[Opinion] Skyrim Redone or ACE - Combat Skills

Earitory

I started to hate SkyRe because it thinks it needs to throw out and remake all of the magic trees while f***ing up keywords, adding perks that only work well with its own spells and generally being annoyingly incompatible with any spell mod that isn't itself, like for instance mine.

If you're going to make a balance/mechanics mod then you should not be providing too much new content, especially new content that has MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY written all over it.

Edited by EnaiSiaion

I started to hate SkyRe because it thinks it needs to throw out and remake all of the magic trees while f***ing up keywords, adding perks that only work well with its own spells and generally being annoyingly incompatible with any spell mod that isn't itself, like for instance mine.

If you're going to make a balance/mechanics mod then you should not be providing too much new content, especially new content that has MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY written all over it.

What? :D

SkyRe maker actually recommends using your mod and of course some perks don't work like the one that let's you equip your minion, it would be impossible to code that it works on every spell mod. If you want it to work, make a compatibility patch clear and simple. ;)

Personally I can't imagine going back to vanilla after using SkyRe for a few months. It just adds so much depth to everything, across the board. Many of the perk lines were useless in the vanilla game, or insanely good. Who actually put perks into speech or lockpicking? Maybe once your character was done in all the other trees you cared about and you had some spare points you'd toss a few there. Or the alteration tree, 5 perks for 30% magic resistance? Thats nuts.

And most of the armor and weapon issues can be fixed by using the reproccer automatic patcher.

I haven't used ACE yet, though. So for all I know it could be better than SkyRe.

I've been using ACE since I found it months and months ago.

It has not been updated since, and it still works! Works just fine with other mods, as said already above. I really enjoy that I don't need to use a reprocor to patch my mods with ACE it fits, nicely with mods that are balanced with the Vanilla game. Yet dont mistake ACE for being light on changes.

The changes it makes are actually pretty huge.

Heavy armor does exactly what it should, protects you from damage. Heavy armor wearers are just tanks, and lightning rods yes wearing a ton of armor vs magic is really bad.

Light armor is for the nimble and keeps you from getting oneshotted.

Cloth is well for mages and those with a death wish, expect to get one shotted by pretty much everything

Archery is pretty powerful with ACE

-There are compatibility patches but they are not needed!

-Bows from mods that are not patched function as ACE Long Bows!

-Crossbows have not been implemented into the perk tree oh well there's only 2 really and Beth didn't put them in either.

-trouble here is ACE archery is strong

-Putting Duel-Deadly Combat on this makes it 1 shot kills...problematic with ASIS

Enchanting and Smithing

-Redone in rather nice ways, still usable not overpowered and give nice synergy bonuses

-Synergy bonuses, hey a Smith that knows how to use a 2 hander is better than a guy that just swings a sword!

-smiths that make armor get nifty bonuses for wearing their armor and know the weakness of those armors too.

-Enchanters actually get some magic resistance

Most of the spell trees are redone similairly

-Don't play as a spell caster much

-Personel opinion with ACE spells are actually deadly

-Before ACE I always felt I was wasting time.

BYOG

Bring your own game

Allows you to make a bunch of on the fly changes to your game.

-all skill values

-leveling progression

-Damage and armor values

-Attributs and regen

-Make changes to the vendor values and immersion...Making all vendor overhauls pretty much absolete.

-Change player speed

-change the way skills work or how good you are at them on the fly.

It basically drops the rebalancing tool into the players lap

Works great with ASIS and is highly recommended by both authors!

ASIS throws even more changes quite numerous

Yet with those mods I can pretty much play an interesting play as any archtype character

More compatible with other mods

• 5 months later...

I used to love SkyRe but I'm thinking of switching over to another overhaul.

The latest versions of SkyRe suffer from the 'quantity over quality' problem imo. Too many useless perks and too many useless weapons. I'm talking about the glaives, yaris, halberds, longmaces, shortspears, tantos, wakizashis, katanas, shortswords, battlestaffs, mauls, clubs, hatchets etc. Did I get them all? Probably not. Who even needs those? In about 3 playthroughs with SkyRe I've never used any of his new weapon additions or their related perks. In addition to being unnecessary clutter some of the weapons like the spears don't have proper new animations. They are just wielded like the default two handed weapons. It looks so bad. There are many perks I love but also many that I consider absolutely useless. Some perk trees I never invested in at all.

And even with the Reproccer there are many mods that are incompatible. SkyRe even has an Unofficial Patch now because t3nd0 won't fix any more bugs. And there are a lot. Just looking at the latest page of the SkyRe forum over half the people are reporting bugs (of course a lot of this because is because of mod conflicts but still). I'm going to check out ACE and SPERG and see if I like those better.

Edited by thenobody0

Thanks to SkyRe's inclusion of the survival perks for Frostfall, I have to say it is the hands down winner. ^_^ It also fixes the perk system, in vanilla skyrim, perks are a kick in the teeth, you have to get a dozen ones you don't need for a totally broken over powered one, and then you totally ignore about 80% of them because they are totally useless... And then it adds a ton of variety, and works so well with Immersive Weapons, Immersive Armors, and Immersive Creatures.

It also works well with ASIS + a lot of magic mods, it makes Skyrim feel like a more magic place. I one for don't care much for boring melee combat, and usually only resort to it when a fast angry orc runs up on me to quick to stop.

• 6 months later...