[REL] -SMART Healer- AI Configurable Companion FAQ

Mujuro

http://s19.postimage.org/i5sy3b67n/Cerwiden_Logo_Small.png

Frequently Asked Questions

Because of Nexus space constraints on the main mod description page (I just realized with v1.6 that I reached the limit), I'm moving the FAQ for Cerwiden -SMART Healer- AI Configurable Companion from the main description page to here, broken out by sections below. Links to this FAQ will be provided from Ceri's main description page.

Please feel free to post any FAQ updates you'd like added/amended, and thanks to everyone for your feedback and support for Ceri! :)

FAQ Topics

Quest and Dialogue/Banter Information

General Information

Cerwiden's Wardrobe and Hairstyles

Use with Follower Management Mods (UFO, EFF, AFT, etc.)

Installation and Troubleshooting

Cerwiden Debug Modes

Quest and Dialogue/Banter Information

Q: I've been traveling with Ceri for a while now and she's still saying she's not ready to talk to me when I ask about her?

A: You need to earn Ceri's friendship, and it works a bit differently than the vanilla "friend" quests where you become a friend by doing some singular deed (deliver X to Y, bring me Z, etc.). There are a few different things that go into earning Ceri's friendship, and cannot be earned "immediately". See the Spoiler Guide included in the Docs folder if you'd like specific information.

Q: How do I know if I've earned Ceri's friendship?

A: She'll let you know by speaking with you and giving you a small token of her gratitude (an item from her home). You should also notice that she'll have additional/different dialogue choices when you speak with her. Note that you may want to "revisit" some prior topics where she may have been reluctant, previously, to elaborate.

Q: How do I toggle/change the odds of the random assassins?

A: You may speak with Ceri to configure the probability of random assassins or toggle them completely via "Ceri, I'd like to speak with you" -> "Cerwiden Debug Options" -> "Change WCE Assassination Odds". Note that the assassin attacks cease automatically once you complete "The Sad Giant's Shield" quest segment from Ceri v1.7. Also, you'll need successfully repel at least one assassin attack, and grab the note off the assassin leader, to progress in Ceri's questline. For more details, please see the Spoiler Guide document in the Optional Downloads area.

Q: I've been asking Ceri about the assassins and other quest topics, but she cuts the conversation short?

A: This issue is resolved in v1.7+; I inadvertently set some conditions improperly. If you're using v1.6.x, you can either use the optional batch file in the Miscellaneous Files section to boost your relationship scores to the point where Ceri will speak with you again (follow the instructions in the batch file download). This issue doesn't affect users of v1.5 or earlier.

Q: What is "situation aware" random banter?

A: Ceri's random banter dialogue consists of two different sets. The first set, general banter, may occur anywhere and everywhere. The second set depends on permutations and combinations of situational/environmental factors. Stated differently, and in addition to add "general banter" lines, Ceri may also make reference to her current situation. By way of reference examples: If Ceri's in an inn, she may certain comments. If she's in an inn at night, she may make yet other comments. If she's in an inn at night and a bard is singing a song, yet other comments. Her available general + situational comments "stack" and she'll randomly choose one to make. Some comments are more common, others rare. For example, Ceri won't comment about her birthday until the month Last Seed (August :P). Similarly, she won't speak with Jordis if she's not in your party. :P

Q: How do I change the frequency of Ceri's random banter?

A: With v1.6.3, debug mode should be available directly by speaking with Ceri after she's joined you: "Ceri, I'd like to speak with you" -> "Cerwiden Debug Mode" ->. Through this dialogue, you may set probability of her making a random comment, the minimum interval between comments, and whether she should watch for you being in "dialogue" with another NPC. If you don't see this available, type "set kcfDebugMode to 1" without the quotes in the console and hit enter, then speak with Ceri again.

1. Probability of Random Comments. This controls the 'random' factor. v1.6.3 automatically sets 'occasional' to 6 and 'rare' to 1. The default setting, which 'guarantees' that she'll make a comment (see below), will remain unchanged.
  2. Minimum Time Interval Between Comments. Ceri's dialogue options will include interval settings by 'game' time: No interval (setting is off), 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours; I've set the default as minimum 1 'game' hour between random comments. And, as always, you can tweak further via the console. Note that I say 'minimum' because, depending on what else is going on in your game, timing isn't exact in Skyrim. So it could very well be noticeably more than 1 game hour, even if you set it as such; it will never be less. It all depends on how many actions you've got queued for execution in YOUR game, whether those queued actions have to do with the vanilla game, other mods you run, and/or this mod. The more stuff you've got going on, the weaker your rig, etc., you may get a longer delay than your setting. Under no circumstances will a random comment be made prior to the minimum, of course, once the very first random comment is made. Please also keep in mind that the default, vanilla Skyrim timescale is 1:20 (1 minute "real" time = 20 minutes "game" time).
  3. NPC Speech Detection. The default setting for this will be ON, such that if Ceri detects (i) someone speaking in roughly a 20' area around you, AND (ii) that you're in dialogue with that someone, she'll 'reset' her minimum comment interval as described above. A few important things to keep in mind about this feature. First, if Ceri already has a comment queued right as you enter dialogue, she'll still speak the comment. Nothing I can do about this. Second, the relative efficacy of this script will depend on how many complex mods you run, the horsepower of your rig, the number of NPCs speaking in the area, etc. What do I mean by this? The check will always WORK. However, it may be delayed in working depending on how many other things you've got going on in your game, the horsepower in your rig, etc. So if you're running a low-end rig and have a ton of mods that add NPCs and you're sitting in Riften's town square with a ton of NPCs talking, well, it's going to take some processing for that as you might imagine, and the code may not kick in until after the NPC has already spoken. This is not a problem with the code, it's a factor of what Skyrim's default engine can handle in conjunction with your rig and mod set. If you wonder why NPCs will continue to talk in the area while you're in dialogue, now you know ... Bethesda didn't even implement this code on vanilla NPCs, and it's probably for performance reasons (that and they don't really talk that often :P). And if you're wondering why I'm taking what appears to be a bass-akwards approach in coding for this ... well, not sure if you've all noticed, but I can't do a 'talk' check against the player, because, technically, the player doesn't talk. So instead, I have to check against every other NPC around the player to see if that NPC is talking. If any of you have better ideas, I'm all ears. :P

So how does all of this stuff translate to your experience in-game? Walking through some illustrative examples may help:

1. Let's say you stick with the 'new' default settings, such that frequency = 100, interval = 1 game hour, NPC speech detection ON ... This essentially makes it so that Ceri would make one, and only one random comment in the course of any given game-hour, so long as during that time, she's not detected you being in dialogue with another NPC.
  2. Next, let's say you don't like the new default settings and change them: Randomness as 'rare' = 1, interval = 4 game hours, NPC speech detection OFF. In this scenario, Ceri has a 1% chance of making one comment every 4 hours of game time. However, because the NPC speech detection is off, if the 4 hour 'clock' happens to coincide with when another NPC is in dialogue with you, and Ceri just happens to hit that 1%, she will still make the comment.

