Making animal follower cast magic?

Lazer382

Hey guys I've been working on a mod (Eevee the Magical Fox) which gives you a fox follower that can be transformed into different elemental forms. I'm getting close to implementing all the features I had planned (just got setting home location to work!), but there are still a couple things magic casting related I'm not quite sure how to do and they have been bugging me for some time now:

How do I get an animal npc to cast ranged magic spells? The best I've been able to do is modify the melee attack info to include a magic effect. This causes my fox to run up and use melee magic attacks (with effects and all) so it works, but I would like the fox to cast magic from a distance. Adding the spells in its inventory won't seem to help either. Do I need magic attachment points in the model or something? Change AI behavior somehow?

I would also like to have a healer form which avoids attacking and instead hangs back to cast heal spells on the player or other allies. I'll be happy even if it heals the player only but I'm still not sure how to set this up?

Thanks, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

So I tried looking into the chaurus a bit since it has a projectile spit attack similar to what I'm trying to do with the fox. My observations were that in the ChaurusRace class under what he can equip has spells checked off and can equip on both hands. The class also has a reference to the chaurusspit ability and a check off on magic aligns with projectile node. I also opened up the skeleton model and found a node named ProjectileNode located slightly in front of the chaurus which is clearly used as reference for where the spits originate.

So I opened the wolf skeleton (fox uses this) and gave it a new node named ProjectileNode. I also set my CompanionFoxFollower class to have the same settings I mentioned with the chaurus above. I go in game and get into an encounter, the fox just runs kinda up near the enemy and stands there looking like it wants to attack but it won't. What gives? Maybe there's a way I can debug this or something? Seems like it tries to attack but something is failing along the way...

Edited by Lazer382

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

just letting you know right now i know nothing of coding or programing. all i know of this is from reading and first hand experience.

the chaurus and spider spit attacks are actually shouts, not spells or powers. i read somewhere that the ability to shout is a perk that you must give to an npc in order to cast shouts. that's how this mod works. the npcs aren't using powers or lesser powers, of course. they're "shouting".

i'm not too sure if any of this will actually help, but i hope it does to any extent.

• 1 year later...

Don't know how to accomplish it but seems that the most lore friendly thing would be to have him bark (ie shout) some distance covering spells/shouts. Maybe even do it only on command. The other thing would be to make him very stealthy and avoid traps altogether, that seems very fox like to me.

• 1 month later...