Activating second wave

PepprmintButler

Hello everyone,

So I've been playing around with the nice lead that atoric has given us here :

Here is a way how to mod this game.

Full copy of file "DefaultGameCore.ini" is stored inside executable file ...Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe and game uses it instead of one in folder ...\XComGame\Config\

You need to use resource editor over XComGame.exe in order to modify DefaultGameCore. You need to look inside RCData section for resource 1020, which uses language 1033.

As for test I modified this line:

BalanceMods_Normal=(eType=eChar_Soldier,			iDamage=0, iCritHit=0,iAim=0,iDefense=0,iHP=5, iMobility=0,iWill=0)

Now I have 11 HP for all my soldiers. So such modding approach works, though it is not easy.

I use freeware Resource Hacker for editing resources. First you need to save 1020 resource in plain txt file. Then modify it. Then replace using such parameters:

Type: RCData
Name: 1020
Language: 1033

And finally save file.

I hope it will satisfy your needs for a start.

It can be even simpler than that : you can perform searches and modify things directly in Resource Hacker if you are so inclined.

So with that, I went on a search for the Second Wave options (of which descriptions were found in the demo files; these are advanced options that can be activated after a first full playthrough, supposedly). Mostly because I did finish my first playthrough and found no sign of it in-game.

That search ended approximately 2 seconds later, as a search for "second wave" revealed a not so cryptic "ENABLE_SECOND_WAVE = 0" line !

I turn that 0 into a 1, and voila ! A wild Second Wave sub-menu appears in the new game menu ! :psyduck:

Although the menu itself is a bit buggy (click to check boxes does not work so it needs to be navigated with the keyboard; Second Wave button disappears if Advanced options is used) after a few tests, it turns out that these options are fully functional :D

I would upload a screenshot but I'm still a bit hazy about the rules concerning that matter on this forum (just joined to say this, and hopefully become part of the community for this game I already love dearly), so I'll refrain for the moment.

The available options are Damage Roulette, Red Fog, New Economy, Not Created Equally, Hidden Potential, Absolutely Critical, The Greater Good. I have confirmed they are working for all except Red Fog and The Greater Good.

Unfortunately, the others that were mentioned in the files found in the demo are not selectable on the screen. Most notable Marathon, which is the one I was looking forward to the most.

However, the code in the .ini/ in the .exe (same thing) also has this just under ENABLE_SECOND_WAVE :

SW_FLANK_CRIT=100
SW_COVER_INCREASE=1.5f
SW_SATELLITE_INCREASE=1.45f
SW_ELERIUM_HALFLIFE=24
SW_ELERIUM_LOSS=0.05f
SW_ABDUCTION_SITES=4
SW_RARE_PSI=8
SW_MARATHON=4.0f
SW_MORE_POWER=2.0f

Some of these options are clearly related to the missing options like Marathon, Blitz, Diminishing Returns, etc.

Problem is, I have no idea how to activate these or if it is even feasible.

Unfortunately my modding skills peak at doing a text search and changing a 0 into a 1... :confused:

Edit : here are some shots of the menus

http://i.imgur.com/o5FVe.jpg

Edited by PepprmintButler

Well done, great find. My game still hasn't unlocked, but I'm hoping we're going to find an efficient way of patching things soon so that folks who don't really want to fiddle with the resource editor to mod their XCOM.

What are all these options supposed to do?

Here is what was found in the demo :

Damage Roulette Weapons have a much wider range of damage.

Total Loss Lose all gear from soldiers who die in combat.

Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.

Hidden Potential Rookies will have random starting stats.

Results Driven As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.

New Economy A country will offer less funding as its panic increases.

War Weariness Overall funding levels drop inexorably with every month that passes.

High Stakes The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.

Diminishing Returns The cost of satellites increases with every one that is built.

E-115 Elerium stores will degrade over time.

The Blitz The aliens will target a larger number of cities every time they launch an abduction attack.

Absolutely Critical A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.

More Than Human The psionic gift is extremely rare.

The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.

Marathon The game takes considerably longer to complete.

Alternate Sources The power requirements of all facilities are increased.

As you can see only some of these are available in the menu. There are traces of the others, maybe they are not implemented yet. (although the options in the activated menu are functional, the whole thing seems quite "beta" for the moment. I suppose it's planned for release in a future patch.

has anybody tried this since the patch?

ive successfully modded the exe for other elements, but enabling second wave does not bring up the second wave options screen.

wondering if they changed something in the recent patch to stop this showing?