Creating a custom follower with a custom race

VictorAlkaiser

Yes, you should start a new thread. If there's an active discussion going on feel free to join in, but bumping a thread from months ago that's already got ten posts that are no longer relevant to your issue might get your specific problem overlooked.

I do have a couple of suggestions though. First, don't use TESnip anymore, it doesn't make plugins correctly and can create plugins that potentially cause save game corruption for anyone who uses your mod. Second, try copying the race over to your file in TES5Edit. It will most likely add the plugin you're copying from a master for the plugin you're copying to (but it leaves the original as a plugin). You can remove this master dependency in the CK afterwards if you like. Once you're done working with it in the CK you can remove "Identical to Master Records" through TES5Edit (you will need to leave the race plugin as a master to your file for this to work and it may need to be a master henceforth anyways, depending on your plugin).

Edited by MShoap13

Im trying to create a lunari race npc as well. Are there certain steps you have to take to make it? I converted the esp into esm using wyrebash and it is a master file. Then, I loaded skyrim.esm and lunari.esm but the lunari race still doesn't show in the race menu when creating a new npc.

• 7 months later...

If anyone still looks at this thread..

My issue.

Trying to create a character of 'myself' in game to pass along to a friend of mine. (as untill TESO comes out, its the only way to 'play together' =) ). Well, the race i am trying to use is the Ningheim race.

I got the esp converted over to a esm with the TESVSnip tool, but any time i try to open up the esm with Creation Kit, it tells me there are multiple master's being opened at once? For some reason it auto-checks dawnguard, update, and two other esm files along with the converted Ningheim esm file.

This cause the 'file open to fail'.

Any ideas?

Read this

The specific linked subsection explains the "safe" way of converting a plugin to be used as a master. The problem with converting to an ESM is that the plugin for users will still be an ESP. The extensions are different. The method outlined is a temporary toggle which keeps the extension as ESP while fooling the Creation Kit into thinking that it is an ESM. It also explains how to allow for multiple master loads as well as multiple instances of the Creation Kit. Tho there is one thing lacking (I should add it in): You need to include your DLC BSA files in the archive list under the [ARCHIVE] section within the SkyrimEditor.ini. Alternatively, you can make a SkyrimEditorCustom.ini which will retain your adjustments whenever you verify the Creation Kit.

The contents of my SkyrimEditorCustom.ini follows, use it & abuse it as you see fit.

[General]
bMaximize Editor=1
bAllowMultipleEditors=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

[Audio]

[Imagespace]

[DistantLOD]

[BackgroundLoad]

[HAVOK]

[HeightMapEditor]

[TerrainManager]

[Pathfinding]

[NavMeshGeneration]

[SpeedTree]

[Trees]

[Debug]

[LOD]

[Weather]

[Landscape]

[Grass]

[MAIN]

[bLightAttenuation]

[Localization]

[Voice]

[Water]

[Display]

[Interface]

[BlurShaderHDRInterior]

[BlurShaderHDR]

[BlurShader]

[GethitShader]

[Decals]

[AnimationWarning]

[TestAllCells]

[GeneralWarnings]

[OPENMP]

[PreviewMovement]

[MESSAGES]

[Movement]

[Archive]
SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa

[Sound]

[SpellCheck]

[BudgetCaps]

[Papyrus]

[Flowchart]

Note: I don't have Dragonborn so if you have that you'd need to add it to the end of the archive list.

The entire tutorial page is a little old now and I have learned a few other things since, but if you need some additional info with regards to making a preset and/or NPC it might help. The goal was to walk thru making a mannequin that looked like the player's character as well as a preset to save on time later..

• 4 years later...

Read this

The specific linked subsection explains the "safe" way of converting a plugin to be used as a master. The problem with converting to an ESM is that the plugin for users will still be an ESP. The extensions are different. The method outlined is a temporary toggle which keeps the extension as ESP while fooling the Creation Kit into thinking that it is an ESM. It also explains how to allow for multiple master loads as well as multiple instances of the Creation Kit. Tho there is one thing lacking (I should add it in): You need to include your DLC BSA files in the archive list under the [ARCHIVE] section within the SkyrimEditor.ini. Alternatively, you can make a SkyrimEditorCustom.ini which will retain your adjustments whenever you verify the Creation Kit.

The contents of my SkyrimEditorCustom.ini follows, use it & abuse it as you see fit.

[General]
bMaximize Editor=1
bAllowMultipleEditors=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

[Audio]

[Imagespace]

[DistantLOD]

[BackgroundLoad]

[HAVOK]

[HeightMapEditor]

[TerrainManager]

[Pathfinding]

[NavMeshGeneration]

[SpeedTree]

[Trees]

[Debug]

[LOD]

[Weather]

[Landscape]

[Grass]

[MAIN]

[bLightAttenuation]

[Localization]

[Voice]

[Water]

[Display]

[Interface]

[BlurShaderHDRInterior]

[BlurShaderHDR]

[BlurShader]

[GethitShader]

[Decals]

[AnimationWarning]

[TestAllCells]

[GeneralWarnings]

[OPENMP]

[PreviewMovement]

[MESSAGES]

[Movement]

[Archive]
SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa

[Sound]

[SpellCheck]

[BudgetCaps]

[Papyrus]

[Flowchart]

Note: I don't have Dragonborn so if you have that you'd need to add it to the end of the archive list.

The entire tutorial page is a little old now and I have learned a few other things since, but if you need some additional info with regards to making a preset and/or NPC it might help. The goal was to walk thru making a mannequin that looked like the player's character as well as a preset to save on time later..

I know this is and old thread but I'm on the same journey to make a custom follower based on a mod race.

The link above is dead and I've been asking everywhere but I don't get support on this. If someone has a link or something that could help me I'll appreciate it.

Edited by Ezarr