Custom armor unaffected by Weight Slider, rest of body is.

Hionimi

Hello, tried to make a uniquely shaped piece of armor for character so other NPCs in the game don't share the same shape when wearing the same outfit, sadly though when testing the showracemenu weight slider, the armor remained stuck in Big-size while the rest of the body shrunk properly.

I do have a _0 and _1 file, and in the creation kit at ArmorAddon I selected the _1 model in the Biped Model section of the item. It works in-game as the shape differs from others, it just doesn't want to resize.

Is anyone perhaps willing to help?

They should be, I didn't create them, I generated them with the BodySlide tool that comes with CBBE v3. And when they are used to replace an existing clothing piece, 0 is indeed small and 1 is big. I simply copied these files, renamed them and created a new armor/clothing item in the Creation Kit.

Edit: Also checked in NifSkope, but they are indeed different and correct.

Edited by Hionimi

Found some more info, though it does not solve my problem. It may however give some more insight for those who know how it works:

If the weight slider won't evenly blend between the two. Or you experience more clipping the heavier your character becomes, but at 100% weight there is no clipping, it's because you moved an object while in object mode when you made the _1 amour. (See what you can and cannot do above).

'Above' reading:

You should not move objects in object mode. (If you need to move an object, just select and move all of the vertices in edit mode). This is because when Skyrim merges the armors it only looks at the vertices' local position (based on the object's center), instead of looking at the global position (based on the armor's center). If you move an object while working on the _1 model, the weight slider won't evenly blend between the two.

Now I just made my two different models, the skinny _0 and fat _1 using Caliente's BodySlide, copied and renamed them, nothing more... Could it be that it somehow still counted? Because when I use these same models as a replacer, the weight slider suddenly works as it should in-game.

• 4 months later...

You know, I've been having the same problem. I've been experimenting with the CK and moving vanilla armours around, and here's what I finally discovered: if the custom armour mesh you are using shares the same file name as another armour mesh already loaded into your game, the game gets confused, and your armour no longer responds to the weight slider. OR, if the armour shares a location of a vanilla armour but uses a unique name, it may stop responding to the weight slider.

So, make a unique location, make a unique name, and point your armour addon to that mesh in the CK.

Hope that helps. It appears, for now, to have solved my problem.

OK, now I think I may have a real answer.

The creation kit hates it when you move things around that it is referring to. So, if you have your armour addon pointing to some mesh, you move it through a window, then point the addon to the mesh in the new location, it doesn't seem to work.

So, what I suggest: make your addons point to something random. Doesn't matter what, as long as it's not your mesh. Close the CK. Move, rename, do whatever it is you need to do to set up your custom mesh. Reopen the CK. Point the addon to the mesh's location. Don't change it again with the CK open!

That's my guess. I've tested this and, unlike my previous strategy, it actually works repeatedly. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and ice the bruises on my head from bashing it against the wall in frustration.