• Please log in to reply
1784 replies to this topic

brandeninbc

brandeninbc

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i keep getting the error " unable to get write permissions for fallout's installation directory " any way to fix?

Branimirzg

Branimirzg

Kingslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

i keep getting the error " unable to get write permissions for fallout's installation directory " any way to fix?

If you have Vista... make sure that your game is not installed in c:program files ...
(install it someplace like c or d:games/fallout)

Zumbs

Zumbs

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 357 posts
@brandeninbc
The problem is that Vista & W7 protects the contents of your Program Files folder from potentially dangerous interference, by designating the installed program to be the *only* program that is allowed to edit its folder. So, when FOMM tries to get the permissions needed, Windows assume that it is a virus. There are a number of fixes. The quick fix is to run FOMM as administrator: rightclick fomm.exe and choose Run As Administrator in W7 (in Vista you may have to open properties). The better fix (particularly if you plan on using and making mods), is to uninstall FO3 and install it to somewhere outside of the Program Files folder, such as C:\Games\Fallout3. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Branimirzg

Branimirzg

Kingslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

@brandeninbc
The problem is that Vista & W7 protects the contents of your Program Files folder from potentially dangerous interference, by designating the installed program to be the *only* program that is allowed to edit its folder. So, when FOMM tries to get the permissions needed, Windows assume that it is a virus. There are a number of fixes. The quick fix is to run FOMM as administrator: rightclick fomm.exe and choose Run As Administrator in W7 (in Vista you may have to open properties). The better fix (particularly if you plan on using and making mods), is to uninstall FO3 and install it to somewhere outside of the Program Files folder, such as C:\Games\Fallout3. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Only a small add-on for Vista ... Right click on fomm.exe properties/security/edit/your username/Full control

flyingsub

flyingsub

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Zumbs wote: "Drag and drop should work fine. Just be sure to work in the main window, not the package manager window."

Did so. But the loading order number rarely changes.

Found that R-click on a mod brings up window that has "load last" choice, that then puts selected mod last. But a subsequent drag-drop of that mod causes it to automatically revert to a much lower load order number. E.g., moved princess tenpenny home extension .esp to last (49), then dragged it up a few slots, whereupon it renumbered itself 2E. Further drag-dropping it further up or down the qeue result in no change to its new load order # of 2E.

Can't find any topics in FOMM help that addresses this issue.

Anybody got any ideas?

kyoujouran

kyoujouran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
While I am assured that this is one of the best mods available for fallout sadly I am unable to get it running. After downloading the necessary file from this site I ran the executable to install mod manager however I then get the error

"Something bad seems to have happened. As long as it wasn't too bad, a crash will have been saved in 'fomm/crashdump.txt'"

Unfortunately it seems as though I have had a bad crash as no crashdump file can be found. I read through the installation instructions and I have .net 3.5.1 which to my knowledge is the most recent version.

The only possibility I am coming up with is that somehow my operating system (windows 7) is not running the program properly, beyond that I don't know what could be wrong.

I realize I have given you very little information but if anyone happens to have the time any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Zumbs

Zumbs

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 357 posts
@flyingsub
I don't think that I have ever seen that issue reported. Have you used the autosort feature? Do you use any command line settings for FOMM? have you tried to uninstall and reinstall FOMM? If it does not work first time around, try to export your load order, backup the exported load order, uninstall all FOMOD mods, uninstall FOMM, and delete the contents of the fomm folder in Fallout 3 except the mods folder (you may need to make a backup). Then redownload FOMM and reinstall it. Finally, reinstall your mods and see if that fixes the problem. You can use the import load order option to recreate your current load order.

@kyoujouran
When you install FOMM, does the UAC warning fire, and do you allow it to install? If yes, please open your Fallout 3 folder and investigate if there is a folder called fomm. The crash dump file may be placed in the Fallout 3\fomm\fomm folder. If it is there, please copy-paste the contents into a post. You could also try to download the installer again, as the download may have been corrupted.

Finally, if you installed Fallout 3 to the default location, I recommend that you uninstall Fallout 3 and install it to a location outside of the Program Files folder. It will save you a lot of trouble with using mods in the future.

CommanderCool

CommanderCool

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You know that windows .Net patch you have to get for this to run? What exactly is the patch called? Or is there an alternative?

Zumbs

Zumbs

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 357 posts
Which error message are you getting?

kyoujouran

kyoujouran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
@Zumbs

I redownloaded the installation file, gave UAC my permission and let it start installing however as soon as the program tries to run for the first time I get the same error message: "Something bad seems to have happened..."

I went through my directory and found the fomm folder location at C:>Program Files(x86)>Bethesda Softworks>Fallout 3>fomm>fomm

The only items in the last folder were:
-7za.exe
-fomm.chm
-lotemplate.txt
-readme-fomm.txt
-unrar.dll
-xlive.dll

Aside from that I could find nothing else and so I still have no idea what is causing this issue. I do have a few other mods running currently without mod manager do I have to delete them before mod manager will work?

As far switching Fallout's location, well that's something I deal with after I, hopefully, get mod manager working.

Sorry for the lack of useful info, once again if anyone has any idea what could be wrong I would greatly appreciate assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 1.125 seconds