Localization voices for variety.

Krudoru

Hoping a modder can figure a way to take the non-english versions of the game to put in extra voices so we can have more realistic voices for soldiers with different nationalities.

Also the camera automatically moves back in on soldiers after the player zooms out.

Edited by Krudoru

Here's a possibly relevant question: I wonder how many international (non-American) versions of the game have localized voices? For example, French voice acting in the French version, Japanese in the Japanese, etc.

Changing the voices would be FANTASTIC.

With all due respect to the USA... 9 different male USA-english voices for 20 different countries of people = KAK!

In theory you can "just" replace the female and male voice banks in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\CookedPCConsole

You cant (easily) add more than the 9 male 6 female sets though.

SO leave Voice 1 as American, and repalce the others with Regionally localised voices... However, bear in mind these will be in that localised-countries' native language... NOT in accented english!

SO unless you know a lot of languages, you wont know what they are saying...Having said that, i'd prefer that anyway.

The big shame is there's no way to do South-African, Australian, Canadian, Scots, British (tc) english, without getting new voice acting for all of the 14banks per voice.

------

The sound files are .ogg packed up as .upk....

you can use the standard un-packer on the .upk file, then use oggextract to get the .ogg files out form the upk.

I haven't found a system for reliably unpacking the .ogg files with their original filenames though.

• 2 weeks later...

I want this so bad. I'm sick of people from Germany, Japan and Sweden speaking fluent English with American accent.

Would love if someone could make a mod with voices or voiceovers from some or all of the original countries. Heck, I'd even offer my own Swedish voice for that, either as pure Swedish or English with natural Swedish accent.

That one is on my list of minor gripes / my wishlist as well. Wouldn't have been too much to ask of the developers to have some of the voice actors use a german/british/french/african/etc. sounding accent.

As it is now, I do mind the loss of the perks that a high ranking soldier had when he/she dies. But I don't really mind loosing that particular soldier.

Meaning that the soldiers have too little personality as it is IMO - I would've wished for a bit more "role-playing"-type of feel in their management. Having more variety in their speech, including accents that match their nationalities, would've been a nice little step in this direction.

E.

Edited by 1elvis

Hmmm, to have a game filled with Alec Guinness, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Antonio Banderas, Hugh Jackman and Gerard Butler ... I could live with that ... Lol ...

I do agree though that I'm sick of hearing the same continuous American drawl coming from both male and female soldiers regardless of their nationality ...

Though I'd love to have a "Heavy" class soldier and have a voice option to make him sound like Michael Clarke Duncan, that would be EPIC! Or a "Sniper" that sounds like Sigourney Weaver (Ripley)

Bah.. I don't really need the ability to assign voices myself. Right now they all sound rather generic anyway, since they all use the exact same "library" of sentences. I'd rather have the computer assign voices for me, but those voices should have more variety to them to make the guys more distinguishable and "unique" on the battlefield. And by variety I mean both the country-specific accents as well as unique responses to certain commands. I've had turns when three or more guys used the exact same confirmation one after the other - how much more generic can you get? ;)

I do realize that XCOM isn't as RPG-heavy as Jagged Alliance 2, but I have to quote that classic game again as a yardstick. The characters in JA2 (and in JA1 for that matter) were so distinguishable and unique that you really started to care about them (or, in some cases, to hate them) and you really didn't want to loose your favourite soldiers in battle. Not just because of their stats but also because of their "personality". I remember hiring Reuban (that crazy hedge-trimmer-killer) in Deadly Games just so that I could listen to his insults towards the opposing team.

IMO, taking the JA-approach and having a limited pool of unique soldiers available for hire would've been the better alternative for XCOM - with the added bonus of increased difficulty. Depleat your supply of soldiers and the game is over. As it is now, they're all pretty much disposable since you have an unlimited supply of recruits and the customization-option means that none of them are unique in any way.

And like I said above: It wouldn't have been *that* hard. All you really need for a (very basic) "accent"-approach would be eight unique soundbanks

2x English (British/US) US for USA and Canada, British for everyone else. Not perfect, I know

Spanish for Spain, Mexico and S-America (sorry Brazil)

Generic Slavic for everything east of what used to be the iron curtain

German for.. err .. Germany (yup, I'm biased :D)

French for France, Belgium and any applicable country in Africa

Generic "African"-accent for any African countries not using French

Generic Asian for Japan, China, Korea

... which is less soundbanks than the game offers on vanilla anyway. And whether a voice actor speaks his/her lines in US-English or in an accent wouldn't have made a difference in time or $$s

That would leave out some countries of course (Greece, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc) but it would be a start.

E.

Edited by 1elvis