232 replies to this topic

BlackAlpha

BlackAlpha

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Technical support for Warspace version 1.50 and newer

Please read this topic if you have technical issues with the Warspace Extension mod. I have listed a number of solutions to common technical problems that people may experience with this mod. If you continue to have problems after trying out all these solutions, then post your problem inside this topic and I will do my best to help you. Try to give as much relevant information as possible.

IMPORTANT: Note that for readability you should view this topic on the actual forum. If you are watching this from the modpage, click on the button "View Forum Thread" at the top right of these posts. Or go to the following link in your browser:
http://forums.nexusm...l-support-v150/

INSTRUCTIONS: Please keep in mind that if you follow any of the instructions inside this FAQ, you should follow ALL steps. Do not skip something because you think it's not necessary. If you do not follow all steps, then you might not solve your problem.

MODDING: For modding related questions, go here:
http://forums.nexusm...ion-discussion/

1. Help! I'm very sure I installed the mod correctly, but ingame it seems only part of the mod is active! Sectoids have 3 HP, my grenades do only 3 damage and the game plays a lot like the original game! What's going on?

Answer:
This happens when you don't start the game correctly. When the game can access the internet, it will silently download a patch and update itself. This patch will overwrite the changes of this mod. That is why you must start Steam in offline mode each time you want to play a mod. To avoid this problem in the future, you should follow the startup instructions described inside the ReadMe (see the mod archive or game folder for the Warspace ReadMe).

To fix the problem, you now must install the mod again and afterwards start the game while Steam is in offline mode:

1. Install the mod again (uninstall is not necessary). If you do not install it again, then parts of the mod will not work. So do not skip this step.

2. Start Steam.

3. Open the Steam window and click in the top left on: "Steam" > "Go offline" > "Restart in offline mode".

4. Wait until Steam is restarted in offline mode.

5. Start the game through Steam.

6. Have fun!

Ingame you need to check the following four things to see if the mod is working correctly:
- Go to the main menu, go to the difficulty level select screen. Instead of "Easy" and "Normal", you should see "Unsupported".
- Throw a grenade at an enemy or your own troops. It should do 4 points of damage.
- Inside your base, build an item like a medkit or a weapon. It should take a few days to be build.
- Go to your base, click on "Barracks". There it should now say "View Operatives", instead of "View Soldiers".

2. So I need to start Steam in offline mode each time I want to play a mod? That's very annoying! Is there a workaround?

Answer:
Yes, there's a workaround that allows you to keep Steam in online mode while playing mods. But note that some users have experienced difficulties trying to configure the workaround correctly. The following workaround involves editing the hosts file to block the game from patching itself.

'bman654', on 25 Oct 2012 - 15:53, said:

• Start > type in: "notepad" (do not press ENTER key)
  • Right-click on Notepad program > Run as Administrator
  • File > Open > %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • Add these 3 lines at the bottom of the file:
    # Prevent XCOM Phone Home
    127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
    127.0.0.1 65.118.245.165
  • Save the file.
    No need to reboot.

Ingame you need to check the following four things to see if the mod is working correctly:

- Go to the main menu, go to the difficulty level select screen. Instead of "Easy" and "Normal", you should see "Unsupported".
- Throw a grenade at an enemy or your own troops. It should do 4 points of damage.
- Inside your base, build an item like a medkit or a weapon. It should take a few days to be build.
- Go to your base, click on "Barracks". There it should now say "View Operatives", instead of "View Soldiers".

3. I installed the mod but when I start the game, Steam says something about "Completing Installation". When I load up a mission, it seems the mod isn't activated properly and/or my game is crashing!

Answer:
Steam thinks your game is corrupt and wants to repair the game. You need to let it finish by doing the following:

(Note: These instructions are also for people who simply want to restore/repair their game for whatever reason.)

- Uninstall Warspace if you have it installed. Go to your installed software list in Windows and uninstall it from there.

- Go to the root game folder. if it exists, remove the folder called "Warspace Files".

- If you've installed any other mods, you need to remove all modded files. If you aren't sure if a file is from a mod or an original, you can go ahead and delete it anyway, it won't hurt.

- Go to (Game Folder) \ Binaries \ Win32

- Delete all EXE files inside that folder, ALL EXE FILES! If you do not do this, your game might become corrupt when you install ANY mod after repairing the game.

- Go to (My Documents) \ My Games \ XCOM - Enemy Unknown \ XComGame \ Localization \ INT (or ESN or FRA, depending on which language you currently have enabled.)

- Delete all files inside that folder.

- If you've applied the workaround described at number 2 of this FAQ, then you will need to undo that workaround before proceeding. If you do not undo it, the game might not be able to repair/patch itself successfully.

