Help! My shorts are too shiny!

cramlow

Creating a normal map with specular map using GIMP

1. Make sure you have these plug-ins installed (install instructions are in the readme that is packed with the files):

GIMP normalmap plugin -- http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/

GIMP dds plugin -- http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Pick your version from the left oriented downloads options

2. Once you have those installed, start-up GIMP

3. Open up the image you wish to convert to a normal map. You should have the layer menu/toolbar open. If it is not open press ctrl+L

4. As a precaution, add a new layer. Use the paint bucket tool to fill that layer with the color with the rgb value of 128, 128, 255. To change the rgb value of the foreground color click the foreground color box in the left toolbar/menu. This should bring up a window. There are RGB values displayed. Change them as previously specified. Click Ok. Fill the layer with this color. MOVE THIS LAYER BELOW THE ORIGINAL LAYER present when the image was first opened.

5. Select the layer containing the image data to be converted. From the overhead menu select Filters>>map>>normalmap. This should bring up a window. We should be fine using the default settings for now. Click OK.

6. Right-click the layer you just converted and select merge visible layers. A window should open. "Expanded as necessary" should be selected. Press merge.

7. At this point it would be useful to save the image as a placeholder name. Don't overwrite the original. Saving it as the GIMP file format should do just fine.

8. From the overhead menu select Colors>>Components>>Decompose. This will bring up a window. The "Color model" should be set to RGBA. "Decompose to layers" should be checked. "Foreground as registration color" should NOT be selected. Click OK.

9. A new image will open with the layers red, green, blue, and alpha. Click the eye icon beside all layers except for alpha. Select the alpha layer.

10. In this case, we will be making the specular complete black. Change the foreground color to black. Use the paint bucket to fill the alpha layer with black.

11. Click the eye icon beside all layers except for alpha. From the overhead menu of the NEW IMAGE (the one that popped up when we decomposed the original image) select Colors>>Components>>Recompose. This will change your original image. You can now close the image that opened when we decomposed the original image. The original image will now appear to be completely clear and transparent. This is not actually the case and is due to how GIMP uses the alpha channel of the image. The normal map we created is still there, just not visible.

12. Export the image. From the overhead menu of the original image select File>>Export. Name the file and select from the drop-down menu like shown in the following image. The name should be the same as the diffuse except with a _n suffix added. http://imageshack.us/a/img801/2104/exportk.png

Click export.

13. A window should open. In this window, "Compression" should be set to BC3/DXT5. "Mipmaps" should be set to generate mipmaps. Click OK.

14. That's it. Your normal map should be done and ready to use.

Edited by ImsumDave

Just got up and saw this n map goodness. I'll review and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for taking the time to help and create this. I know you don't do this for any reward but I think there are too few of folks willing to lend their time and talents and they should be rewarded and encouraged to continue giving because it's a win for everyone and exudes happiness to the community.

OMG! I followed this to the letter and now I have a PERFECT looking pair of shorts! Thank you man!

I must say I'm glad you helped me because I would have NEVER EVER figured this out on my own with what little bread crumbs the Google has with bits and pieces on various sites. You've really gotten me to a place I couldn't have achieved without your help, thanks again.

Now I'm off to find that Paypal link....

BTW, any advice for creating a normal map for clothing which are semi transparent such as the astounding items created on this link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24444

Edited by cramlow

I'll look into it. I'll get back to you some time after 4:30pm est.

EDIT: One quick thing I can tell you is that the transparency of your jeans is controlled by the alpha channel of your diffuse(color/the one without the suffix) map.

Edited by ImsumDave

First, like I said, the transparency of your model is controlled by the alpha channel of the diffuse map. Transparency is enabled on a mesh by adding a NiAlphaProperty to the NiTriShape of the mesh. It may be a bit more complicated than that with Skyrim. I haven't touched since Oblivion. If all else fails, copy the NiAlphaProperty from a vanilla nif and paste it into yours. Either way you will have to link the property to the NiTriShape. To do this select the NiTriShape, in the list of options in the bottom window(block details) of Nifskope scroll down to the bottom. Click the arrow beside properties to expand the properties list. Double-click the bottom property where it says "none". You can now type a number. The NiAlphaProperty should be numbered, type it's number into the field and press enter.

When it comes to the transparency map, black means fully transparent and white means opaque. Any shade of gray in between is a level of transparency/opacity. The closer to black the shade is the more transparent the mesh will be. The closer to white the shade is the more opaque the mesh will be.

