The BEST game ever.

Vindekarr

In no particular order, a list of favourite games...

The Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time

Super Mario 64

Super Mario World

Mario Kart 64

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

They are all old games now, but they are still all awesome. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Drakan: The Ancient's Gates.

It's an old open-world ps2 game. Basically, you play as a warrior chick who sort of resembles Lara Croft. (Except, Rynn is waaaaay hotter than Lara Croft.) You explore and do things in various zones, switching from traveling on-foot to flying a dragon whenever you feel like it. The dragon combat is a little like Lair's, but way better and without nearly so many invisible walls. The hand-to-hand, action-based combat is kind of like Dark Soul's, with timed blocks, rolling, jumping, parries, etc, in third person.

I loved the sense of discovery. The game gives you directions on where to go, but if you go off the beaten path and search the wide-open zones, you can discover all kinds of hidden areas, mystical relics, ancient swords, weird bosses. . .etc. Drakan really captured the feeling of being on an epic quest. There were awesome glowing swords and unearthly mini-bosses around every corner. Half the time, I couldn't tell what was a side quest and what was a main quest, because the side quests were very well made and really felt important.

Rynn may have seemed to be a typical, scantily clad warrior girl, but she wasn't air-headed or weak in the least. She was actually a strong character, and had quite a few memorable lines. A male character never had to sweep in and save her, and there wasn't a sappy romance sub-plot. I almost got the sense that, rather than conforming to the trend of sexism in gaming, the creators of Drakan were mocking it.

Near the endgame, I randomly found a giant killer chicken in a cave. This odd discovery was made even odder by the fact that it was in the starting zone--in a carefully hidden area that I'd just never been able to find, even after many hours of searching within feet of the entrance. After I killed it, an alchemist unlocked the best weapon in the game for me-- a chicken that you can hold by the feet and swing at people. It clucks and flaps maniacally until you hit something with it a few times. Then it just falls limp for a while.

The only bad thing about that game (other than the graphics, but it's a ps2 game, what can you expect?) was the fact that it had an ending. I would have liked it to have a free-roam mode after the completion of the story, or at least a new game+. And sadly, the best armor in the game is only unlocked after you're already in the end-game tube.

That game works with a ps2 emulator, actually. I've since started playing it again at 1600x900p, at 60 fps and with AA. It is still awesome, which is the only emulated ps2 game from my childhood which I can say that about.

• 5 weeks later...

for me the best game i have picked up this year, aside from xcom and skyrim, was operation raccoon city. i went into the game thinking it would just be a knock off shooter in the RE universe, but soon found my self almost instantly hooked by the personality of the squad and the desperation they face. while there are points that make you think, "why?" none are all that bad, and one of the characters i like to play as, Vector, makes a good joke against one such instance: early on you are sent to retrieve data from an umbrella facility that is guarded by UBCS troops, which are employees of umbrella. you're told that they are expendable and that weapons are free, to which Vector replies, "We're on the same side, couldn't we just pick up the phone and call?"

but all in all a fantastic addition to the series, if not cannon, and i wish that the movies would have followed wolf-pack instead of its current story line as it is way better.

Total rating, 8 B.O.W.s out of 10

now, i picked up a few other games as well, so the rating for them:

Skyrim- 10 out of 10 arrows to the knees

Mass effect 3- 10 out of 10 paragon points

X com- 8 sectoids out of 10.

DMC - 6 devil triggers out of 10 (was rather disappointed actually..)

edit, 400th post, HELLS YEAH, only took 4 years...

Edited by Pyrosocial

If you count mods, surely you'd have to up-rate X-COM to an even more glorious 9 out of 10 Mutons?

regrettably, i was unaware the game could be modded and purchased it on the ps3. i will most likely get it for pc when the price drops a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Im a RPG player so my top games list tends to focus solely on RPGs in general but ill give a special shout out to the entire Civilization series and Rollercoaster Tycoon series for enjoyment I had outside the RPG genre. And Caveman Ug-Lympics on the C64 back in day (and World Games as well ).

But as I said, Im a RPG fan.

If I was to make my perfect RPG it would encorperate so much from so many different games that saying my favorite unfair. Instead ill just give my top RPGs list

1) Mass Effect 1

2-3) *tied* Dragon Age: Origins - The Witcher

4) Knights of the Old Republic 2

5) The Witcher 2

6) Knights of the Old Republic 1

7-13) Gold Box SSI AD&D Games (Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance...NOT including Daggerfall, Spelljammer, or that stone age setting)

14) Jade Empire

15) Knights of Legend (C64 days)

Special mention to DAoC (pre RAs) for its amazing RVR design

• 1 month later...

Avalon Code for DS - bad graphics, but an AMAZING storyline.

Any Kingdom Hearts Games other than Chain of Memories

FFXIII

FFVII games

Skyrim for PC

Oblivion for PC

F:NV

Edited by Amoryenar

• 3 months later...

best games was Super Mario world, homeworld early pc, best story and animation for its time, and today couldn't beat it.

It had some high profile voice actors for the time, one especially from the original Gundam wing back then :thumbsup: which added to its awesomeness.

the graphics where ahead of its time, 1999 was its release date.

Probably was in development long before the n64.

and Homeworld 2 was moddable :D

Best mods for the time to :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.