Q: What does it mean for a follower to be introduced to Ceri as a "friend"?

A: Two things: First, it should reduce if not outright eliminate friendly fire incidents where the follower and Ceri get into fights (if they do fight, they should stop almost immediately, and automatically without your intervenion, e.g., should not need to use UFO's "Stop Fighting"). This extends to other "friended followers" as well (e.g., if followers A and B are both friended to Ceri, A and B should also not get into fights). Second, and this is still very much work-in-progress, this recognition is one of the building blocks for cross-follower interaction, whether during combat (e.g., the concept of a "smart" party) or generally while traveling (e.g., Ceri's random banter to another follower).

Q: How many followers may I introduce to Ceri?

A: I've limited it at present to 10. I have no intention at present to increase this number. You may remove a follower from the friend list by speaking with that follower. You may also check who's on the friend list by speaking with Ceri in debug mode and asking her to show you her friend list. Please note that to have multiple followers, you generally need to be using a follower framework mod (e.g., AFT, BDO, EFF, UFO).

Q: I'm stuck at some point in Cerwiden's questline. What can I do?

A: Please see the Spoiler Guide document for a complete walkthrough plus tips and specific known issues/limitations. For v1.6, the Spoiler Guide is included in the main download. For v1.7+, the Spoiler guide will be a separate download available under the Optional Files section.

Q: Why are Elric and Rackhir not in the vanilla follower system?

A: This was intentional on my part, as they may be quest NPCs in future installments. That said, both Elric and Rackhir have some similar options available via dialogue as if they were vanilla followers, including the favor command (I need you to do something), which you can have them activate objects or wait at a specified location. They also may be dismissed to Nightgate Inn, asked to meet you at Ceri's plot destinations and directed on what combat mode to use. If you've recruited them, Ceri's Battle Command will also show an "Allies" option for combat mode configuration while in combat. They will NOT, however, give access to their inventory, and this is also intentional.

On a tangential but related note, some other things to know about Rackhir and Elric:

1. Once you read the appropriate "Friends of Law" book, you'll receive a spell that will summon them should you be separated. Note that this spell only works if you've recruited them and they are following actively. So if you've asked them to meet you at Ceri's next plot/quest destination, the spell won't work, and you'll simply need to meet up with them.
  2. If you've lost Elric and Rackhir and don't use the spell to call them, they will nonetheless automatically show up once you reach the outside area of the quest/plot destination.
  3. For more details on either of them, please (i) see the Spoiler Guide in the Optional Files download area; (ii) speak directly with them to get background information; and/or (iii) read the "Friends of Law" background lore books.

Q: What does the "Taunt" ability do?

A: This is an ability introduced in Ceri v1.7. The "taunt" ability is available to Elric when he's in his "tank" combat mode (default setting). In this mode, Elric will occasionally attempt to "taunt" nearby enemies (you'll see a red aura emanate out from him when he does this) into attacking him instead of you and your other allies. As you might imagine, this ability could be unbalancing potentially, so there are a number of restrictions on its used, both placed by me as well as via vanilla limitations in Skyrim's core combat AI, and most of these should be "obvious"/"common sense":

• Enemies must be within range. The farther away an enemy, the less likely they will be affected by the "taunt" attempt.
  • Elric will use this ability no more than once every thirty seconds (real time).
  • While in tank mode, Elric will attack rather infrequently, so you'll lose most of the benefits of him wielding Stormbringer.
  • Enemies must have LOS to Elric.
  • Enemies that have an attack queued or have an attacked queued against them will have a significant chance of ignoring the taunt. Related to this, an attack that does damage-over-time counts as a queued attack.

Q: What does "Call Target Focus" do?

A: This ability is granted to the player upon reading the "Friends of Law" tomes given to you by Ceri during her v1.7 quest installment, and may be used only in combat and against hostile opponents. When used properly, a notification message will be displayed at the top-left of your screen indicating your chosen target. "Call Target Focus" will attempt to have Elric, Rackhir, Ceri and any other followers you've FRIENDED to Ceri focus their efforts on the specified target. If they are not already attacking the target, they will attempt to change targets, subject to similar rules as set forth above for "taunt". By way of reference example, the farther away an ally is from your called target, the greater the chance of the ally ignoring your command. Similarly, if the ally can't see the target, the command will be ignored. Finally, if an ally is cornered and getting beat up by a bunch of enemies and can't extricate from the situation (keep in mind NPC generic pathfinding issues), the ally will ignore the command.

Q: I just need a healer, I really don't want to get involved in Ceri's problems.

A: You have a few options:

1. Download and use Ceri v1.5, which is the last stable version prior to my implementing the first part of her questline. This version does not use Ceri's v1.6+ custom voice, so you'll get a mix of FemaleYoungEager and the custom dialogue voiced by ThePoeticOne.
  2. If you like Ceri's random banter, custom voice and other features from v1.6+, simply turn off the random assassins via Ceri's debug dialogue. If you don't run into assassins, don't pick up the assassin note, she won't bother you at all about her problems. :)
  3. Use another healer mod. :P

General Information

Q: Where can I find Cerwiden?

A: She's waiting for you at Riverwood's Sleeping Giant Inn. If you don't see her there, and you're certain you've installed properly, there's a chance she snuck into Delphine's basement. If you don't yet have access to the basement room, go into the console, type "PRID xx001d14" where xx represents the load order, hit enter, followed by "moveto player" and enter, all without quotes. That should bring Ceri to you. DO NOT use "placeatme" with her FormID or you WILL run into problems.

Q: I see different versions in the Main Files area. What's the difference between "Essential" and "Protected" versions?

A: The "essential" version means that Ceri cannot die. If she takes damage that would otherwise kill her, she'll instead drop to a knee and take some time to recover, usually around a minute "real time". During this period, she won't fight or cast any spells. In the "protected" version, Ceri can be killed if she takes enough damage but has an extra "health reserve" that kicks in if she's near death. When this occurs, she'll go down on a knee and try to recover, just like in the essential version. However, if she continues to take damage while recovering, or takes single-hit damage greater than her protection reserve (e.g., from a dragon), she'll die. Also, the health reserve will NOT kick in if her attacker is the player. For more information on "protected follower" status, please see this UESP Wiki entry.

Please also note that most of the companion framework mods (like UFO and EFF, by way of reference examples) allow you to set whether a companion is essential or protected.

Q: What is Ceri's specialty that makes her different from other mage followers?

A: As a priestess, Ceri's primary speciality is restoration magic and, in particular healing, curing and defensive buffs. While vanilla mage followers may have healing spells, you've probably noticed that they'll only heal THEMSELVES and not you, or your other companions. Ceri, by contrast, will dutifully support you with heals, cures and buffs. And as Ceri gains levels, her heals and buffs become stronger.

Q: I prefer having a challenge in Skyrim; is Ceri balanced? What are her starting stats and spells?

