laws, so you can hardly be blamed for that.

There's nothing wrong with being direct, and I think it's a good thing that you've laid it out on the table, so everyone is clear what's going on. Don't pay any attention to those criticising you, and don't let them make you doubt yourself. You've done nothing wrong, as far as I can see.

I'm saying all this as the type of criticism is all too familiar to me. I think it's good to listen to others and learn from them, but sometimes you gotta be thick-skinned and trust your own reason. People speak from their own emotions, and can twist all sorts of clever bogus logic into it, to make you doubt yourself.

I'm starting to sound paranoid now, heh. But you get what I'm saying. You're not being too blunt and you're definitely not screwing things up word-wise. On the contrary, you're very articulate.

Anyway, about RFCW/TTW, I only played it briefly once myself.

When I first heard about the project, I was really excited, a very long time ago. I really liked the idea of having a wider Fallout world to explore, and connecting the Capital Wasteland and the Mojave into one game seemed like a good way to do that. Just to have a wider world to explore. It's the same kind of spirit behind projects like GTS and even Beyond Boulder Dome.

Though, like I said, I only played it once briefly, as in reality I was bored with Fallout 3, as it was way too familiar, so it didn't have the feeling of exploring a wider world and discovering new things. Which is why I went into creating BBD, as I wanted some "new" places to explore.

Also, the two games never felt integrated enough for me. Even though physically connected, they still felt divorced in many ways, which just killed the immersion for me, which is why I never played it much.

But I was always impressed with the work that went into it, and that work is never wasted as I'm sure it taught you a lot.

Do you have future modding plans/ideas?

Thank you for your support.

I know people will be detractors, and some still may believe I've canned the mod with my actions, but that is far from the truth. Though my personal wish is that it doesn't get out there in the vastness of the world, I will not hold Dandys and the team to that, I gave them my mod, they are free to do with it as they please, I will not interfere even if I disagree. My biggest fear in all of this is that my choice in leaving the team leads to its destruction and eventually the mod itself. I do not wish that to happen, the community has supported the team for a long time, and I don't want something they enjoy fall apart because a change in the team dynamic.

I enjoyed working on TTW and not playing for the reason that playing Fallout 3 again bored the hell out of me. I still tested and played the game, but Fallout 3 is rather old for me. I've never completed New Vegas, Honest Hearts, or Dead Money, so the prospect of playing them is exciting. Connecting the two worlds is the hardest part, as it has, as you say, always felt disconnected. The biggest reason why was the time line. Going from one side of the map to the other without passage of real time is a big killer. My Epic Travel idea helped bridge the two worlds, even still, there were a few issues that always centered around the time line. They weren't big, but left a hole that wasn't easy to fill.

The work that went into it forced us to rethink a lot of the requirements to make a mod. Especially TTW. Merging two Master files with a total of 1.3 million records wasn't an easy task, and a lot of pitfalls were discovered in the process. But each one of those pitfalls enlightened us into the mechanics in the game, allowing us to exploit it and eventually learn new ways to mod, and overcome those issues. I have debated making a thread of these discoveries and solutions to help other modders, but I don't know if my knowledge will actually help anyone. One of the issues we discovered:

When making changes to weather records, mainly changing the light values, we discovered FNVEdit doesn't read it all properly, mainly the cloud layer colors - it only reads one of the four layers. Coping information from one file to another would 0 out the other three layers, giving us a black level for the other three cloud layers at High Noon and Midnight. The solution was to delete the parent record, then copy it's overwrite from the other file back into its parent file.

I could go on.

As for what I will do now? I don't know. I was thinking of doing a mod that increased the detail of LOD in the game. CyberLazy has been a big help with that. I have high detail Landscape LOD (the hard - long part) for all New Vegas worldspaces, but a bug with the GECK prevents accurate updating of the Object LOD, causing serious texture glitches.

Another mod I wanted to do, and am more excited about was adding Random Encounters to the Mojave. I hate that they never added any to the Mojave, despite its active setting and large area. I never found a mod that really added a vast array of encounters. I have added a lot of encounters to my list, but am hindered by the lack of dialogue. Adding new dialogue opens a lot of possibilities of more and unique encounters.

Edited by Kuroitsune

I really like the random encounters idea, as I'm all for mods that actually improve the vanilla game (as they are few and far between, in my opinion.) If you're looking for it, I'd be happy to help however I can.

What is the problem with dialogue? Is it just the lack of voice actors?

I would love some help with it, but I have to finish the story boarding first and another project first.

Basically yes the issue is voice actors. With the lack of new dialogue, it limits the encounters to regular patrols or combat scenarios. I can always ignore the voice acting part, and simply add the encounters without voice acting. It's not really required to actually make the encounter work, just quiet.

Voice acting won't be a problem. I have a great contact base of high-quality actors, as well as a virtually inexhaustible resource if we need new ones.

If you listen to the voices in BBD, most of them are excellent in my opinion. There are one or two that are more average, but they were cast in the early days, and I didn't think it fair to recast them.

So if you want to send me scripts when they're ready, along with character descriptions and descriptions of the voices you want, I'm confident I can get you voices you'll be very happy with.

Edited by rjhelms84

Another mod I wanted to do, and am more excited about was adding Random Encounters to the Mojave. I hate that they never added any to the Mojave, despite its active setting and large area.

Agreed. This is an excellent idea. The Mojave is so small that after the first playthrough/thorough exploration of the map I knew where the bad guys (and other planted NPCs out in the gameworld) were. That's one big advantage FO3 has over NV in gameworld exploration. Until I'd learned where all the random encounters were I didn't know what to expect on the map and even then I never did see every possible random encounter in all of my play time.

• 2 weeks later...