Old Moddable Games

Rennn

I've been searching for a long time for moddable older games, so I thought I'd ask here. There are a few preferences, however:

The game should be for a Windows OS (2000, XP, 7, etc). I like playing a few DOS games in DOSbox, but I don't want to try modding any of them on a Windows OS with tools meant for DOS.

The game should be fairly moddable. It doesn't need to be as moddable as Oblivion, but you should be able to do more than swap textures. Games with toolkits are preferred, but a toolkit isn't necessary. If you just can't think of any moddable older rpgs, then as a last resort I'd be happy with just texture swapping and similar tweaks.

The game should be as open as possible. Once again, it doesn't need to be as open as Morrowind, but it shouldn't use a linear mission system.

I've tried Google, but usually everyone just recommends the games that everybody already knows about, like Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, etc. Those suggestions aren't very helpful because they're very common and well-known.

Edited by Rennn

I can name a few that I play while using mods made by others:

Action/Rpg

Blade of Darkness

Rune

Die by the Sword

Gothic 2

FPS

Soldier of Fortune 1/2

Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast

Half Life

I am not quite sure how easily they would be to mod or if the mod tools would work with windows 7 but you can give them a try.

Out of those probably only Gothic 2 would fit your description :tongue:

Rennn,

You might try Fate, Fate Forgotten Realms, Fate The Traitor's Soul (these got me thinking about modding) Fate and Fate Forgotten Realms work for windows XP and possibly win 2000 too. Fate The Traitor's Soul I think works on XP. There are modding kits, scripts can be changed, re-texturizing, adding new items, icons, menu changes etc. You need 3ds Max 8 or 9 though and the Fate modding plugins for it to change the files to a format the Fate games accept. Google Fate Modding - sites should should show up, modders are pretty helpful on the forums. Lots of tutorials too and various mods. Also try Heroes of Might and Magic III or V. There are some mods out for those games as well along with full editors, and I think some modding tools too. Heroes III is compatible with Windows XP. Heroes V might be. Warcraft III from what I have run across is another one with mods and modding tools. Warcraft II might be another possibility. Warcraft III is compatible with Windows XP. Warcraft II is compatible with Windows XP, 2000, and I think Windows 98. In most of these there have been mods to change game scripts, modify or add weapons, armor, new character types 3ds Max (possibly Blender compatible - some games), re-colors/textures with Photoshop. Scripting changes with Python or through the game's dat files (Fate series). Uru is another one - whole worlds that your character can link to can be created (meshes, scripts, textures - the works) Windows XP compatible. Main site used to be Uru Ages Deep Island.de (not exact link but if googled should come up) Try Myst Writers Guild and Myst Maintainers Guild sites too. 3ds Max or Blender can be used. Lots of tools and tutorials available. The Age of Empires and Age of Mythology series I think are pretty moddable too and have tools available. Maybe Empire Earth (not sure about it though) Some of the games above are compatible with windows 7 too (Uru, Warcraft III, Fate, Heroes III and V). I don't know if these are too common or not. Warcraft probably and Age of Empires might be too. But Uru, Fate, and Heroes of Might and Magic are a little less common.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by thestormdragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I was going to suggest Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 as well as Planescape Torment... but it seems you already know about those.

thestormdragon mentioned something about WarCraft II. The dos version can't be played on Win 7 64 bit without using Dosbox but the map editor seems to work fine in windows. I've read that the battle.net version may be able to work with Win 7.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...