A: Balance and challenge, as you might imagine, are subjective and personal. The way I've designed Ceri is that you're able to CUSTOMIZE Ceri to suit your desired playstyle, including elements of balance and challenge. Whether you want Ceri to be your all-around-DPS-follower or just a healer-priestess, it's all up to you. Ceri's configuration even extends to WHEN you want her to heal.

I'd like to say that Ceri is one of the most "balanced" mod followers in terms of her stats. While she starts at level 6, she starts with only 50 bonus in health and magicka, 0 in stamina. I've seen other follower mods that have 400 bonus health and 4000 bonus magicka. As a point of reference, the PLAYER starts with 50 bonus in each category, and vanilla housecarls start with 50 bonus health.

Regarding Ceri's starting spells, she has leveled healing and buffs. What else she'll use, well, that's up to you and what you tell her through through her dialogue configuration menu, and her level (e.g., she won't cast paralyze at level 6). :)

Q: I've asked Cerwiden to heal me at X% health, but she's not healing until I drop below that?

A: Ceri will always attempt to heal at the targets you set. Whether she's actually able to do so will depend on any number of factors that include whether you're in her heal range, her magicka level, the DPS being inflicted on you/her/another party member, her current health, her level and associated available healing spells, how many party members she needs to track and heal, the infamous Z-axis/cover issues in Skyrim generally, etc. As you might imagine, Ceri has to track and consider a lot of different things. She'll do her best, but if you're being pummeled by 4 steroid-enhanced uber-dragons from Deadly Dragons mod, there's only so much she can do. Remember also that you can ask Ceri to try and heal at a higher damage threshold.

Q: I've asked Cerwiden to cast certain offense spells or spell types, but she's not casting them?

A: Most likely she's not at the required level to cast the spell. For example, "paralyze" is a high-level spell; she won't be able to cast it until she's leveled a fair bit.

Q: If I bring Ceri into a dungeon or any other place that has a lot of traps, will she trigger them?

A: As a general rule, no. She has "light feet." :)

Q: Cerwiden is killing everything in sight before I can even draw my weapon?

A: Balancing is always a challenge, particularly when we all have different mods and playstyles. That said, you can configure what she can do in terms of spells (e.g., no casting any destruction spells) and also healing. With v1.3+, you'll have a degree of control over when she attacks enemies, including to avoid attacking unless she herself is attacked.

Q: Can I use Cerwiden along with Myshella from Stormbringer Chronicles?

A: As of v1.6, I strongly recommend that you do NOT use Stormbringer Chronicles along with Cerwiden. This is because Ceri and Myshella share some of the same base code, but Ceri has progressed leaps and bounds beyond Myshella (who was actually my first "smart" follower. With the introduction of yet new AI elements in v1.6, there are some conflicts that I simply CANNOT avoid without taking the time to upgrade Myshella's AI, which I've simply not had time to do. In any case, I'll likely be folding some of the quest content I'd originally planned for Stormbringer Chronicles into this mod.

Q: Will you be releasing your source scripts for Cerwiden?

A: Yes, once I get the mod to the degree of modularity, consistency and quality I'd like (and am not completely embarrassed at how messy they are), I'll be releasing the source scripts.

Q: What tools did you use for this mod?

A: Through Cerwiden v1.7, here's what I've used to either create and/or manage Ceri:

1. Bethesda's Skyrim CK, starting with v1.5.26, with SKSE
  2. nifskope 1.1.0-RC6
  3. GIMP 2.8.0
  4. Notepad++ 5.8.7
  5. UltraEdit 12.10a
  6. TES5Edit 3.0.2.2 Experimental (for cleaning, starting with Ceri v1.7)

Cerwiden's Wardrobe and Hairstyles

Important note for AFT users: Versions of AFT since Ceri's v1.7 release are interfering with Ceri's wardrobe functions. This is because AFT forces Ceri out of her normal aliases and into AFT-specific packages, and there are conflicting commands being issued. I've contacted Dheuster about this already.

Q: How often does Cerwiden change outfits/hairstyles?

A: She'll only change when she's not an active follower (e.g., she's either in UFO's "relax" mode or has been dismissed), in an interior cell and not sleeping. From 10pm to 8am, she'll be wearing her "night" outfit; during the day, I've set the default to trigger outfits for 4 hours of game-time. Note that this trigger simply means that Ceri will *consider* changing outfits. She might decide that she likes her current outfit, and will continue wearing it for a while longer. :smile: If you'd like her to change outfits more/less frequently, you can do so through the console by typing "set kcfFashionistaTimer to X" without the quotes, where "X" represents game-hours.

Ceri comes with 16 different daytime outfits and 2 nighttime outfits, including Hentai's Vidalia dress. If you're comfortable using the CK, you can change the outfits to ones you prefer, including those from any custom armor/clothing mod (if there's enough interest, I can either make a compatibility patch and/or do a tutorial).

Q: How will Cerwiden's outfit changes affect gear I give her?

A: When she's an active follower, it won't. She'll use whatever you give to her just like any other follower. If she's not wearing her "best" gear, just take a piece from her inventory and give it back to her and she'll re-equip. Or you can use whatever follower management mod you prefer to do the same (e.g., UFO's "You could dress better" option). For those of you who've been having issues with Cerwiden not wearing what you give her, and who aren't using UFO, etc., please verify that you have the appropriate body meshes installed for whatever you want her to wear. Ceri doesn't come with body meshes, meaning that she'll INHERIT automatically from whatever meshes you have installed for her race. This is INTENTIONAL on my part. So if you don't have CBBE installed (properly), and want her to wear some CBBE armor, I can't guarantee she'll do it.

If you're still having issues after the above, speak with Ceri in debug mode (automatic in v1.6.3+, for earlier versions, console "set kcfDebugMode to 1"; her custom dialogue will include an additional debug section, which includes the option to RESET COMPLETELY her current outfit. Now given that this is a complete reset, if she won't equip what you give her, it's not Ceri, but something with your particular mods/configuration.

Q: I don't want Cerwiden changing outfits/hairstyles, can I disable this?

A: Yes, tell her via configuration dialogue that you want to pick her outfits.

Q: What do the "This outfit is special" and "This outfit is for adventuring" options mean?

A: With v1.6+, you may ask Ceri to remember up to two outfits you give to her, and once they're remembered, you may ask her via dialogue to wear them. In addition, and only for the "adventuring" outfit if Ceri is set to manage her own wardrobe, she'll automatically equip that set after coming back from "relax" mode when asked to follow you again.

Use with Follower Management Mods (UFO, EFF, AFT, etc.)

Q: Is Cerwiden compatible with UFO, Wearable Lanterns, BDO, EFF, AFT, Convenient Horses, Wearable Lanterns and other follower-oriented mods?

A: Cerwiden is part of the vanilla follower system and should be compatible with companion framework, body and gear mods generally. We test against the major follower frameworks and improvements prior to each of Ceri's releases, and Ceri should work with them because she is in the vanilla follower system. Please note that if you're using mods that also alter follower outfits (e.g., EFF, AFT), you may want to toggle Cerwiden's auto-outfit (see below) so she won't get confused on what to wear. :smile: Additionally, mods that alter/change companion spells and perks may cause Ceri to act in unintended ways (for example, you toggle her combat spells through dialog and then have her learn "fireball" ... :P).

