BLOG PIECE: Nexus development and expansion philosophy

Dark0ne

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting read. I don't really know much about the family of Nexus sties though I have used the DA1, DA2 (which really should be its own site or separated somehow...), Witcher2, some Ovlivion, and now Skyrim Nexuses. Awesome family of websites, really.

It really sucks that the Witcher 2 Nexus didn't take off nearly as much as I thought it would when it released. It's an awesome game, sold very well (and was pirated even more from what I hear), and is pretty mod-friendly with developer support and all. Dunno what went wrong but it seems to have fallen by the wayside both here and elsewhere :(.

For anything from Bethesda, my first and last stop for mods has always been the Nexus. Recently I decided to finally support the site, after using the Nexus sites since Morrowind (to the chagrin of she-who-must-be-obeyed). I have to give big kudos to the staff (both paid and volunteer) here on the Nexus for keeping the site up to a quality standard.

Thanks for a little bit of information towards the inner workings of the site. It's good to get some insight once in a while to know that the entity taking our money is, in fact, human and not a corporate machine. :)

Great read, Dark0ne. Thanks for the insight into your process.

Let me take this opportunity to say I've been coming to you for mods since at least Oblivion, maybe Morrowind (can't recall), and have been a premium member since Fallout 3. I've been extremely satisfied to see the way your site has matured over the years. I wouldn't want to be a PC gamer without you.

As for your mistreatment by "Paradox" - screw 'em, I'm officially boycotting them now. It's not like they're an especially talented game developer, anyway. They get points for trying, as a few of their games are... okay... but honestly I believe YOU have done more for PC gaming over the years than they have.

So have a cookie yourself. ;)

Nice read, granted about the Bethesda thing I've used the nexus sites mainly for Bethesda games. Starting with little stuff in Morrowind, little in Oblivion but actually REALLY got into with FNV.

I wouldn't say the Nexus favors Bethesda games either, I'd just say Bethesda games are very mod-friendly and the Nexus is probably one of the best things that could've happened to their games considering how big the modding community is. (And I can't imagine that could be a bad thing since it means popularity for their games)

There's a good reason the nexus is the go-to modding site for FO and TES games. I wouldn't even play Skyrim if it wasn't for the some of the awesome mods, and FO would be way less entertaining/immersive without the work of people like Gopher or some of the quest modders or people who fix buckloads of problems or restore cut content.

Looking forward to what the modding community will bring to FO IV!

(if that Boston thing was for real or at least that Bethesda is looking around for studios to develop FO IV then it isn't even as far away as a lot of people initially thought)

Edited by JianXintou

• 2 months later...

Very nice comment/update i agree with all the good things people say its like we all share the same like and dislikes and everyone has a say and totally agree with the fact that like bethesda games have had a lot more nexus sites because of initial popularity and modability of them.

I can also imagine the modders not just creating new items for the games butalso helping to cultivate the original quests that the developer couldn't quite fix in time or cut content which us modders do have time to fix and truly cultivate the ever changing game world in the minds of which the gamer's/modder's think is the direction im not saying the direction of the game isoff course but as mod's come out the ui and game get's updated and changed to better fit the community.

All the modder's are very awesome people from the exceptional armor's of zerofrost and overhauls from various cool modder's to the fallout Nv community and adding/ Omg scripting cars and vertibirds it baffles the mind how cool you guys are and i believe that the nexus will carry on for a long time as long as the developer's feel like opening modding content like arma 2 has been able to do with people buying games such as Arma 2 fpr day z and various Bethesda games as once they have finished vanilla theirs multiple play throughs and just being a cicero and having fun with modded content they find appealing.

Thankyou nexus for being always there for us