SWFmovie

Zyxpsilon

Quick questions for those into "Graphics" editing and exploring...

1) Once the UModel utility prog (Thanks to Gildor for this, btw) has done its magic with extracting most compatible files (mostly Texture2d and Mesh - only!) from UPK... i noticed the UI could be using some SWF processing to deploy some if not all interface features & menus & what else.

But -- these SWFMovie(s) aren't exactly readable by any conventional Flash tools. Anyone knows how to open and/or inspect such files?

2) I figured the main interface (Title headers, text and Database framework, etc) Font is AF Carplates medium while Alpha and Lucida are used as well in other places. AF is a commercial product. Anybody can recommend a similar (but free!) TTF?

3) Since the shaders are most probably compressed into bins... someone found the *exact* RGB values for all (0 to 32) Uniform tints? I took a few snapshots and could approximate some of these although i'd prefer having authentic "official" sets.

4) Can someone give hell to Steam for restricting our snapshot format to extremely lossy JPG? :biggrin:

Thanks for any answers, more on a few other things later...

Okay... I'll bump this thread -- once.

Might as well add another weird question though;

http://s17.postimage.org/cjc5sr3v3/Hangar_Console_Screens.jpg

These pictures get displayed onto the consoles located in the adjacent Hangar room in the Ant-Farm... anyone knows where the Texture2d files are "assembled"?

I think I've found it but I'm not sure how good it will be to you because it has other images overlaid on top of it. Unless there's another version of it which is used, but I'd guess that they process the different colours separately. You'll see the image you're after, in red.

I can't remember what package it was in but the filename is HQ_DecalSheet_A.tga and the original is 6MB, 2048x2048.

http://i.imgur.com/SifFU.jpg

I'm not into the graphics side of things really, mainly just the coding, so sorry I can't help with your other questions :)

... You'll see the image you're after, in red.

I can't remember what package it was in but the filename is HQ_DecalSheet_A.tga and the original is 6MB, 2048x2048.

I had seen this file while "unpacking" some assets but didn't realize there might be extra layers to fiddle with. UModel extracted it as 1024x1024 though.

Oh well, let's search a little further in the huge amount of other files...

Thanks for the replies, people! :thumbsup:

Could actually split the RGB channels on that TGA (which i was able to unpack as 2048x2048, btw), and look what i found (hidden) in the RED layer...

http://s18.postimage.org/mv3mpehix/Red1.png

Yeah! So far, so good.

Edited by Zyxpsilon

I thought it might have been the case that they processed the colours seperatly. Realising tga doesn't support layers, I wasn't sure how exactly, but I didn't think to remove the green and blue channels. Seems obvious now though haha

Glad you got it sorted :)

But -- these SWFMovie(s) aren't exactly readable by any conventional Flash tools. Anyone knows how to open and/or inspect such files?

For the swfmovie files in xcomshell.upk (the ones I looked at):

- make a copy of the file.

- open the file in a hex editor.

- look for the string 'GFX' (in caps, just like that), delete everything before those letters.

- change GFX to FWS.

- rename the file to .swf

- run a SWF decompiler against the file.

Putting it back together again afterwards is a different story. (I think you'd need to recompile it, recombine it with the header and then change the upk header for the new filesize/location)

For the swfmovie files in xcomshell.upk (the ones I looked at):

- make a copy of the file.

- open the file in a hex editor.

- look for the string 'GFX' (in caps, just like that), delete everything before those letters.

- change GFX to FWS.

- rename the file to .swf

- run a SWF decompiler against the file.

Putting it back together again afterwards is a different story. (I think you'd need to recompile it, recombine it with the header and then change the upk header for the new filesize/location)

Many thanks, i'll certainly try your solution since i'm curious about these SWFmovie classes and whatever content they might reveal for later developments of modding assets.