WIP - Thunderbolt Shout Package

EnaiSiaion

Shout of the Day:

Phantom Decoy

FIIK - LO - SAH

Mirror - Deceive - Phantom

This is based on the shout the Greybeards use, with a twist. Speaking the first word causes an immobile ghostly decoy to appear. It isn't very good at attracting attention, but has a cooldown of only 5 seconds, which means after 5 seconds you can shout the second word and the decoy says boom:

http://i46.tinypic.com/206zz1e.png

This does 120 magic damage at point blank range, 60 damage farther away. Three words again summon a decoy, just like the Greybeards when they use the full shout. The difference is that this one has a 10 second cooldown, and fun events happen when you blow it up.

Shout list

•  
  • Arcane Helix
  • Curse
  • Earthquake
  • Essence Rip
  • Jone's Shadow
  • Lightning Shield
  • Living Shadow
  • Phantom Decoy
  • Pride Call
  • Riftwalk
  • Shroud of Snowfall
  • Speak Unto The Dead
  • Stormblast
  • Trueshot
  • Wail of the Banshee
  • Wanderlust
  • Warcry

Most of these do not do what you think they do.

Acquiring shouts

To acquire a shout, you need to know the two existing shouts that make up the words of the shout, and have sunk enough dragon souls in them to max them out. Next, go to High Hrotgar and spend a fortune on snitch the "Thu'um Documented" volumes at a new vendor (by making the vendor a Greybeard I have an excuse not to provide voice acting!). There is one book per shout. Read it and you get the new shout all unlocked and ready.

The exception is Phantom Decoy, which itself provides the words for two other shouts, and is learned through some other method that is so mystical as to be undecided as of now.

Dead thread is dead.

Items of the day

Amulet of Deep Breath

33% chance that your Fire Breath or Frost Breath have a 10 second cooldown.

Amulet of Invigorating Shouts

Regenerates 150 health and 100 stamina over 10 seconds after shouting.

Amulet of Devastating Force

Adds knockup to your Unrelenting Force.

Greybeard Robes

-15% shout cooldown, +25% shout potency, available in several fashionable colours.

Amulet of Nirn's Wonders

Grants a free Dragon Soul for every 1,000,000 units walked.

To acquire a shout, you need to know the two existing shouts that make up the words of the shout, and have sunk enough dragon souls in them to max them out.

Seems like quite a grind. Not only I need to clear a lot draugr dungeons, but also kill a lot of dragons. Both of which aren't very interesting tasks (moreover, they are boring as f***).

Making some sort of map, which shows locations of every word would be greatly appreciated or else you indirectly force people to use uesp.net for this.

Any ETA for Thunderbolt? Sounds amazing thus far.

Ideally next week if all goes well. The shouts are implemented (there might be a wee bit of feature creep because I might add a Shor's Wrath shout).

To acquire a shout, you need to know the two existing shouts that make up the words of the shout, and have sunk enough dragon souls in them to max them out.

Seems like quite a grind. Not only I need to clear a lot draugr dungeons, but also kill a lot of dragons. Both of which aren't very interesting tasks (moreover, they are boring as f***).

Making some sort of map, which shows locations of every word would be greatly appreciated or else you indirectly force people to use uesp.net for this.

Souls: There will be items to speed up dragon soul acquisition. Fighting dragons can be fun (with Deadly Dragons) but getting them to appear is something else unfortunately. They only appear when you're trying to do something that does not involve dragons. Anyway, I'm currently implementing a consumable that gives you 2 souls instead of 1 when you kill a dragon, and there's the amulet that gives you a dragon soul just for walking far enough.

Words: I'm on the fence as to whether I should change the learning procedure to require just the actual words in the shout instead of every word in both shouts, meaning you could 1/3 one of the two component shouts and only need to max the other, cutting down the amount of word walls you need by 16-33%. However, it wouldn't actually solve the core problem which is that collecting walls is very grindy to begin with, Thunderbolt or not, if you don't know where you can find a specific word wall. After all, maxing two shouts isn't a huge leap from maxing one shout and this already requires you to comb every corner of Skyrim for the three exact walls you need. Also, this setup might discourage players from investing souls into a shout until they have the right words to unlock a Thunderbolt shout.

There is tech in the game to allow word walls to substitute for each other, so you just need "a" wall, not a specific wall. This could be used to prioritise higher leveled shouts, making it easier to max shouts you have already invested in. It would require some serious changes to existing data though, leading to compatibility issues.

Perhaps what we need is an ingame encyclopedia so people know where to get which shout. I will do either this, or if I have enough time I could go for a quest driven solution where you read a book about a shout and it gives you a quest pointing you towards the three word walls. Perhaps it might lead to WoW style follow-the-arrow gameplay though, but considering the awesome power of vanilla shouts ("makes animals not attack you until you attack them") giving them out more freely won't break the game. In fact it may be needed anyway to make Tongue builds viable because if you don't get either Fire Breath or Frost Breath very early on you're boned.

/end rambling

How will this, especially the shouting modification gear interact with shouts modified by one of the few shouting mods out there ?

No conflicts. They don't actually improve your shouts, they just autocast spells with the same AoE as your shouts that convey the bonus effects. You're not supposed to know this though. :tongue:

*Annoyingly Slow Time, Animal Allegiance and Clear Skies are not correctly tagged as shouts... :wallbash:

Edited by EnaiSiaion

I love the way how you are going to implement these.

Especially that you NEED to crawl through couple of dungeons to get these shouts.

vanilla shouts were boring in the manner of how you get them, you just walk to dungeon, kill stuff, go away.

Now you need to crawl in more dungeons to get the epic spells! ;D

Can't wait to get these.

Just perfect for my mage.

It turns out there is no good way to implement a quest to seek for arbitrary word walls. There is a radiant quest at High Hrotgar to locate dungeon walls, but only those walls and not the ones in dragon nests etc. Well, unless I go and grub all the wall cells and throw down new references all over the place like someone who doesn't know what mod conflicts are. Grrrr blah sputter.

And of course Dawnguard put a bug into that quest (roll Arcwind Point and your radiant quest is stuck that way for the rest of your character's life like your face when the clock strikes twelve). I'll implement a workaround *sigh*.

And I'll just go for the low tech approach of planting notes with route descriptions. One evening wasted. Awesome.

:mad:

Learning shouts has been changed: you only need to know the three words that go into each shout, not the entirety of both component shouts, and you also don't need to spend dragon souls into the component shouts; but you do need to spend dragon souls into the new shout.

Shoutcrafting (experimental, may or may not work)

You can pick up a Tome of Shoutcrafting, which teaches you a "blank" shout with three words but no effects and a 30/40/50 second cooldown. After reading the Tome, you can cast 3 spells to apply their effects to the three words of the shout. This is a repeatable process. Also works with scrolls for the less wizardly inclined.

The point is to apply spells that are expensive, hard to cast or simply to delegate s number of utility spells to the shout button.