In order to keep things organized, create an image file specifically for the alpha transparency map. We will decompose the diffuse and add the transparency map later. Modify the image how you wish. If you wish to use the image info contained in an existing alpha channel, use the decompose command (with the RGBA color model) to decompose the image and save the new image that has the decomposed channels (all layers except alpha can be deleted).

Once your transparency map looks how you would like, open your diffuse map and transparency map. Decompose your diffuse map. Merge visible layers of your transparency map and copy the newly merged layer (ctrl+c). In the image that has the decomposed channels as layers, select the alpha layer. Paste(ctrl+v) the layer you copied earlier. A layer named "floating selection" will appear. Right-click the "floating selection" layer and click "anchor layer". This should have merged the "floating selection" layer and the alpha layer.

Instead of recomposing, as we did before, we will compose and make a new image. We will do this because in my testing I had issues recomposing. Anyway, in the overhead menu select Color>>Components>>Compose. A window will appear. In this window, select RBGA as the color model and click OK.

A new image has appeared, save this image as something. Next, export the image (File>>Export). Select DDS image (*.dds) from the drop-down menu and name the image yournamehere.dds.

That's it. Your diffuse with transparency map is done and ready to use.

First, like I said, the transparency of your model is controlled by the alpha channel of the diffuse map. Transparency is enabled on a mesh by adding a NiAlphaProperty to the NiTriShape of the mesh. It may be a bit more complicated than that with Skyrim. I haven't touched since Oblivion. If all else fails, copy the NiAlphaProperty from a vanilla nif and paste it into yours. Either way you will have to link the property to the NiTriShape. To do this select the NiTriShape, in the list of options in the bottom window(block details) of Nifskope scroll down to the bottom. Click the arrow beside properties to expand the properties list. Double-click the bottom property where it says "none". You can now type a number. The NiAlphaProperty should be numbered, type it's number into the field and press enter.

When it comes to the transparency map, black means fully transparent and white means opaque. Any shade of gray in between is a level of transparency/opacity. The closer to black the shade is the more transparent the mesh will be. The closer to white the shade is the more opaque the mesh will be.

In order to keep things organized, create an image file specifically for the alpha transparency map. We will decompose the diffuse and add the transparency map later. Modify the image how you wish. If you wish to use the image info contained in an existing alpha channel, use the decompose command (with the RGBA color model) to decompose the image and save the new image that has the decomposed channels (all layers except alpha can be deleted).

Once your transparency map looks how you would like, open your diffuse map and transparency map. Decompose your diffuse map. Merge visible layers of your transparency map and copy the newly merged layer (ctrl+c). In the image that has the decomposed channels as layers, select the alpha layer. Paste(ctrl+v) the layer you copied earlier. A layer named "floating selection" will appear. Right-click the "floating selection" layer and click "anchor layer". This should have merged the "floating selection" layer and the alpha layer.

Instead of recomposing, as we did before, we will compose and make a new image. We will do this because in my testing I had issues recomposing. Anyway, in the overhead menu select Color>>Components>>Compose. A window will appear. In this window, select RBGA as the color model and click OK.

A new image has appeared, save this image as something. Next, export the image (File>>Export). Select DDS image (*.dds) from the drop-down menu and name the image yournamehere.dds.

That's it. Your diffuse with transparency map is done and ready to use.

This is awesome stuff Dave and should be a sticky. I think when I get some time I will record a video and post it on youtube for anyone else that has had the same roadblocks as me since his is not easy intuitive stuff here. If you hadn't helped me out, I would NEVER have figured this out on my own. So thank you very much again.

Do you have any talents also with bringing objects with their textures from say, 3ds max into Skyrim? I saw a car someone brought in and that would be very entertaining to be able to do something like that, but the steps seemed poorly documented. Of course more donations would be in order for your teaching time.

I do use 3ds max, but I usually stick to making weapons. Making weapons does not involve any rigging for animation. I have no experience with rigging. Things like armor, clothing, creatures, and characters require rigging.

I can't remember exactly, but I think that the car mod used the horse as it's basis. It may not require any rigging because it did not have any moving parts. It seemed like a car model was just pasted on to the horse model.

As for textures with the object from 3ds max, I don't specifically what you mean. Do you mean baking a normal map from a high poly? If you are speaking of diffuse, specular, and/or reflection mask, I use photoshop to create all of these. I've toyed around with mudbox(sculpting and painting program) but I haven't really used it.