Castle Volkihar door won't open

JeremeW5257

I can't seem to get into the castle upon bringing Serana home for the first time...here's what is happening.

I land on the island with Serana. She gives me her "speech" about shutting my trap and let her do the talking. We walk up the hill to the castle door. The old dude opens the gate, but never acknowledges that Serana is standing there. He doesn't give his speech either..."Blah Blah Blah...Serana has returned". She looks at me, he looks at me, but they never interact with each other. Another vampire is stuck on the outside of the castle door...trying to enter, but can't. He does the door opening animation, but stays on the outside of the castle. I can talk to him but he just says..."Don't talk to me meat"...or something like that.

I can click on the door but it never opens. I've never experienced a bug like this one. I try selecting the door and typing enable, but that doesn't work either.

I've found a "work around" for this problem...for those who might also be experiencing it. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but basically I just used the console command to proceed to the next quest after entering the castle. I looked online for the quest order and console command number. It's important that you chose the right one, because apparently the next quest is whether or not you chose to play as a vampire. So you'll need to enter the correct one. After I did the console command, I appeared in the castle...halfway though a conversation with the head vampire. I turned down his offer and he banished me. It removed the quest marker to TAKE SERANA HOME, and gave me a new one. I haven't played through the entire questline yet, so I don't know if it will have any issues long term. So far it seems to be working correctly.

After this point, I can't use her as a follower unless I dismiss all other followers. Before then, I couldn't get rid of her if I wanted to. I don't know if this is a bug in my game or not...I use UFO.

• 1 month later...

I've found a "work around" for this problem...for those who might also be experiencing it. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but basically I just used the console command to proceed to the next quest after entering the castle. I looked online for the quest order and console command number. It's important that you chose the right one, because apparently the next quest is whether or not you chose to play as a vampire. So you'll need to enter the correct one. After I did the console command, I appeared in the castle...halfway though a conversation with the head vampire. I turned down his offer and he banished me. It removed the quest marker to TAKE SERANA HOME, and gave me a new one. I haven't played through the entire questline yet, so I don't know if it will have any issues long term. So far it seems to be working correctly.

After this point, I can't use her as a follower unless I dismiss all other followers. Before then, I couldn't get rid of her if I wanted to. I don't know if this is a bug in my game or not...I use UFO.

I did the same as you used the console command to advance beyond the door. I chose not to side with the vampires, however, and Serana was left outside the door and started following me once I was teleported outside. Even using UFO I can't get her to leave. What a mess....

• 4 weeks later...

If you have this problem, the following worked perfectly for me:

1. While at the gate guard, type "getstage dlc1vq02" to verify that you are in stage "6.0"

2. Then, type "setstage dlc1vq02 8" and close the console.

3. Serana should head toward the door and try to open it (and fail)

4. Open the console and select Serana. Make sure you select her and not some of the background!

5. Type "coc dlc1vampirecastleguildhall" to teleport into the castle.

6. With Serana still selected (teleporting doesn't deselect her), type "moveto player" to move her into the castle.

7. Serana should immediately start moving through the room. If she does, check "getstage dlc1vq02" - the stage should now be "10.0" if everything worked right.

She wasn't stuck afterward, the quest continued, and I was properly banished when I refused her father's offer.

I did the same as you used the console command to advance beyond the door. I chose not to side with the vampires, however, and Serana was left outside the door and started following me once I was teleported outside. Even using UFO I can't get her to leave. What a mess....

OK I give up. I tried your method with console, won't let me teleport in. Maybe I ain't typing it right, etc.. But honestly I shouldn't have to do this. I did this game with no mods on, still wont work.

I think I am done with with skyrim for now.

OK I give up. I tried your method with console, won't let me teleport in. Maybe I ain't typing it right, etc.. But honestly I shouldn't have to do this. I did this game with no mods on, still wont work.

Weird - you're using this line:

coc DLC1VampireCastleGuildhall

?

That should take you inside...

?

I re-tried everything, got it to work, but shows door still locked(from inside), so is this going be a future problem?

Edited by JJDrakken

?

I re-tried everything, got it to work, but shows door still locked(from inside), so is this going be a future problem?

I didn't do the Vampire side of that plot, so I don't know how (or if) it affects that. If you need to, you can click on the door and type "unlock" in the console to unlock it, but I don't know if that's a good or bad plan.