Framework Compatibility: UFO, EFF, AFT (see below for caveats relating to more recent AFT versions), Simple Multiple Followers, BDO (no longer available on Nexus)

Follower Improvement/Enhancement Mods: Convenient Horses, Wearable Lanterns, Follower Trap Safety, Move It, My Home Is Your Home

A few specific notes:

• More recent versions of AFT (v1.5x) that were created *after* Ceri v1.7's release have been reported to override certain of Ceri's abilities, including healing, and also possibly cause Ceri's wardrobe functions to malfunction. AFT is also preventing Ceri from leading the player to plot destinations associated with her backstory quest installment. The cause related to AFT forcing priority of it's own aliases and packages over those of this mod. I've been speaking with Dheuster on workarounds. Dheuster also mentioned that AFT v1.6 will include a wardrobe toggle, which may eliminate at least part of the wardrobe conflict with Ceri.
  • Until UFO releases a Dragonborn patch, it appears that the "wait" function may be broken. This applies generally to all vanilla system followers, not just Ceri.

Q: Can I use a follower management mod like UFO, EFF, etc., to manage Ceri's spells, perks, etc.?

A: Yes, you can, but I'd strongly advise against it, as you may bork her AI, including SMARTCast. Please keep in mind also that these other frameworks are geared towards managing vanilla mage followers who don't always cast spells in a way that makes sense, which is why they need to give players the ability to micromanage spells individually. Ceri's AI is self-contained and self-sufficient; she comes with plenty of configurable options on how she casts spells, so you should not need to manage her individual spells with another framework. If you choose to manage Ceri's spells and/or perks through another mod, you do so at your own risk. You've been warned.

Related to the above, Ceri's "offense" spells are 100% vanilla, and she will not cast spells from other mods natively at present (e.g., she won't cast MIDAS or Apocalypse spells). If you give her spells from other mods, you do so at your own risk; while Ceri may cast them, they're not included in her SMARTCast AI, etc. If you plan on using another mod to micromanage Ceri's available spells, please turn off SMARTCasat to be safe. If there's enough interest, I'll make a compatibility patch.

Finally, if you're interested in having Ceri SMARTCast spells she doesn't already learn automatically, including those from third-party magic mods, you can do so using Ceri's appearance patch. Even though I call the patch an "appearance patch", it's actually a full-blown patch mod created using mod de-isolation principles. If you don't understand what this means, you should learn about patches and mod dependencies prior to proceeding, or it's very likely that the instructions I provide below will only serve to confuse you. Also, prior to engaging on this path, you should understand thoroughly how Skyrim's vanilla spellcasting AI works, and how SMARTCast works (see Ceri's main nexus page for details). Here are instructions that I posted on Ceri's official comment thread for someone who was interested in adding SMARTCast conjuration spells to Ceri's repertoire:

Instructions, Part 1:

You should be able to add the vanilla conjuration spells via the CK, but I'd recommend that you do the adds to Ceri's appearance patch mod, CerwidenAppearancePatch.esp, rather than as a direct edit to CerwidenCompanion.esp. This is because the appearance patch mod is a true patch mod and, as such, it should not conflict with general updates I make to the main mod. A couple of notes/caveats: First, you're technically not limited to vanilla conjuration spells using the approach I set out below. If you want to add modded spells, such as from Midas, Apoc, etc., the same instructions would apply. Second, because of SMARTCast, you'll need to add the conjuration (or any mod-originated) spells in a particular way:

• You'll first need to set up the master dependencies for ESPs in the same way as if you were changing Ceri's appearance. This means, at a minimum, you'd have Skyrim.esm and CerwidenCompanion.esp as masters, and ESMify CerwidenCompanion.esp, in the scenario where you're supplementing with only vanilla conjuration spells. If you're adding spells from Midas, Apoc, etc., you'll need to ESMify those ESPs and set those as masters. Instructions for doing this are included with the appearance patch mod download in the Data\Docs folder.
  • Load up the CK with the appearance patch mod as the active plugin. All of the patch mod's masters should also load (automatically, if you did the previous step properly), so the CK would also load Skyrim.esm, CerwidenCompanion.esp (as masters), plus any spell mods.
  • Identify all the spells you want to add and organize them into the following 'groups': Shock, Cold, Fire, Alteration. For example, let's say you want to add a vanilla storm atronach summon spell. This would be in the group for 'shock'. If you're adding mod spells, be VERY careful to only consider spells that NPCs 'should' cast, vs. spells reserved for the player.
  • Once you've done step 3 above and organized the spells you want to add, in the CK, go to the Object Window's Miscellaneous->FormList and type 'kcfSpells' in the Object Window Filter. You should get a bunch of lists, which represent the permutations/combinations matrix of Ceri's offensive spellcasting (it's actually fairly modular).
  • Add *ALL* the new offense spells you want to the kcfSpellsOffenseAll list.
  • Add any alteration-school spells to the kcfSpellsOffenseAlteration list.
  • Add fire-based spells to kcfSpellsFireAll and either AoE/ST (Area-of-Effect/Single-Target) as you desire. E.g., if you want Ceri to cast flame atronach summons, add to kcfSpellsFireAll *AND* either kcfSpellsFireAoE *OR* kcfSpellsFireST. Do not add to both. Repeat for other summons. If you have summons that do not fit into an elemental category, add it to ALL the elemental categories.
Once this is done, Ceri will SMARTCast the new spells as she gains the skill/level required to cast them.

Instructions, Part 2:

It may not be a bad idea for you to take a read of this tutorial on how patch mods work, as it will help explain masters vs. plugins and dependencies. Basically, Ceri's appearance patch mod is a full-blown patch mod that can be used to 'patch' just about anything. While I'd originally intended for it to be used for changing Ceri's appearance, it can also be extended to changing stuff like addition of vanilla spells that Ceri doesn't cast by default, or anything that would require interaction among other mods (like mod spells). You may also want to read through the instructions on changing Ceri's appearance for purposes of background and generally getting familiar with the CK. Note that the steps I gave you earlier need to be done in that particular order; if you don't get each step right, chances are the changes won't take.

Tools Needed

To start, let's cover the tools you'll need to use.

• CK: Note that if you do not have the CK set up to allow multiple masters, you'll need to do this or things won't work. Stated differently, by default, the CK only allows for a single master to be loaded (Skyrim.esm typically), so you'll need to add 'bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1', without the quotes, to the [General] section of your SkyrimEditor.ini file. This file is located in the same directory where you installed Skyrim and the CK. Note that I'm assuming your CK version is at least v1.6.89, as Ceri v1.7x won't work with earlier versions. You should be fine if you're on CK v1.7x or v1.8x.
  • Your tool of choice for ESMify/ESPify/Setting Masters/Dependencies: The instruction document for the appearance patch (in your Data\Docs folder) does these operations using Wrye Bash.
When you install Wrye Bash, it will include various help files/links for you to read about the various functions/commands, including setting masters/dependencies and how to ESMify/ESPify. As noted in the instructions, if you prefer to use another tool for doing these operations, you can use your tool of preference (even a standard hex editor if you so choose); IMHO, Wrye Bash is the easiest to use.

