Why won't they talk to me?

AnkhAscendant

A million times I'm sorry for being stupid, but I can't seem to find anything (besides console commands) for turning existing NPCs into followers. It seems like it should be a matter of adding them to the potential followers faction and making sure their voice type has the dialogue. Regardless, neither Carlotta nor Ysolda will let me say "Follow me, I need your help". That should still show up even if they don't have the dialogue, shouldn't it? (I had the option to marry them already in this game, so it's not like they don't like me enough.)

Sorry I didn't explain, I know that they can't normally be followers. I was trying to make them followers with the CK (because they have to be your follower or housecarl to be your steward, and there was a request for those two as stewards). After adding them to the potential followers faction in the CK there still seems to be something missing.

A million times I'm sorry for being stupid, but I can't seem to find anything (besides console commands) for turning existing NPCs into followers. It seems like it should be a matter of adding them to the potential followers faction and making sure their voice type has the dialogue. Regardless, neither Carlotta nor Ysolda will let me say "Follow me, I need your help". That should still show up even if they don't have the dialogue, shouldn't it? (I had the option to marry them already in this game, so it's not like they don't like me enough.)

You have to add them to 2 Factions. Potential Follower Faction (as you mentioned) and Current Follower Faction. The Value next to Current Follower Faction needs to be changed from 0 (zero) to -1 then you'll get the dialouge option to make them a follower, as long as they have the voice files.

Thank you very very much.

edit: :wallbash: <-That probably speaks for itself. I don't know why it's still not working, but I'm not going to ask people to baby me, either. I'll keep chewing on my fingers and try to make it work.

Edited by AnkhAscendant

Thank you very very much.

edit: :wallbash: <-That probably speaks for itself. I don't know why it's still not working, but I'm not going to ask people to baby me, either. I'll keep chewing on my fingers and try to make it work.

Who are you trying to make a follower? Some NPCs apart from voice files not supporting the dialouge simply cannot be made into followers due to they have no animations like "Kill Moves" associated with them. If you want a follower to look like a certain NPC make a copy of them and edit the rest of thier characteristics making sure you set ActorBase to none.

ANother thing is have you made a "Relationship" between the Player and the Follower? If you haven't then the dialouge will never appear.

NOTE: All potential followers in the game MUST have a pre-setup Relationship with the player.

Edited by antstubell

Create your Hireling as an NPC

1. Create your NPC or copy existing one.

FACTIONS: (4) MUST EXIST

0 Potential Follower

0 Potential Hireling

-1 Current Follower

-1 Current Hireling

AIPACKAGES:

Not necessary to fill it.

If you somehow don't have dialogue yet, then do the following.

2. Open the Quest Dialogue

Browse mercenary player dialogues or dialogues of the NPC that you are familiar with.

1. TOPICS: Find a dialogue you like and copy each line. They will have star next to it.

2. Open copied dialogue. Change getisid to your actor or quest

usually 3 to change.

Edited by Ashenfire

Ysolda and Camilla have follower dialogue; they use voice types FemaleYoungEager and FemaleEvenToned respectively. I don't think that's the problem.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/setosgirl0/Other/1.jpg

This picture shows the DialogueFavor quest and exactly what's supposed to be showing up. In the background, however, the Ysolda window is opened to exactly the same quest under her dialogue, and there is nothing. (The one below is the Follower dialogue quest, and there's plenty there, so she does have the dialogue.)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/setosgirl0/Other/2.jpg

Ysolda's factions. She's in PotentialFollowers and CurrentFollowers at -1. (I was looking though and some people like Eola are not in the currentfollowers faction at any rank, so I'm not sure why it works for her if that's necessary, unless the associated quest adds them to the faction...)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/setosgirl0/Other/3.jpg

DialogueFavorsGeneric quest. Those conditions are met with Ysolda just fine. Also met by a lot of other people who don't have the dialogue, so I'm missing something about that too. This seems to be the problem. She has plenty of follower dialogue, but this quest apparently doesn't apply for some reason.

The voice type FemaleYoungEager is on the DefaultNPCVoices formlist and the VoicesFollowerswhatever formlist that's a condition for the response I had highlighted in the first picture. Also, since they're marriage candidates, they have to have some sort of relationship with the player already... which is another thing I can't seem to see anywhere.

The hell of it is that I don't even care. I don't like Ysolda or Carlotta and I don't want them as my own stewards, but I thought it would be relatively straightforward request to fill. I was pleased to figure out how to make someone a steward, then that warm glow was completely obliterated by the fact that this doesn't work...

Ysolda and Camilla have follower dialogue; they use voice types FemaleYoungEager and FemaleEvenToned respectively. I don't think that's the problem.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/setosgirl0/Other/1.jpg

This picture shows the DialogueFavor quest and exactly what's supposed to be showing up. In the background, however, the Ysolda window is opened to exactly the same quest under her dialogue, and there is nothing. (The one below is the Follower dialogue quest, and there's plenty there, so she does have the dialogue.)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/setosgirl0/Other/2.jpg

Ysolda's factions. She's in PotentialFollowers and CurrentFollowers at -1. (I was looking though and some people like Eola are not in the currentfollowers faction at any rank, so I'm not sure why it works for her if that's necessary, unless the associated quest adds them to the faction...)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/setosgirl0/Other/3.jpg

DialogueFavorsGeneric quest. Those conditions are met with Ysolda just fine. Also met by a lot of other people who don't have the dialogue, so I'm missing something about that too. This seems to be the problem. She has plenty of follower dialogue, but this quest apparently doesn't apply for some reason.

The voice type FemaleYoungEager is on the DefaultNPCVoices formlist and the VoicesFollowerswhatever formlist that's a condition for the response I had highlighted in the first picture. Also, since they're marriage candidates, they have to have some sort of relationship with the player already... which is another thing I can't seem to see anywhere.

The hell of it is that I don't even care. I don't like Ysolda or Carlotta and I don't want them as my own stewards, but I thought it would be relatively straightforward request to fill. I was pleased to figure out how to make someone a steward, then that warm glow was completely obliterated by the fact that this doesn't work...

It really is annoying when people don't try what I ask them to, what did I say "Player needs to have a relationship with the Follower". I made Ysolda a Follower in 5 minutes. Simply make a new Relationship from the RELATIONSHIP tree in the Object WIndow. I duplicated Ysolda, called her Ysolda02 and named her Ysolda's Twin Sister. Removed all Factions and added Potential Follower Faction 0 (zero) and Current Follower Faction -1. NOTHING ELSE at all. No voice change, no checking dialouge and I removed the 2 scripts she had which were simply scripts like Observe dead bodies. That's it 5 minutes, put her in the game and done.