Where do you find quarried stone for Hearthfire?

Snowsong

I could only find ONE person who would sell me land: the Jarl of Dawnstar. (I didn't try Solitude or Markarth, though ...) I can't find quarried stone anywhere and the game is giving me no clues where I might find it. Thanks.

Only Dawnstar, Morthal and Falkreath have purchaseable land plots. Basically, the three major towns that don't already have player housing (I'm gonna go ahead and count the entire College as a 'home' for Winterhold).

As for stone, grab a pickaxe and look around for a new 'vein' of stone. There should be one within spitting distance of whatever house you've begun building (ditto for a clay deposit), and they contain far more stone than an ore vein has ore. I've also found clay deposits out in the middle of the wild, so I assume there's stone laying about on the map as well. Far more stone and clay than you could ever need for the three houses currently available, in fact, which makes me assume the extra deposits are there for either selling or modding in additional homes.

Thanks for the replies. Weird ... I tried and tried and tried to get Morthal and Falkreath to sell me land, but neither of those places ever gave me the option. I spent several real human hours in Falkreath trying to trigger them selling land, but it never happened. I don't have any mods, either (I got rid of all of them right before Dawnguard came out), so I know it's not a mod conflict. Is it buggy, or did I just not do something right? I'd talked to both the Jarl and his house steward (or whatever he/she's called), and when that didn't work I tried talking to other people in the town. I did some quests for the town and came back to the Jarl and steward and they STILL wouldn't give me the 'buy land' option. Edited by Snowsong

OK, I finally got the Morthal dudes to sell me some land. I was playing my game again, and decided I would attempt to get land in Morthal again. I went to the Jarl's hut and was greeted by a dude who announced that he was my HOUSECARL (even though I didn't have a house there and didn't own land there yet). The steward then gave me the option to purchase land. Maybe the housecarl will take up residence in the newly-built house after it's built? I still can't get the 'buy land' thing to trigger in Falkreath, however.

I haven't attempted Dawnstar yet, but Morthal requires you become Thane first, and Falkreath requires you at least do the first "defeat the bandits" quest for thanehood.

As for the quarry stone, there's literally an unlimited supply of quarry stone right on the two building sites. Look for the pickaxe, and mine away. The clay and quarry stone don't ever run out like an ore would, unless my game is glitched.

In Dawnstar the quest requires you to attain full thanehood and the quarry stone location is directly behind the carpenter's workbench. There is also a clay deposit nearby and several more over behind where the stable will be located. (right by where you fast travel to)

Is it normal that my deposits are unlimited? Or should they run out? If they did I think it would take forever to build a house since the foundation requires 50 for just one foundation.

UESP Wiki is your friend. Dawnstar does not require you to become the Thane. You have to do the quest to cure the nightmares in the town, then go back to the Jarl. You may have to ask them for work if you've done nothing else to make them like you (Skald sends you to splat a giant, here's hoping you're feeling awesome), but that's all the prerequisites you need after that.

Also, all stone and clay deposits are unlimited. Seriously, bookmark the UESP.

Edited by Khorak

An update:

I finally was able to get the Falkreath House. Thanks to some helpful hints from people pointing me to the Wiki (thanks!) I discovered that an unfinished quest was preventing me from getting the proper quests from the Falkreath Jarl. It was a Solitude quest in which I had to find a book called "The Mirror." I'd left this quest unfinished and it was keeping me from getting the appropriate dialogue from the Jarl of Falkreath, for some reason I can't fathom. The two quests aren't even remotely related. They aren't even in the same part of Skyrim! Aaarrggghhhh!!!!

Anyway, once I did "The Mirror" book quest, the Jarl of Falkreath suddenly was triggered to start giving me two other quests I couldn't get before: the mead quest and a bandits quest.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

You can also ask existing Housecarls (from homes you already own in other cities) to become Housecarl of your "fine (magnificent?) new steading" ... (at least that's what Lydia said when I asked her and let's face it, Breezehome is a little small to really need a live in Thane/Housecarl)

Or you can use one of the "new" Housecarls ... I DO wish you could choose an appropriate bard for your home, i.e. sex/race/demeanor (like one of the students at the college)... But the CK is your friend, as I now have a happy and cheerful female breton bard named "Llewella the Nightingale"