- Start Steam in online mode.

- Open the Steam window and go to your Library (the list containing all your games).

- Right click on XCOM and go to Properties. A new window will open.

- Go to the tab called "Local Files".

- Click on "Verify integrity of game cache..."

- Steam will now begin "Validating" to try to repair the game.

- After it is done with Validating, you need to try to start the game. It might then begin to download some new files. If so, you will need to wait until it's finished.

- Start the original game and quit the game once you are in the main menu. This step is crucial. It's how Steam performs the final installation changes.

- Restart Steam and start the game again. If you do not get the "Completing Installation" message, then the game is repaired successfully.

- You can then try to mod the game. You may install this mod by following the installation instructions from the ReadMe.

4. I followed the previous step multiple times and I can run the original game just fine, but as soon as I install the mod I get the "Completing Installation" error again. Then the mod doesn't load properly or the game crashes!

Answer:
Something got corrupt and Steam is unable to fix it. So you'll need to fix it manually, do the following:

- Uninstall Warspace if you have it installed. Go to your installed software list in Windows and uninstall it from there.

- Go to the following link and follow those steps:
https://support.stea...=7241-EYON-2343

- Restart Steam.

- Go to the main game folder. Delete everything except the folder called "XComGame".

- Go to: (Game folder) \ XComGame. Delete everything except the folders called "CookedPCConsole", "DLC" and "Movies".

- Download the latest version of Java and .NET. If you think your versions are up-to-date, download and install the latest versions anyway! You can download them from the following two links:

For java, please make sure you install the correct bit version. If your Windows is 64bit, then you need to install the 64bit Java:
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

.NET:
http://www.microsoft.com/net

- Go to number 3 of this FAQ and follow those steps again.

5. When I run the Warspace installer I get an error message!

Answer:

- Download the latest version of Java and .NET. You can download them from the following two links:

For java, please make sure you install the correct bit version. If your Windows is 64bit, then you need to install the 64bit Java:

.NET:

Install the mod again after you've installed the latest versions of Java and .NET.

- During the setup, make sure that you've pointed the installer to your root game folder.
Example: C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ XCOM - Enemy Unknown
When you manually select the path, please double check it has actually inserted the correct path inside the field.

- During the setup, you must select whether you have DLC installed or not.

- Finally, keep in mind that if Warspace version 1.73 or newer is not installed, then you must first restore your game to the original before installing the mod. You can restore your game to the original by going to number 3 of this FAQ and following those instructions.

6. When I start the game, it crashes and the game does not launch!

Answer:
Make sure you start Steam in offline mode, and then start the game through Steam. Do not try to start the game from the EXE file, that doesn't work. You must start the game through Steam.

7. I am trying to start the game by running it through Steam but it still crashes!

Answer:
Please note that pirated copies are not compatible with this mod. Pirated copies use different game files, so they crash when this mod is installed on a pirated copy.

8. I'm not lying, I have a legit copy but the game crashes after I install the mod!

Answer:

- Download the latest version of Java and .NET. You can download them from the following two links:

.NET:

Install the mod again after you've installed the latest versions of Java and .NET.

If it doesn't solve the problem, follow the steps at number 3 of this FAQ.

If the above didn't solve your issue, then post your problem inside this topic and I'll do my best to help out. Make sure you state the following:

- Did you receive an error message at some point? If so, post the ENTIRE error message and explain at which point you received the message.

- Did you install this mod onto a working original game or onto a modded game? If the latter, which mod?

9. I installed the mod correctly and everything seems to be working, except there's some problem with the text descriptions. It seems the original descriptions show up instead of the modded ones. What's wrong?

Answer:
If you have the English, French or Spanish ingame language enabled:
This happens when the game can access the internet. It will then silently download and install a patch that will overwrite the changes of this mod. To fix it, you need to go to number 1 of this FAQ and follow those steps.

If you have a different language enabled:
The mod currently only supports the English, French and Spanish languages. You can switch the ingame language by following the instructions at number 14 of this FAQ.

If you want to help make this mod compatible with the officially supported languages, then please PM me.

10. I installed the mod correctly but the Second Wave option doesn't show up in the main menu when I try to start a new campaign! Did I do something wrong?

Answer:
Let me start off by saying it is NOT recommended to play with Second Wave enabled. Second Wave can make the gameplay unbalanced and affect your experience in a negative way.

Second Wave is working with this mod, but you still need to unlock it by completing the game on the Normal difficulty level or higher. The higher the difficulty level you complete the campaign at, the more Second Wave options you unlock. If you complete the campaign on Impossible, you unlock all Second Wave options.

