Skyrim Follower System Bug

jackoa19

Hello folks,

I've put several hundred hours in to Skyrim now and I've actually had an ongoing bug in-game in regards to the follower system. I've used no follower mods or mods that would change follow dialogue but my problem is this;

1) I talk to someone who has been my follower in the past (This is true of 3/5ths of the followers in Skyrim for me at the time of this post) at their spawning location for example I've talked to Agmaer one of the Dawnguard followers at Castle Dawnguard.

2) As supposed to being shown the "Follow me" dialogue options I am shown the same dialogue options that would be shown if he were following me such as "It's time to part ways", "I need you to do something", "Wait here". etc. I've tried using all of these and despite clicking "It's time for us to part ways" he will continue to wander castle Dawnguard and as always when I talk to him this is the menu that I am greeted with.

3) I've tried using "setplayerfollowercount to 0" and then checking that it's 0, I've tried looking up the problem but to no avail. I can't find anyone else who has this bug in-game. I've also tried re-installing the game but at level 72 I wouldn't like to start over. I did hear something about pex files but I haven't a clue what they are or if they're anything to do with how the game remembers what dialogue options an NPC will have once talked to.

If any of you are able to address this problem I would be over the moon. Please feel free to enquire further if there is anything else you need to know.

Changing the PlayerFollowerCount only changes the game's tally of followers, not the actual "status". You'll need to do at least a couple more things:

1. Click on the misbehaving follower in the console to get the follower's PRID (reference ID in-game).
  2. Once you have that, do a console "removefac 5c84e", without the quotes and hit enter. This removes the follower from the FACTION, and this setting is what, in part, determines the dialogue options you see when speaking with the follower.
  3. You'll also probably want to "Addfac 5c84c", which is the "Dismissed" follower faction.
  4. Finally, you'll need to do a "SetPlayerTeammate 0". This is what controls the follower drawing weapons, going into sneak, etc.

Note that the above relates to FOLLOWERS, not hirelings. For hirelings, follow the same process but also make sure you get the various hireling factions.

Finally, depending on whether you use a follower framework mod, you may actually need to use that instead to accomplish the above, otherwise, you're possibly going to screw up clearing of aliases in those mods, as your framework may still think you've got a follower when you don't.

THat is excellent advice...

Also sometimes the effect does not take place immediatly. In those case insure you have the NPC selected while in the console

type DISABLE <---- removes the NPC

then type ENABLE <---resets the NPC with the latest changes taking effect immediately.

• 2 months later...

Wow, I've been searching in my spare time for days to a solution to this problem. One of my followers - Vorstag - who is also my spouse just turned around and walked away from me. He went back to our home as if I'd dismissed him, which I hadn't, and when I tried to speak to him it acted as if he was still following me. So I tried the conversation option to dismiss him, I got the message that said my follower had left my service. But when I tried to ask him to follow me again - I still had the same conversation options as if he was following me. A very confusing and ambivalent state of affairs.

This solution actually worked for me - and I've tried lots suggested by others, all of which were ineffective. This was especially frustrating because it happened on my highest level character, who was almost finished with the game, with the exception of Dawnguard and a few miscellaneous quests. Thank you.

Just a note for anyone else with this issue, I didn't need to use the Ref ID - and besides, the post above didn't say where you'd type that in, lol. I just opened the console and clicked on Vorstag, and then typed in the 3 commands listed. Awesome!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Changing the PlayerFollowerCount only changes the game's tally of followers, not the actual "status". You'll need to do at least a couple more things:

• Click on the misbehaving follower in the console to get the follower's PRID (reference ID in-game).
  • Once you have that, do a console "removefac 5c84e", without the quotes and hit enter. This removes the follower from the FACTION, and this setting is what, in part, determines the dialogue options you see when speaking with the follower.
  • You'll also probably want to "Addfac 5c84c", which is the "Dismissed" follower faction.
  • Finally, you'll need to do a "SetPlayerTeammate 0". This is what controls the follower drawing weapons, going into sneak, etc.
Note that the above relates to FOLLOWERS, not hirelings. For hirelings, follow the same process but also make sure you get the various hireling factions.

Finally, depending on whether you use a follower framework mod, you may actually need to use that instead to accomplish the above, otherwise, you're possibly going to screw up clearing of aliases in those mods, as your framework may still think you've got a follower when you don't.

Thank you!