30 members have voted

1. 1. Are mediums in general legit?

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is that many mediums believe in what they are doing and they are not really trying to deceive anybody so trying to trick them has no real purpose to it. I do have spiritual beliefs but allowing something to 'possess' one, as many mediums do, is something I am far from comfortable with. As for whether mediums are real or not, that is a question for me that is less important than if what mediums do is 'healthy' or not. Have to be careful here because this topic could too easily slip into the 'religious' area.

Certain members in my family have had quite an extensive and more than a mere involvement with occultic practices in the past ... my older brother for instance would during his

dabbling go into a trance and claim to speak to the spirits of our dead Chinese neighbours across the road ... I doubt that very much.

I don't care which nation they come from lol, the "departed" are exactly that ... departed.

However, there are far too many cases where people have been correct in predicting events etc to dismiss everything which we cannot fully explain.

I'd love to agree that "everything" that has the mark of the supernatural is a load of horse manure but unfortunately I cannot.

As for this Long Island Medium, it sure must be great to make some nice money off of her TV show and from her gullible fellow New Agers who'd believe she was the snow fairy or

Cleopatra in a previous life is she claimed so.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just another way of making money, but I also wouldn't assume that it is fake. Just because there's lack of evidence doesn't mean it's not real. Some people have claimed they've seen ghosts, my own mother included, however, just because I haven't seen one doesn't mean she didn't. Yes, she could have been hallucinating, dreaming, etc. Equally, she could have actually seen one, but no one except her will ever know.

It's pretty much the same thing with these Mediums. Unless you actually know what's going on inside their heads, it's pointless to say they're fake, unless of course it's painfully obvious.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just another way of making money, but I also wouldn't assume that it is fake. Just because there's lack of evidence doesn't mean it's not real. Some people have claimed they've seen ghosts, my own mother included, however, just because I haven't seen one doesn't mean she didn't. Yes, she could have been hallucinating, dreaming, etc. Equally, she could have actually seen one, but no one except her will ever know.

It's pretty much the same thing with these Mediums. Unless you actually know what's going on inside their heads, it's pointless to say they're fake, unless of course it's painfully obvious.

I would bet that folks associated with the show have a really good idea of whether it is fake or not.....

However, there are far too many cases where people have been correct in predicting events etc to dismiss everything which we cannot fully explain.

I'd love to agree that "everything" that has the mark of the supernatural is a load of horse manure but unfortunately I cannot.

Why not? Dismissing extraordinary claims of the supernatural without extraordinary proof to back it up would be the default position. In fact you could name anything to have happened, something you don't understand, and better explain it within natural means than any 'a wizard did it' explanation. I mean surely there are more ordinary explanations for these things, other than magic.

You're kinda comparing apples to oranges here...

Although both areas are questioned by skeptics, apparitions or poltergeist activity is part of those things which are documented, but not yet explained, while psychic powers of being able to obtain meaningful information from the dead is entirely debunked. Unless your mother sat down and had a lengthy conversation with that ghost while being awake, mentally aware, and not on any drugs, it is nothing similar.

During an episode (Bodmin Prison) of Most Haunted, the resident medium at the time Derek Acorah, claimed to be possessed by a jailer called Kreed Kafer. It was revealed later, that a member of the crew, had in fact invented the name earlier in the day, and spread the 'information' to other memebers of the crew, and in fact the name Kreed Kafer was an anagram of Derek Faker. Needless to say, Derek Acorah was exposed as a fake, and left the show promptly.

I don't believe there is a geniue medium on TV, thats' not to say I don't believe in spirits, but I think the mediums on TV prey on peoples' weaknesses and might a good living out of doing that.