Black Smoke Effect on Character

VictoriaG

• 3 months later...

Same issue for me !!! :-( check my post http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/849732-issue-with-black-smoke-coming-out-of-my-character-in-dawnguard-please-help/

Did you find a solution??

This is what I did

I am using Dawnguard and I chose to become a vampire.

Once I completed The Bloodstone Chalice quest and get a chance to take one of the death hound CuSith as a follower, my character has been affected by some sort of black fog or aura similar to the one that affects the dogs themselves (or corrupted shade).

There is nothing that I can do to remove that aura other than the following:

- via console do a sexchange twice in 3rd person, the aura goes away but once I return to 1st person view I start "smoking" again (even when ridding horse).

- If I transform to a vampire lord then the aura goes away after the transformation but then comes back when changing form.

- That is true even if I drop all my items.

- The only way that I can get rid of that aura is to go back to a regular skyrim location, save then quit and deactivate dawnguard.esm, start the game and load the game, the black smoke/aura/fog is then gone.

- I have done some research online and saw other people having a similar issue but no resolution to date (many are listed here but I could not find mine: http://test.zhaoxinpeng.com/viewjy.php?id=48b37f8d49dfcc1a64648826 )

- If I reload a savegame before the choice to become vampire (first time entering Castle Volkihar) and then my character is fine again (so I guess the installation is not corrupted).

Any other ideas or things you've tried?

Edited by flaouze

OK I finally found the solution to the black fog/smoke/aura !!

using the console do the following in 3rd person view:

player.addspell 020028EB

player.removespell 020028EB

It turned out that by taking one of the Dawnguard Death Hound (dog) as follower (e.g. CuSith) you get "contaminated" with this Death Hound FX !! Must be a bug but I am sooo glad I found the fix!!!

Don't forget that you can determine all the HEX codes by using the console.

Try the following:

help nocturnal 0

and then use Page Up and Down to find an interesting one.

or can also try

help fx 0

(basically replace the 2nd part of the command by any string that you can think of until you find it, then use the player.addspell/removespell to do the trick!)

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone. I have had a similar issue, however none of these steps have solved it. I believe the effect that is on me is not from the dog (i never took him as a companion). The last thing I remember doing is destroying the reaper in the Soul Cairn and I believed I turned into Vamp Lord and used bats a few times to travel faster. I then realized this dark aura was around me. At first I thought it was some sort of buff, perhaps from killing the reaper, until I went into first person view and realized how hindering it truly was. I attemped to add and remove all of the bats spells with no luck, and I cannot find any spells listed under help reaper 0, vampirelord0, or revertform 0. I have (somehow) managed to keep the buff off of my third person model, yet it continues to show up in my first person view (exact opposite of what i would have been okay with). Below is a picture of the effect before it ceased on my third person view model. To me it seems the look of the vamplord change but that is not listed under any spell i know of. Hopefully someone here can help, would be very much appreciated.