Masters, Plugins and Dependencies

Once you've got all the tools installed and configured, pretty much just follow the screenshots in the instruction document on how to ESMify/ESPify. Essentially, what you're doing is tricking the CK to use an ESP (plugin) as a master. Typically, masters are ESMs. That said, it is important to understand that it is NOT the file extension that determines whether a mod file is a master vs. plugin but, rather, a bit flag that gets set in the file itself. Because native ESM files are already considered masters (not by the file extension but by the bit flag), you don't need to do anything special with them, and the CK will understand them to be masters. This is not the case with plugin files (ESPs). And this is where the ESMify comes into play; you're essentially using Wrye Bash to set the bit flag in the ESP to 'trick' the CK into believing it is a master (ESM). To do this, as noted in the instruction screenshots, just select the ESP (e.g., CerwidenCompanion.esp), right-click to bring up the context menu, and click on 'ESMify'. This will change the bit flag identifying the mod to be a master, even though it is an ESP (remember that the file extension is not dispositive).

You'll need to repeat the above for any and all ESP masters. By way of reference example, let's say you want to use spells from both Midas and Apoc: You'll need to ESMify both MidasSkyrim.esp and Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp. To be clear, you don't need to ESMify any mod you want to use as a master if it is already a native ESM (e.g., ApachiiHair.esm). Note that when you do this, Wrye Bash will screw up your load order because masters must load prior to any plugins loading. Don't worry about this for now, we'll address it later.

Once you've got all of the ESPs you want to use ESMify'd, you need to make the appearance patch mod (CerwidenAppearancePatch.esp) dependent on those masters, as well as any ESMs you want and CerwidenCompanion.esp. To do this, select CerwidenAppearancePatch.esp and bring up the context menu in Wrye Bash, and select 'Add Master'. Prior to doing this, make sure all the masters are sorted in the proper load order. By way of reference example, let's say you wanted to change Ceri's appearance (give her a new hairstyle) with Apachii and add spells from vanilla, Midas and Apoc to Ceri's SMARTCast. To do so, you'll need the masters in the following order:

• Skyrim.esm
  • ApachiiHair.esm
  • Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp (note that this will be ESMify'd, but retain the ESP file extension)
  • MidasSkyrim.esp (same comment as for Apoc)
  • CerwidenCompanion.esp
If you did this properly, the mods above will show up in the 'Masters' box on the right-side panel in Wrye Bash.

Loading Everything in the CK

Assuming everything above is done, the next step is to load up the CK. Once the CK is loaded, click on the Open folder icon to bring up the Data Files gump. Once that's up, select CerwidenAppearancePatch.esp (make sure the box has an 'X' in it) and then click the button on the bottom to make it the active plugin, then hit OK to load. Essentially, the CK will only allow you to 'edit' an existing plugin file if it is set to be active. Otherwise, if you don't set an active plugin, the CK will force you to save as a new plugin. If you set the dependencies properly, setting CerwidenAppearancePatch.esp as the active plugin will automatically load the associated masters (in the example above, this means Skyrim.esm, ApachiiHair.esm, Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp, MidasSkyrim.esp and CerwidenCompanion.esp).

Making Your Changes

From here, it's literally following the instructions I gave in my earlier post, starting from Step 3. Once all the changes are in, save CerwidenAppearancePatch.esp and exit the CK.

ESPify the Files You ESMify'd Earlier

Once you've saved, go back to Wrye Bash, select each of the ESPs you ESMify'd earlier, bring up the context menu and select ESPify. This essentially removes the master bit flag that you set earlier to trick the CK to think of an ESP as an ESM. Once you've done this for all the ESPs, re-run Boss to re-sort/fix your load order (remember that when you ESMify'd your ESPs, Wrye Bash would have adjusted their load orders to come 'earlier' than they normally should, so we're essentially fixing this now).

Once all this is done, load Skyrim and enjoy! :smile:

Q: I use another mod that controls where followers go upon being dismissed. How will this affect Ceri's dismissal configuration?

A: This boils down to a couple of things. First, which mod you use to configure Ceri's dismissal *and*, second, the relative load order of Ceri and the other mod. If you want the other mod to control, leave her at her default dismissal setting (current sandbox location) and make sure the other mod loads AFTER Ceri.

Q: I've asked Ceri to take me to her next questline destination, and she won't ride the horse given to her by Convenient Horses or purchased via UFO, and summons a new horse?

A: This is a known issue and there's not much I can do about it at this time if Ceri is to remain in the vanilla follower system. I had to implement this as a workaround based on constraints set by Bethesda relating to NPCs/followers riding + escorting + the parameters set by UFO/CH when followers are supposed to ride. So if you want Ceri to lead you to the next plot location based on her visions, you'll either need to proceed on foot, or if you want to ride, she'll use her own horse. Once the quest segment completes, she'll go back to using her UFO/CH horse normally.

On a tangenial but related note, Elric and Rackhir, should you recruit them, are NOT part of the vanilla follower system and, as such, will NOT use UFO/CH horses. When the player rides, Elric and Rackhir will also summon their own horses and ride those. The horses disappear automatically when Elric/Rackhir dismount, so you don't have to worry about losing them.

A special note for AFT users: Versions of AFT released after Ceri v1.7 appear to be blocking Ceri's ability to lead the player to plot destinations. I've contacted Dheuster about this, as AFT is overriding specific elements of Ceri's functionality, including wardrobe, healing/curing and escorting.

Installation and Troubleshooting

Q: During training with Vilkas during the Companions "Take Up Arms" quest, he keeps complaining about me using magic and I cannot complete the quest.

A: This issue should be fixed in Ceri v1.7+; it was an oversight on my part with v1.6.3 and Ceri's dialogue detection. If you're using v1.6.3 as a near-term workaround, and prior to commencement of training with Vilkas, speak with Ceri and turn OFF her speech detection via dialogue. After the training with Vilkas, you can turn it back on (you can use console "set kcfCommentPolite to [0/1]". This issue should not impact users of Ceri versions earlier than v1.6.3.

Q: Ceri is interfering with my brawls/fist fights! What gives?

