Skyrim RAM usage increases...

clipfox

I had a question about Skyrim and it's memory caps. It's nice that they made it able to use more than 2GB, but I've been running into some problems with the thing all of a sudden.

I don't know if the commit size/paged memory counts towards the memory cap, but my game used to use a max of ~3GB combined working set RAM and committed memory. Without any changes to mods, etc. on my end, all of the sudden it uses 2.5-2.7GB of working set RAM in certain areas, and about 2.2-2.5GB committed memory. The game stalls out when both combined reaches about 4.5GB.

Alternatively, I have no idea if it might be some problem with my mods, however nothing changed with the mods and for quite some time it worked just fine. The problem mainly occurs when I go from an interior cell to an exterior one.

Anyone have any insights or advice?

I have posted the same question, so if anyone answers you, PLEASE advise me.

This issue is driving me crazy. I had a small mod that was 100k and I added a basement and started to add

a library, then I ran into the issue. I could add 8 book shelves and ENTER the home with no issues.

It would crash to desktop when leaving.

I have posted the same question, so if anyone answers you, PLEASE advise me.

This issue is driving me crazy. I had a small mod that was 100k and I added a basement and started to add

a library, then I ran into the issue. I could add 8 book shelves and ENTER the home with no issues.

It would crash to desktop when leaving.

Sure, no problem. I'm completely stuck in Breezehome. I've tried using the 'coc' console command to load other areas, but to no avail.

Do you use new meshes, modified weapons,clothing, new armor etc,can you unload esp files and then transition? Not always a memory usage issue.

I had a new armor mod and weapon mod that I had disabled. Have a couple of mods that added buildings out in the sticks. High resolution texture pack... In any case, I pretty much tried unloading them (and ghosting them so that the engine didn't see them anymore) and even tried reverting the texture pack back to the low resolution console-y textures. No dice. I wonder if some of the mods might've done something bad to the ini files or something.

Most of my CTD, crash to desktop was because I had more than 2 house mods. I would disable them and all would be fine. Since then I found a mod that cleans up memory and now I have 5 house mods and I'm loving it.

That being said, you might want to disable the majority of your mods that deal with houses, meshes, etc. Then load skyrim, save your game. I know it is in the Breezewood home but make a save without the extra mod info etc. Scripts can run even though the mod is disabled. Try transitioning. If not, enable your mods again and try transitioning; this will enable mods on a clean save.

I am thinking the .ini is not the issue.

I recommend this way to save your time you spent on the character.

Otherwise, if you don't care about the character, start a new game and see if all mods work from scratch.

@clipfox - the game is a 32 bit program - and because of that the absolute maximum amount of RAM it can use is 4G. This is a limitation of the 32 bits. Then even for that you MUST have a 64 bit Windows first or it can't use more than about 3.3 to 3.4 G of RAM - the system just can't do it.

With a 64 bit windows, AND more than 4 G of RAM, the other stuff that MUST be in ram for the computer to work can be loaded into the ram above the 4G allocated for the game, allowing the 32 bit game to use the full 4G

Paged memory does not count toward ram size as it is swapped out to the hard drive and is not actual RAM. Paged memory must be swapped back into actual ram to be used though - and that means some other data must first be swapped out of the ram to make room.

@clipfox - the game is a 32 bit program - and because of that the absolute maximum amount of RAM it can use is 4G. This is a limitation of the 32 bits. Then even for that you MUST have a 64 bit Windows first or it can't use more than about 3.3 to 3.4 G of RAM - the system just can't do it.

With a 64 bit windows, AND more than 4 G of RAM, the other stuff that MUST be in ram for the computer to work can be loaded into the ram above the 4G allocated for the game, allowing the 32 bit game to use the full 4G

Paged memory does not count toward ram size as it is swapped out to the hard drive and is not actual RAM. Paged memory must be swapped back into actual ram to be used though - and that means some other data must first be swapped out of the ram to make room.

Yeah, I wish they would've just made a 64 bit executable. Hopefully with the next gen of consoles coming out they might do that next time. A question, I guess... How does one force the OS stuff (and other programs if possible) to run in high mem? Any guidance or links on how to do so would be appreciated!

Most of my CTD, crash to desktop was because I had more than 2 house mods. I would disable them and all would be fine. Since then I found a mod that cleans up memory and now I have 5 house mods and I'm loving it.

That being said, you might want to disable the majority of your mods that deal with houses, meshes, etc. Then load skyrim, save your game. I know it is in the Breezewood home but make a save without the extra mod info etc. Scripts can run even though the mod is disabled. Try transitioning. If not, enable your mods again and try transitioning; this will enable mods on a clean save.

I am thinking the .ini is not the issue.

I recommend this way to save your time you spent on the character.

Otherwise, if you don't care about the character, start a new game and see if all mods work from scratch.

Which mod cleans memory? I'm running the debloatifier and possessive corpses mods... And I recently tried that SCMO thing too. Game is running now, but still sometimes gets stuck.

I have a nexus downloaded file called Skryim Performance and crash prevention.

file name is: skyrim performance mod.esp

also I was searching in the steam community

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86285405&searchtext=performance

I haven't used that one, but I believe it will help.

Edited by Ashenfire