Alternatively, you can download a profile which has completed the campaign on Impossible already. You can get such a profile from the Second Wave mod, here:
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/7

Do not install the Second Wave mod, only install the new profile.bin file.

11. I'm playing the tutorial but I got stuck and can't proceed for whatever reason!

Answer:
The tutorial isn't supported. The tutorial wasn't made with mods in mind, so it breaks very easily when you play a modded game. You'll need to restart the campaign with the tutorial disabled.

12. I uninstalled the mod, but now the ingame text descriptions are not restored to the originals.

Answer:
To fix it, you'll need to let Firaxis' silent patcher update the game, which will overwrite the necessary files and then the problem will be solved. To make that happen, do the following:

- If the mod is installed, uninstall Warspace using the uninstaller (see the ReadMe for uninstall instructions).

- If you have applied the workaround described at number 2 of this FAQ, then you'll need to undo it before proceeding.

- Go to "(My Documents) \ My Games \ XCOM - Enemy Unknown \ XComGame \ Localization

- Delete the folder for your currently enabled ingame language. If you have English enabled ingame, then delete the folder called "INT". If you have French enabled ingame, delete the folder called "FRA". If you have Spanish enabled ingame, delete the folder called "ESN". Etc.

- Start the game and quit the game when you are in the main menu.

- Start the game again and the ingame text descriptions should now be restored to the originals.

Alternatively, you can follow the instructions at number 3 of this FAQ to restore the game to the original.

13. I uninstalled the mod but now my game doesn't work properly or it's crashing! How do I restore my game to the original state?

Answer:

- Go to number 3 of this FAQ and follow those steps to repair your game.

14. I'd like to enable an ingame language that is compatible with this mod. What must I do to make that happen without breaking the mod/game?

Answer:

When you change the ingame language, Steam will download new files. So consider it to be like an official game patch. This means you should uninstall Warspace before you change the language or there will be problems.

If you've changed the language while the mod was still installed, then you should follow the the instructions at number 3 of this FAQ.

Here's how to change the ingame language:

- If you have it enabled, undo the workaround that blocks the game from accessing the internet (the one described at number 2 of this FAQ).

- Go to your Library (the list containing all your games).

- Right click on XCOM and go to Properties. A new window will open.

- Go to the tab Languages. There you can select your desired language.

- Start the game and quit the game when you are in the main menu.

- Start the game for a second time and quit when you are in the main menu.

- All new official language files should now be installed. You may now install mods.

15. I had the mod working just fine, but ever since a game patch has been installed, the game crashes!

Answer:

You should only install game patches onto an original unmodded game. Otherwise, your game might become corrupt. So if you can, you should uninstall mods before Steam updates your game.

To solve the crashing issue after the game has been updated by Steam, you need to follow the steps at number 3 of this FAQ.

Also, whenever a game patch is released, there's a high chance this mod's files will not be compatible until a new mod version is released. So you most likely want to wait until a new mod version comes out that is compatible with the new game patch.

16. I can't open the Gameplay Guide! Windows gives me a weird error message, something about choosing a program. What's going on?

Answer:

The gameplay guide is a PDF file. You need a PDF viewer program to open it. For example, you can use a free program called Adobe Reader.

1. Install Adobe Reader from the following link:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

2. Open the mod archive or go to the XCOM game folder. There you will find the Gameplay Guide.

3. Open the Gameplay Guide and it should now open properly using Adobe Reader.

Edited by BlackAlpha, 22 August 2013 - 10:34 AM.

daeger

daeger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Solution #4 worked for my problem.

BlackAlpha

BlackAlpha

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Solution #4 worked for my problem.

Good to hear!

To clarify for other people, he reported the problem as stated at number 4 in the FAQ. Steam kept trying to repair the game each time he installed the mod.

samwolf

samwolf

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hi BlackAlpha,

First, I installed 1.50 and it worked without a hitch. Great job!

Thanks for making the source filesa available, I'm going to try and "include" the Reaction Fire Mod in yours.

Regards,
Samwolf

Edited by samwolf, 17 November 2012 - 12:56 PM.

gobbo1008

gobbo1008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Seems like I need help. Even though I rebuilt my ClientRegistry.blob mutliple times (answer 4) and validated the game cache files about a dozen times, the game will try to "finish installation" every time I start it for the first time after modding (yes, I did exactly what answer 3 said; I started the game after verifying, restarted Steam, started the game again, then installed the mod), and after that it will just crash.

Any ideas?