A: I've added in a number of checks to prevent this but I've been informed by some users that some of the check scripts I put in place may firing late, so try turning OFF Ceri's NPC speech detection under her debug dialogue prior to engaging in a brawl and then turning it back on after. By way of background, Ceri's spells that utilize auras include checks to exclude any brawl governed by the vanilla brawl parameters. As such, there are two causes to Ceri's interference. First, if you're using a modded brawl system that uses something other than the vanilla brawl quest system, well, there's your answer. Second, the vanilla brawl quests are VERY finicky because of the way they were programmed by Bethesda in the sense that a number of 'magical auras' the player or followers may have are considered interference/'real' combat. What does this have to do with this mod? Nothing, except that if you use another mod that tosses an aura onto YOU (as the player), Ceri, another follower, the brawl opponent, etc., the vanilla quest considers this to be interference and, as such ... Ceri (or other followers, and even friendly NPCs) may interfere. So what's an example of this aura? Let's say you use the "Footprints" mod. Well, that mod tosses an aura so that you and your followers make "footprints" in snow. Another mod that tosses auras is "Player Headtracking", which does so in that the player faces NPCs under certain circumstances. While neither of these mods have anything to do with brawls, these sorts of auras interfere with the vanilla brawl quest. Each of these mods has specific instructions on how to avoid this from happening, so please refer to the instructions provided by those mods when you installed them. As an aside, these are both excellent mods, and you should check them out for increased immersion. :)

Please also note that Footprints/Player Headtracking are meant to be representative examples of mods that toss auras around the player, followers and/or other nearby NPCs. There are likely mods that toss auras as well, so if they don't include specific conditions that account for brawls, you're going to run into situations where Ceri interferes with your brawls. Other mods reported by users to toss auras that interfere with brawls:

• Duel - Combat Realism
  • No NPC Greetings
  • Sneak Tools
  • WATER - Get Wet

omega2008 suggests that users with this issue also download Brawl Bug Plugin, with caveat that this will only work for you if your interfering mods use the coding conventions set forth by this plugin. To be clear, you only need this mod if you have another mod that tosses auras *AND* the other mod is coded against the Brawl Bug Plugin's specifications. If you're not using mods that toss auras, you do not need this plugin.

If, after checking the above, and Ceri is still interfering with your brawls, use a "minimal" modset to help you identify the cause. My test game masters, straight from Wrye Bash:

Masters for: Rolff Brawl.ess

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  ApachiiHair.esm
03  HighResTexturePack01.esp
04  HighResTexturePack02.esp
05  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.2]
06  CerwidenCompanion.esp
07  Extended Slider Colors.esp

To figure out what mod is causing the issue in your particular modset:

1. Start a NEW game with a minimal modset like the one I have above. This removes any chance of orphaned scripts/effects associated with mod de-activation in an existing game, eliminating this as a possible brawl interference cause.
  2. Pick up Ceri from Riverwood; you can select the option of her hiring YOU and she'll pay you 500 gold so you'll have the wager money for brawls. Leave her on default settings.
  3. Head over to Uthgerd in Whiterun and make a baseline save game PRIOR to brawling.
  4. Brawl Uthgerd and verify Ceri's non-interference (Ceri shouldn't interfere at all if you're using a modset like the one I showed above; I've tested countless times against it).
  5. Start adding back your mods a few at a time, reload your save from #3 above, and keep repeating this step and brawling Uthgerd until Ceri interferes.
  6. Once you hit a set where Ceri interferes, start deactivating mods from that set, one at a time, reload the save from #3, and redo the brawl to determine what mod is causing the interference.

Q: Ceri is frozen in combat-mode?

A: This is a vanilla issue with followers and has been around since day 1 of Skyrim and appears to strike spellcasting followers more often than other types. Go to the console, click on Ceri to get her PRID (or type it manually, it should be xx001d14 where "xx" represents your load order), then type "resetai" without the quotes and hit enter. This should put her back to normal 99.99999% of the time. If it doesn't, you can either do a "openactorcontainer 1" and remove/readd a piece of what she's wearing or fast-travel, and that will force her out of the combat stance. Finally, you can use the "Cerwiden - Call Companion" spell, and that should also snap her out of combat mode.

Q: Ceri has delayed reactions to situations, e.g., warns of assassin attacks after they occur?

A: Chances are you have more mods going on than your rig can handle. Cerwiden is probably one of the more heavily scripted mods and, as such, needs a decent amount of memory to work effectively for functions that are "time sensitive". If you consistently encounter delays in her actions, try lightening the load on your game by reducing the number of mods you run, etc., or use Ceri v1.5, which doesn't require nearly as much processing (because there's no questline or random banter).

Q: You've said for Cerwiden version X.X that I need a "clean save" mod install; how do I do that?

A: Please follow the steps below:

• 1 Go to a location NOT the Riverwood Sleeping Giant Inn.
  • 2 Take from Ceri any equipment you don't want to lose, and say goodbye to her. Note that this includes clearing out Ceri from other mods that interact with her (e.g., if you use UFO, EFF, etc., be sure to DISMISS Ceri from your active followers; if you use BBBLS, remove her from your house guest access list, etc.; if you're married to Ceri, see below to avoid complications).
  • 3 If you have Ceri's Battle Command/summon spell as a Favorite, remove it from Favorites. If you're using v1.6, speak with Ceri and select the "uninstall" option. If you're using v1.5 or lower, from the console, type "stopquest kcfDPDialogueCerwiden" without the quotes, hit enter and exit the console. Do the same for "kcfCerwidenAddsQuest" and "kcfCerwidenModInitialize01".
  • 4 Save your game in a NEW slot (do not use quicksave), and exit Skyrim.
  • 5 Uninstall the old version of Ceri, and if you use ASIS, a bashed patch or something similar to either of those, rebuild them now without Ceri installed.
  • 6 Load the save from 4, click "T" to wait for at least one full day and save AGAIN in a new slot (not quicksave), and exit Skyrim.
  • 7 Install and activate the current Cerwiden mod.
  • 8 If you use ASIS patcher, add CerwidenCompanion.esp to your ModExclusions section of ASIS.ini and rebuild your ASIS.esp.
  • 9 If you use a bashed patch, rebuild it.
  • 10 Load your save from 6 and Ceri will be waiting for you at the Sleeping Giant Inn.
  • 11 If you are on Skyrim 1.7, and Ceri's dialogue doesn't show up for you, save your game in a new slot, exit Skyrim and reload the game; this relates to a change with Skyrim v1.7 in terms of how custom dialogue is handled. If you're using Ceri v1.6.3 or earlier and this happens, please save/exit/reload. This issue should be resolved in Ceri v1.7+ with the addition of the SEQ file.
  • 12 Reconfigure Ceri to your playstyle and enjoy!

Q: How do I access Cerwiden's "Debug Mode"?

A: If you're on v1.6.3+, debug mode is the default setting, but I may be changing this once I'm able to re-do some of her configuration menu for easier navigation. For earlier versions, from the console, type "set kcfDebugMode to 1" without the quotes and hit enter, exit the console and speak with Ceri. What debug options will be available will depend on whether Ceri is an active party member. For example, her v1.6 "uninstall" debug option won't appear until AFTER you've dismissed her.

Q: Something is wrong, Ceri switches outfits while she's following me actively, and armor I give her is gone?

