• Please log in to reply
1750 replies to this topic

Spinner385

Spinner385

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
Not a lot of time today to work on the code but I've dug up some info for those of you interested in speeding up papyrus. Note this is risky stuff as it can cause constant CTD but it can also fix it. Another note is that replacing the defaults will fix any problems you create.

As s2firestar noted you can find the default values and the meaning behind each setting here.

I'll try to give you some notes and recommendations on the important settings. NOTE: I am not an expert on this. Every system is different, but you can always delete the settings if you have crashes. That will revert them to default (or just enter the default values below).

fUpdateBudgetMS=1.2 This is how much time is allowed to call functions by papyrus. It's basically the time to control the flow of all the papyrus scripts. It is capped by the game in times of need. So the game will always overtake this resource. People have ran this stable with up to a setting of 800.

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=1.2 This is the time to run the actual code for papyrus scripts. It works hand in hand with the above variable. It is capped by the game in times of need. So the game will always overtake this resource. People have ran this stable with up to a setting of 800.

iMinMemoryPageSize=128 Information in your ram is stored in "Pages". It has to point to all the different pages to find the information. Making this bigger will allow it to point less often, which is good. But too big will waste a lot of memory.

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512 Based on the same information above. To small and you get a lot of pages. Make sure its bigger than iMinMemoryPageSize and adjust both value in 128 multiples.

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=76800 This is stupidly low, that is equal to 75 Kb of ram allocated to Papyrus. If you fill this up some of it has to be freed before refilled. What ever you set this to will take memory from the game and put it to papyrus. Most people i'd imagine could sacrifice 100MB or so of ram for papyrus, which is a setting of 104857600. Make sure you leave enough memory for Skyrim to run. People run this stable over 1.6 GB it really depends on how much ram you have. Also if this is very large you can make pages larger as well, because you will have memory to waste for the speed gain of larger page. Adjust this in multiples of 128. Here's a conversion tool to see what byte equivalents are. Link

I my self adjust in doubles and halves to find sweet spots, except I would jump up iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes a good bit. Something like:

[Papyrus]
fUpdateBudgetMS=2.4
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=2.4
iMinMemoryPageSize=256
iMaxMemoryPageSize=1024
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=52428800

So thats 50 MB of ram reserved, with half as many pages and twice the time allotted for papyrus to run. I run these setting as I don't have a lot of CPU and Ram to spare after running Skyrim. This increase would likely eliminate any major problems you have with papyrus, while not demanding much beyond the vanilla.

Edited by Spinner385, 28 January 2013 - 01:14 AM.

Spinner385

Spinner385

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
@praetorian815 - The code would only allow this to happen if the key is pressed twice. The second time immediately following the first equip. Papyrus could be causing it to send the keypresses erratically, but under normal function this shouldn't be the case.

@Yaminohaka - Github is a good place to post text. It's free you just have to sign up. Just copy and paste it then send me the link. =]
When you say you can't equip anything do you mean equipping without the mod like from your inventory?
Faux just means false, like just set any key just to see if it'll kick it in the butt to start running.

@dantharp - If you set the autocast heal to another key it doesn't crash? Thats very strange. If you'd like you can setup your logging and send me the text via a Github link. Here's the link to setup logging.
Activate Logging
Be sure to send me the log after it crashes.

@jhondidfool - The MCM issue doesn't sound good. Some reason it isn't loading correctly for you. Be sure you have the latest version of SKSE and SkyUI. Also make sure to follow both installation processes carefully. SkyUI may need you to delete somefiles first. I once had some weird thing happen in the MCM after messing with some files. Once I knew it was setup correctly I saved and reloaded and it fixed the problem. The correct spells not being activated is strange. It must somehow be mixing up the assigned formids. I have heard that moving mods in the load order, that give you spells, can change their form id's. This could be a posibility but it would be consistently reproducable if that was the case.

@Tristamid - Excellent recommendation I'll try to put that in my power key setup. Basically a key that can override to autocast or equip and which hand to do so. This has been mentioned before so I think it would be a good idea to go forward with.
Oh and the BETA doesn't need a clean save, no property changes only script changes and additive things.
Edit: Forgot to comment on the first suggestion. I'll have to think about that one. That would be a major implementation and require a bunch of changes.

@s2firestar - Thnx a bunch =]

Edited by Spinner385, 15 January 2013 - 02:41 AM.

macrads

macrads

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
@spinner385 First of all this is a much needed mod, congrats, endorsed. I was trying your mod v2.3.16 with option 3.0 for controllers/mouse and found two bugs which maybe you are not aware of and could be of interest to you for beta mod. 1) when holding a weapon with right hand and a spell (fire flame in this case) with left hand, pressing configured key (basic, left hand) with the same spell, it will activate spell to the right hand removing weapon, instead of leaving everything as it is. Activating a different spell from the already active one will work correctly. 2) In MCM changing setting to the left hand key won't work, while for insert/delete everything works correctly. I also tripled checked that last skse version was properly installed and started new game when I tried this out.

Edited by macrads, 15 January 2013 - 07:59 PM.

s2firestar

s2firestar

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
@mac

I will try to give an answer until Spinner gets here, if you don't mind.

