Here Are UPK Modding Tools

BlackAlpha

Since no one has done it yet, here's a collection of modding tools you need to start working on UPK files. I think it might be useful to people who want to get into modding for XCOM. It can be a time consuming process to get everything you need for modding the UPK files, so I hope this will provide a jumpstart to get to it more quickly. There's instructions for almost everything. I also included a short tutorial.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tv4ow1414dvol6c

Extract it anywhere, then read the ReadMe.

I can't take credit for anything but the instruction files. All these tools are made by different people, most credit should go to them.

Here's a list of tools included:

Notepad++ Text Editor to more easily manipulate/see text data.

UPK Decompressor to uncompress UPK files.

UPK Extractor to unpack UPK Files.

UE Explorer to look through the uncompressed UPK files.

HxD HEX Editor to search for HEX values and edit the UPK files.

XSHAPE to hack the EXE and make it run uncompressed UPK files.

WinMerge to compare text files.

Edited by BlackAlpha
  • Like 1

Since no one has done it yet, here's a collection of modding tools you need to start working on UPK files.

I haven't downloaded these as I already had 'em, but it appears you're using exactly the same tools I do... which means anyone should also be able to use my batch files HERE to automate the use of these tools.

It saves me tons of time when wanting to try out upk mods, so I hope that's helpful until we get a "proper" upk modding/patching tool.

That batch file is very useful, probably that should be the way to distribute mods easily. Will wait for the people working on the mod manager, but some sort of GUI that underneath runs a similar bat would work very well, you will just need to provide the modded function files that should not be too risky.

At the moment, are people just editing the .upk file, saving it then running XSHAPE or do you prefer to modify the unpacked function files, then repack?

I tend not to use the unpack/repack method myself, but I'm curious to know how others work with their mods.

Editing the unpacked files is the only sane way I was able to make the XCOM Mod Manager work in principle.

Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't bother unpacking at all.

Yeah, I was talking about the "old way". Especially with the new mod manager, I guess it's less confusing and more orderly to just edit the unpacked files. It takes a while to unpack/repack the files but it's easier to keep track of modified content.

Edited by BlackAlpha

I still wouldn't bother actually repacking.

Just keep your unpacked files unmolested. Edit a copy of the file and use it to make a .xcom_mod file.

A GUI would streamline all of this, of course. Maybe the existing GUI that dose created works for everyone else but me (hint: need testers). :/

Edited by Daemonjax