And if it helps:
Issue started appearing after the last XCOM patch on the 8th, just before mod version 1.42.
Haven't been able to play XCOM since, and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. *twitch* ;)

excelion27

excelion27

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 25 posts

Seems like I need help. Even though I rebuilt my ClientRegistry.blob mutliple times (answer 4) and validated the game cache files about a dozen times, the game will try to "finish installation" every time I start it for the first time after modding (yes, I did exactly what answer 3 said; I started the game after verifying, restarted Steam, started the game again, then installed the mod), and after that it will just crash.

Any ideas?

And if it helps:
Issue started appearing after the last XCOM patch on the 8th, just before mod version 1.42.
Haven't been able to play XCOM since, and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. *twitch* ;)

I was having the exact same problems as you, doing the same attempted fixes, but I think I managed to figure it out.

My steps:

1.) Do the steam blob file thingies
2.) Delete everything out of your XCOM folder EXCEPT for the "XComGame" sub folder. In that folder, delete everything except the "CookedPCConsole", "DLC", and "Movies" sub folder. (What I wanted to do was delete everything that I could that would not require a 12+ GB validate, with what you delete, you should only need to reacquire about 100-300 MB)
3.) With Steam in online mode, do the game cache integrity thing, may take awhile, but the download should be relatively quick once it is done.
4.) Start the game at least once (I did it twice because I am paranoid)
5.) Install Warspace using the installer
6.) Put steam in offline mode
7.) start XCOM

This is what worked for me. If this doesn't, you may just want to bite the bullet and completely re-install.

I hope this helps you!

gobbo1008

gobbo1008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I was having the exact same problems as you, doing the same attempted fixes, but I think I managed to figure it out.

My steps:

1.) Do the steam blob file thingies
2.) Delete everything out of your XCOM folder EXCEPT for the "XComGame" sub folder. In that folder, delete everything except the "CookedPCConsole", "DLC", and "Movies" sub folder. (What I wanted to do was delete everything that I could that would not require a 12+ GB validate, with what you delete, you should only need to reacquire about 100-300 MB)
3.) With Steam in online mode, do the game cache integrity thing, may take awhile, but the download should be relatively quick once it is done.
4.) Start the game at least once (I did it twice because I am paranoid)
5.) Install Warspace using the installer
6.) Put steam in offline mode
7.) start XCOM

This is what worked for me. If this doesn't, you may just want to bite the bullet and completely re-install.

I hope this helps you!

I love you, because this actually worked. 163MB had to be re-acquired, it reset all my settings, but it worked.
But I also hate you, because this actually worked. It's 6:20 in the morning and I wanted to go to bed; plan cancelled. :D

Edited by gobbo1008, 18 November 2012 - 05:36 AM.

BlackAlpha

BlackAlpha

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
I'm guessing it might have something to do with either the ini files or the PCConsoleTOC files. I'll add it to the FAQ.

adomingues

adomingues

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've tried a lot of diferent ways and lost way too many hours trying to make this mod work and still no luck, i'm always stuck with a "completing instalation" or simply a windows error message and the game crashes.

I realy don't consider myself a newbie in the mod scene, but i also quite dislike extremely complicated instalations of mods. It realy doesnt do good to the modding comunity to make mods require overly complicated troubleshooting to make things work or else the modding comunity will never reach more and more people out there.

Quite honestly you could have the best mod in the world and an absolutely brilliant work but if you can't make it work for the vast majority of people than its all for nothing.

It's not just me, i've tried with 2 other friends of the modding scene and they gave up after a while stating "not worth the trouble".

I'll keep this in my favorites and hopefuly you can make a version that works better and easier to install, and i thank you for your effort anyways. Cheers.

BlackAlpha

BlackAlpha

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

I've tried a lot of diferent ways and lost way too many hours trying to make this mod work and still no luck, i'm always stuck with a "completing instalation" or simply a windows error message and the game crashes.

I realy don't consider myself a newbie in the mod scene, but i also quite dislike extremely complicated instalations of mods. It realy doesnt do good to the modding comunity to make mods require overly complicated troubleshooting to make things work or else the modding comunity will never reach more and more people out there.

Quite honestly you could have the best mod in the world and an absolutely brilliant work but if you can't make it work for the vast majority of people than its all for nothing.

It's not just me, i've tried with 2 other friends of the modding scene and they gave up after a while stating "not worth the trouble".

I'll keep this in my favorites and hopefuly you can make a version that works better and easier to install, and i thank you for your effort anyways. Cheers.

Please post the steps you've taken.

Note that the mod does work for the vast majority of people. For some people like you, Steam acts up. I could make the most perfect mod in the world, but that wouldn't fix the problems on Steam's end.

Page loaded in: 1.049 seconds