A: I've yet to be able to reproduce this, and many, many Ceri users have not run into this problem while using the major companion management frameworks. If you're running into something like this, it could mean a few different things. For example, it could be that you have a LOAD/INSTALL ORDER or configuration issue (if you're new to load ordering, please see this Nexus primer on load orders and BOSS. If you are confident about your load/install order, make a new "test" save in a new slot (not quicksave), dismiss Ceri, exit Skryim and DISABLE your other mods and leave only Ceri active and retest her behavior. Second, another cause is that you're using another mod that is somehow forcing Ceri into a non-vanilla package that is somehow interfering with her wardrobe. Please keep in mind that I coded Ceri against VANILLA packages to ensure maximum compatibility with mods generally. And Ceri is a tad bit more complex than the average, vanilla follower. :P

If you continue to have issues with this, there are a couple of options you can try. First, set Ceri so that you manage her wardrobe. This option will prevent her from ever switching outfits on her own. Second, and only if you're using v1.6+, you can ask her to remember up to two different sets of worn items, including those from other mods and items improved by workbenches (by way of reference example, I have the white Tribunal Robes set to Ceri's "adventuring" outfit. Ceri will wear remembered outfits when you ask, and in the case of the "adventuring" outfit, if she's switched to something else while "relaxing", she'll switch back into her adventuring gear when you ask her to follow again. These options are all available under the "About what you wear ..." dialogue tree.

Q: I'm absolutely certain I installed properly, and Ceri is nowhere to be found in Riverwood?

A: She occasionally decides to sneak into Delphine's basement. Don't ask me why. You can bring her back to you by going into the console:

1. Type "prid xx001d14", without quotes, where "xx" is your load position, and hit enter.
  2. Type "moveto player" without quotes and hit enter.

Q: I've found Ceri in Riverwood, and she speaks with me, but I don't get the "Follow me. I need your help." dialogue option.

A: You have a load order/mod conflict from another mod that alters DialogueFavorGeneric, which is the vanilla "quest" that includes that dialogue line and handles "recruitment" of vanilla followers/hirelings. Ceri needs to load AFTER any mod you're using that alters DialogueFavorGeneric, and after any follower management mods you may be using (e.g., UFO, AFT, EFF, BDO).

Q: I'm still having trouble, Ceri is misbehaving in one way or another (e.g., not healing when she's supposed to).

A: The vast majority of issues that I cannot reproduce relate to load order conflicts, mod INSTRUCTION conflicts (you try to manage Ceri's actions through more than one mod) and/or problems you may be having with other mods of which, unfortunately, Ceri's misbehavior is merely SYMPTOMATIC. To see if this is indeed the case, check your own error logs and see what messages show there relating to Ceri vis-a-vis everything else you're running. If, AFTER checking this, you believe that Ceri is the cause of your issues, please contact me with your (i) configuration settings for Ceri, (ii) your load order with the NUMBERED loading prefix -- see below if you don't know what this is, (iii) a copy of your Papyrus log (see instructions below in the FAQ on how to get your log), and (iv) specific times within your log to check when Ceri is "misbehaving". Prior to sending me your logs, however, please do a little due diligence and CHECK to see if your log is filled with a gazillion errors from other mods and only a handful of non-error comments from Ceri and this mod. Indeed, if this is the situation, chances are you've answered your own question on why Ceri isn't behaving as expected.

Specifically relating to a NUMBERED load order, please keep in mind that it can be difficult to decipher logs without knowing your mod load order. When posting a link to your load order, please make sure it shows a NUMBERED load order that looks like this:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights.esm
03  Omegared99-Compilation.esm
04  Populated Cities NPCListMaster.esm
05  SkyMoMod.esm
06  WARZONES - Civil Unrest.esm
07  JSwords.esm
08  ArmedttTeeth.esm
09  Skyrim Adventurer's Tent.esm
0A  ApachiiHair.esm
0B  CMNewCompanions.esm
0C  CK's Companions.esm
0D  KCFCompanions.esm
0E  HighResTexturePack01.esp
0F  HighResTexturePack02.esp
10  DaedricShieldHiResFix.esp
11  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.2]
12  HighResTexturePackFix.esp
13  StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
14  83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp
15  ADV HB-Style.esp
16  AV1Dragon_Lords.esp
17  Birdsofskyrim.esp
18  Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
19  hqsnow.esp
1A  UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
1B  More Carriages.esp
1C  Occupy Skyrim.esp
1D  Portable Campsite.esp
1E  iHUD.esp
1F  ArmoredCircletsQuickFox.esp
20  Cloaks.esp
21  JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp
22  Omegared99-WeaponSets.esp
23  Omegared99-Compilation-NPC Plugin.esp
24  KCFGear.esp
25  Dr_Bandolier.esp
++  PISE-Increased Level Scales.esp
26  DeadlyDragons.esp
27  Beautiful Whiterun.esp
28  Breezehome_FullyUpgradable.esp
29  GardensOfWhiterun.esp
2A  Radiance.esp
2B  RealisticWhiterun.esp
2C  riverwood creek.esp
2D  RiverWood Redux.esp
2E  Riverwood Redux Expanded Basement.esp
2F  SleepingDangers-SandsofTime.esp
30  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 1.2.1]
31  WARZONES - Optional Performance Pack.esp
32  whiterunMarket.esp
33  DynamicMerchants.esp
34  Hemet2CircletReplacer.esp
35  ImprovedScImpUniforms - Main.esp
++  RichMerchants_Less.esp
++  Skyrim Unlimited Rings And Amulets.esp
36  Detailed Cities.esp
37  Populated Cities.esp
38  Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
39  MidasSkyrim.esp
3A  GriptzionTeleportMenuSpellv3.1.esp
3B  TH_Storage_All.esp
3C  dovahkiinrelax.esp
3D  DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
3E  The Dance of Death.esp
3F  Dual Wield Parrying_ScriptDragon.esp
40  N_43 Hair Pack.esp
41  UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
42  CMNewCompanions.esp
43  CK's Companions.esp
44  KCFCompanions.esp
45  Better Followers - SP.esp
46  CerwidenCompanion.esp
47  CerwidenAppearancePatch.esp
48  Spousetocustomhome.esp
49  Extended Slider Colors.esp
4A  rcrnShaders.esp
4B  WATER.esp
4C  WATER - Get Wet.esp
4D  PlayerHomeMapMarkers.esp
4E  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
4F  ASIS-Dependency.esp
50  ASIS.esp

Also, if you're running a lot of mods, I'd strongly recommend that you use Wrye Bash to handle mod installation management over NMM/manual unless you really, really know what you're doing.

Q: You've asked that I do a "clean save" update but I'm married to Cerwiden; won't that bork marriage?

