Bethaseda gave us 9 new Crafting Categories to customize.

GFHuber

Hellow fellow Modderinos

So most who dealt with Craftign Mods do know that there was bit of a limitation on the Category side. It seamd now that with Dawnguard or at least the update of Skyrim to Dawnguard have us 10 new GenericCraftingMaterialType categorys to rename and use one of wich is used by Dawnguard itself. So that leaves us with 9 and replaces the Neddle in a Heystack problem of having 100+ items in one category to every crafting mod using and renaming the new 9 generic an cousing a butload of compatibility issues. Since i don't know much about the Datastructur in the archives and the inner workings of the UI is want to ask here if anyone has looked into increasing the numbers of the new slots in the same way they did in the Dawnguard Patch. If so we could start a thread where People write down wich Categorys they are using, what Keyword they bind to them as so to minimize Comp issues.

The Gategorys can be foudn via the Game Settings and General Objects / filter keyword

MfG GFHuber

The actual categories appear to be hard coded into the game engine. It would have been the 1.7706 update that made these available, while Dawnguard simply added the strings needed to access them. Note that the source code of the updated crafting script from Dawnguard is not available.

Two more threads on customizing crafting categories here and here.

Edited by steve40

Thanks for sending me the PM steve, I have been off the board a couple of days now. My trip to Germany is winding down and i have been fairly busy. I have re-read the two threads you posted and from that i have to say I am fairly unimpressed with this news.

I see two major problems:

1, as Huber said the problem of there being 9 slots and people using these categories randomly and having tons of compatibility issues. In the end I think 9 big mods will stake their claim and the small guys will be left in the cold (hell yes the pun was intended!)

2, even if mods start using these slots, i think the main problem we will have is that Beth is already using these. I don;t see any other reason for them to add these new slots. It makes no sense to add 10 and then use one for dawngaurd and then leave 9 to be used by modders. I think much more possible is that these were added because of the next DLC. And once that hits the shelves, no matter if it is good or bad, the idea of using those categories for mods kinda flies out the window.

As you said in the other thread there may be an ability to do this via SKSE and decompiling the Menu files and all that jazz. If done right I think "all" it would require is to edit the menu files and set up the AS to allow an indefinite amount of key words, then have SKSE pass that info along. I have not looked at the menu files at all yet, and all my AS experience is from the days before AS3 was even being conceived let alone used in Flash. (oh the good old days in the early 2000's of AS2)

I wish I had spent more time learning coding in general so I could give some real useful input, but as it stands i spent all my computer time learning to be creative and making things look pretty.

I have had this speculation:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/764668-small-speculation-about-custom-crafting-categories/page__gopid__6158348#entry6158348

But since you say that they are hardcoded into the engine and not the UI, I guess that complicated things a little bit.

However, I still feel it is possible to create an alternative Crafting UI, which would add custom categories by using keywords.

Basically, if the object does not have crafting material keywords, it would be placed under "misc".

So if there would be a script in the UI, which would look for specific keywords and cut pieces off them, thus putting the items into a custom category (while they might also appear under misc as well). Such as:

UICustomMatBone

The UI would look for any keywords that starts with UICustomMat and will create a category with whatever comes after that, in this case, Bone.

Once again, flash is not my specialty at all, but from what I have seen, I feel like it might just be possible.

• 2 months later...

"If so we could start a thread where People write down wich Categorys they are using, what Keyword they bind to them as so to minimize Comp issues."

So far I know:

The TERA armour mod is on slot 7

The Immersive Armor mod is on slot 8

I also know that in a case of conflict, the items from the mod getting overwriten will return to the Misc catagory.

Does anyone else know, who is using what slots, before I pick one to use? (I was on 7 untill I discovered Tera was on it)

Alternative to clogging up the forge menus, would be to offer a recipe book ingame, and have the recipes show up only when you have the mats. I did something *similar* to this in my Fur Hoods mod. If I ever get back to updating it, that's exactly what I will do.

I loaded up on mods and started playing a lot recently, and I can't say enough just how bloody annoying it is to craft with mods like Immersive Armor and Winter Is Coming just offloading all their armor to the crafting menu. Now I'm not ragging on the mods themselves, but I do hope the authors go with an alternative in future iterations. *crosses fingers*

Alternative to clogging up the forge menus, would be to offer a recipe book ingame, and have the recipes show up only when you have the mats. I did something *similar* to this in my Fur Hoods mod. If I ever get back to updating it, that's exactly what I will do.

I loaded up on mods and started playing a lot recently, and I can't say enough just how bloody annoying it is to craft with mods like Immersive Armor and Winter Is Coming just offloading all their armor to the crafting menu. Now I'm not ragging on the mods themselves, but I do hope the authors go with an alternative in future iterations. *crosses fingers*

Wit that in mind im going to stick too crafting diagrams until we can easily create custom category's.

Slots 1 through 7 are used by Hearthfire, and slot 10 is used by Dawnguard. So only slots 8 and 9 should be used at present. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the next DLC eats up the remaining 2 slots.