I think your first finding is not really a bug. Pressing the same hotkey twice will not leave things as it was, but revert to the previuos configuration (b4 the spell was equipped in the first place). Well, for most of the time. Other times, it will do more random things, but that is quite rare. This is much like the vanilla hotkey behaviour.

The second might really be a problem, I did not experience that.

Tristamid

Tristamid

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Just wanted to report something. Not really a bug, probably a fix of a "bug" that neglects something I considered a "feature."

When I assign things to multikeys, using the first key over and over again --
Mouse 3
Mouse 3 + A
Mouse 3 + B
Mouse 3 + Z
A + Mouse 3
B + Mouse 3
Double Tap Mouse 3
Hold Mouse 3
etc.
I would get a warning prompt telling me that this might not be the best idea, but it would work anyway, and flawlessly (2.3.15). However, with the new Assign From Inventory feature implemented in 2.3.16, instead of a prompt the only option is to overwrite the old hotkey for the new one.

Mouse 4 + N
Mouse 4 + B (would you like to overwrite? [Yes] Now your Mouse 4 + N is gone.)

This isn't a terrible issue, as the old method still works, it just keeps the new, and improved if you don't mind me saying so, method from becoming truly viable.
===
Last suggestion of the night, then I'll leave you alone. :P Give the option to ignore keys when assigning things in the inventory. Its kinda like walking on eggshells when you HAVE to use NOTHING but the mouse to get around in there. Being able to have safe keys you can use to help you navigate would be nice. Not necessary, just nice.

Keep rocking Spinner. We're rooting for you.

Spinner385

Spinner385

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
@macrads - The process that spells equip is similar to vanilla. If you equip in the left hand then press it again it will put it in the right also. If you equip to right then press again it will put it in the left. Basically it will toggle between dual cast and the spell hand you choose. If you choose both hands it will toggle left hand and both. One other twist to this is that it remembers what you had equipped previously. So in your case: Press once - Flame left / Sword right Press twice - Flame left / Flame right Press third - Flame left / Sword right and so on Only thing to remember is weapons can't be equipped to the left hand with the mod. There is also a MCM setting to control what it does when you press a hotkey again (the third time for spells, it will always toggle to dual cast). It can re-equip previous (default) , unequip, or do nothing. Edit: It will also detect that you have the spell already equipped and proceed to place it in the other hand. Let me know if pressing it again doesn't re-equip your sword. For the second issue. I believe you are saying that when you set up a new spell to a hotkey, it can not be toggled to the left hand? Can it still be toggled to both and right or is the key just not responding? I'll double check that it is setting right but last I checked it was working. Just to make sure you know the spell hand is only for setting new hotkeys, not editing ones already set. I know there's not a lot of information about all the settings and functions, but I'm in the process of working on that. Let me know if this helps. And thanks for trying out the mod and endorsing. =] @s2firestar - Thanks again =] @Tristamid - Posted the same time as you =P I'll definitely look into that. That doesn't sound right. And I am putting in the ignoring keys thing. I'm working on making it automated if possible, but I'm not sure if I can detect the keys you use to control your menu so I may just need to make it set in MCM. EDIT: MultiKey issue confirmed I'll have it fixed today. Thnx for letting me know.

Edited by Spinner385, 16 January 2013 - 12:56 AM.

Tristamid

Tristamid

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Mmm, hive mind. Also, I forgot to mention but the multiple item assigning is really~ slow for me. Doesn't matter what type of key either (Basic, Multi, etc.) but whenever I try to put 2 or more things onto one hotkey it can take well over a minute (yes, 60 seconds) for everything to come together.

Edited by Tristamid, 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Spinner385

Spinner385

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
@Tristamid - Fixed the problem from earlier. I'll upload the fix tonight. Are you talking about in the favorites menu? That shouldn't even work. If your talking about the MCM menu turn off filters (click filter on till it says filters off), they can take a while when your in the armor section and you have decent amount of stuff. Technical reason is there are 32 slot to sift through for each armor piece to see if it's already taken up, spells and weapons only have two.

Edited by Spinner385, 15 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

Tristamid

Tristamid

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
No, I'm talking about using the "Set as a Multikey" hotkey that you can enable from the MCM menu. Basically, I press Numpad 2, which lets me setup a Multikey. I get the message in the upper left telling me to pick the first hotkey. I choose, np, same for 2nd hotkey. But, when I go to pick the item after choosing Multiple Items, there is a huge lag after I pick the first item. Not framerate wise, it just takes a minute for the 2nd prompt to come up, asking me to pick the 2nd item/spell. After doing so, another minute goes by before asking me if I want to add a 3rd item to the set. I pick no, and then everything goes back to normal speed-- the message comes up saying the hotkeys were assigned correctly and all is well.

Edited by Tristamid, 16 January 2013 - 12:09 AM.

Spinner385

Spinner385

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
Gotcha, Ill check it out. Found it, fixed it thnx =]. It will take thirty seconds between set's items as is (The same time it takes to timeout if nothing gets equipped).

Edited by Spinner385, 16 January 2013 - 12:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.954 seconds