A: If you're using a marriage mod, "divorce" Cerwiden prior to uninstalling (this is one of those things I meant earlier by clearing out all game references to Ceri). If you're using the vanilla marriage system, do the following either prior to uninstall or after reinstall:

• 1 Open the console and click Ceri to get her as your PRID
  • 2 Type "removefac 51596" without quotes and hit enter
  • 3 Type "player.removefac C6472" without quotes and hit enter
  • 4 Type "resetquest 74793" without quotes and hit enter
  • 5 Type "resetquest 21382" without quotes and hit enter
  • 6 Type "setstage 74793 10" without quotes and hit enter
  • 7 Wait for a full 24 hours, then proceed to (re)marry

Another possible cause, particularly if you're certain of your load order, etc., is that you simply have more mods, HD textures, etc., than your rig can handle effectively. For example, if Ceri's not healing, or otherwise doing something she's supposed to be doing, or does it very "late", chances are it's because there's a script delay/stall going on. If there aren't errors popping up in your logs, then you're likely in this situation. Try running Skyrim on lower graphics settings, don't use as many HD textures and/or reduce the number of mods you run that have heavy scripting components.

Q: I've recently updated to Skyrim 1.7 and all sorts of issues abound, Cerwiden's configuration dialogue is missing, etc.?

A: This has been occurring for some Ceri users who've also concurrently updated to Skyrim 1.7.70. The cause, at least for some users, is that Steam changed the load order of mods. The other is that Skyrim 1.7 (re)introduced another custom dialogue bug. Try one or more of the following to resolve:

• Save, Exit Skyrim and reload; This has fixed the issue for the majority of folks who've run into this issue after updating to Skyrim 1.7. See this post on the Bethesda Official Forum. Note that this applies to Ceri versions 1.6.3 and earlier; this should be resolved in Ceri v1.7+ with the addition of the SEQ file.
  • Re-run BOSS to fix the load order.
  • Dismiss Ceri, save your game, reload, re-recruit.
  • If you're using a companion framework mod, make sure that it is verified to work with Skyrim 1.7, following any update instructions for that mod.
  • If none of the above work, go to your console and type "getquestrunning kcfDPDialogueCerwiden" without the quotes and hit enter. If the response is "0.00", type "startquest kcfDPDialogueCerwiden" without the quotes and hit enter. DO NOT DO A RESETQUEST; if you do, go and revert back to an earlier save or prepare for a clean save mod reinstall. :P
  • Check to make sure the mod is active ("help Cerwiden" from the console without the quotes).

Q: You asked that I provide Papyrus log excerpts relating to an issue I've reported; how do I do this?

A: Please follow the steps below:

• 1 Make sure you have your Papyrus logging enabled in your Skyrim.ini. This file is typically found in your My Games\Skyrim folder (don't edit the one in your Skyrim install). After opening Skyrim.ini, verify that you have "bEnableLogging=1" in the Papyrus section and add the line if you don't.
  • 2 Take note of the "real" time when an issue occurs.
  • 3 After exiting Skyrim, go to the My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script directory and you'll see your Papyrus logs. Open the one that is within the general timeframe of 2 above.
  • 4 Once you open the log, you'll see each of the entries have timestamps. Find the specific timeframe of the issue occurrence and see if there's anything relating to Ceri there, including anything with Ceri interactions with other mods (you'll be able to tell by the 1st two characters of the IDs, which correspond with the mod load order).
  • 5 Copy the pertient excerpt(s) from 4 and PM them to me if or post in the comments area if short. If you have huge logs, please send me a link to them from your favorite file site (IOW, please don't send me 1mb logs by PM; and if you have 1mb logs, chances are very high that Ceri's NOT the proximate cause of your problems).

• 1 month later...

Cerwiden Debug Modes

Q: What are "debug modes"?

A: When I first created Cerwiden, I needed a way to test different aspects of her functionality, and I found that having dialogue-based debug options to be the simplest for me, personally, in terms of organizing and testing. While my original intention was for these to be testing/debugging options, over time, it became apparent that many Ceri users wanted to be able to "tweak" aspects of Ceri without having to use console codes or go into the CK. Starting in v1.6, Ceri's basic debug options should be available by default. This is the equivalent of using the console to "set kcfDebugMode to 1". If for whatever reason the basic debug options aren't showing up, just use the console and type "set kcfDebugMode to 1" without the quotes and hit enter, then speak again with Ceri.

Q: What "debug modes" are available to users?

A: The following debug modes may be set, depending on what you'd like to tweak:

• 0 : This is the default for Ceri versions 1.5 and earlier, and no debug options are shown in Ceri's dialogue menu.
  • 1 : These options may be accessed via "Ceri, I'd like to speak with you ..." -> "Cerwiden Debug Options". From here, you may reset/force outfits, adjust friend list, reset friend/favor/rival points, adjust banter randomness/frequency, etc. This should be enabled by default in Ceri v1.6x+; if you don't see this option, use the console and type "set kcfDebugMode to 1" without the quotes and hit enter.
  • 2: This is ONLY for uninstalls/clean save installs, and starting with v1.7. In v1.6, this option is available under mode 1 but I removed it because some folks were clicking it by accident. Additionally, this option only shows if Ceri is NOT an active follower. The option appears in Ceri's top-level dialogue.
  • 3 : This allows for certain quest-related debug in v1.7+, such as setting her initial friendship level (you still MUST thank her once more after selecting this to trigger her dialogue) and bypassing certain quest-related wait periods (default is 1 game day wait, see the Spoiler Guide).

If you're fiddling, you'll likely uncover other debug modes, but I really don't intend for those to be used unless you really, really know what you're doing, as you could bork Ceri's quests, etc. So if you mess with other modes, you do so at your own risk. You've been warned.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I've recently had to reload my game. Part of my reload is Cerwiden.

Now, I am new to modding, I've only been playing this game since Christmas. It was a nice present, one that just keeps giving.

I've gotten back in to play after having restarted the game.

When I first entered the inn, she was there. However, she only has head, hands, sword and feet.

I've tried offloading and reloading Dimon99's UNP, now, in the two reloads I've done, there has not been an esp file for this mod. However, if I offload and restart the game I do get the "something's missing" message.

So either this mod doesn't drop an esp or something strange is happening in my system.

She was in the same condition, I have not spoken with her yet, I didn't want to mess something up.

Anyway, I've also done the same with the Ceri mod.

I will let you know that I have done clean saves before I performed any of these moves.

After I did her offload I went back to the inn, she wasn't there. Left the inn did another clean save, exited the game, reloaded Ceri with NMM. Went back in the inn, after reloading of course,.

She's still the same, no body just the extensions.

I tried speaking to her, no response. She looks at my character, but does not respond in any other way.

When I first tried the mod, I did read up what was available. I thought I had seen something similar to what I have happening. I've been looking but have not found it. i may have missed it for all I know and am bothering you needlessly, I'll keep looking and see if I find that item.

@playtryout Please post questions and issues into Ceri's main support thread. What it sounds like you have going on here is either a bad install (possibly bad download missing asset files) or load order. Try redownloading and doing the install again off a baseline/minimal save. Also, verify your load order is OK.

• 2 months later...

I try to change Ceri to a custom race. but following from the instruction it wont work. I already read the comment on forum and someone got the same problem as me but he already solve it but i cant. Need advise on Loverrace girl and SG hair.

Big thx