XCMM - XCom Mod Manager

twinj

I also had to reistall XCom. For ages I have not been able to run a vanilla game online and never knew why? Still dont. I have tried a reinstall before and that didnt work. But now I have to for checking CheckSum values...

I am telling becuase I decided to install on another drive so I can properly debug your issues! :thumbsup: hehe

With inis it is different. How to track, if the ini was modified by someone else, in case of returning backuped files. FMod's app?

I have uninstall files created for any mod that is installed. It's got limitations, but it works for any 1-deep uninstall, even from the middle. If no two mods touch the same lines, uninstallation is just as easy as installation.

For uninstalling more than 1 major mod, if multiple mods change the same line, the uninstaller won't be able to resolve conflicts unless mods are uninstalled in exactly reverse order from their installation. Practically, if the user utilizes Mod Load Order, the mods can just be removed from wherever they are, then ini, int and other changed files rebuilt from masters, as with other load order updates.

Though the last part isn't yet integrated with single mod install/uninstall. But it's doable, I'll just need to have load order auto-managed and just search through installed mods when ordered to uninstall.

With inis it is different. How to track, if the ini was modified by someone else, in case of returning backuped files. FMod's app?

I have uninstall files created for any mod that is installed. It's got limitations, but it works for any 1-deep uninstall, even from the middle. If no two mods touch the same lines, uninstallation is just as easy as installation.

For uninstalling more than 1 major mod, if multiple mods change the same line, the uninstaller won't be able to resolve conflicts unless mods are uninstalled in exactly reverse order from their installation. Practically, if the user utilizes Mod Load Order, the mods can just be removed from wherever they are, then ini, int and other changed files rebuilt from masters, as with other load order updates.

Though the last part isn't yet integrated with single mod install/uninstall. But it's doable, I'll just need to have load order auto-managed and just search through installed mods when ordered to uninstall.

As a starting point XCMM will probably be the same when I implement it. With the same pros and cons. I had originally envisioned using a database to track installs and uninstalls with essentially the same data that each mod held and the state of the game and what other mods were installed at the time of install. This is quite the task though really. So yeah simple reversal for starters.

2. Mod j installed Timestamp version
  3. Mod k installed Timestamp version
  4. Mod k installed Timestamp version overwrites ref Mod k Ts V
  5. Mod l installed Ts v
  6. Mod j unistalled ( restores j original)
  7. Mod m installed conflict HexEdit 1 Mod k Ts V (ask for overwrite) overwrite
  8. Mod k uninstalled TS V restoring ref ModK Ts V

We shall see.

I think the way to use mod order is to simply rebuild it every time a mod is added. That is keep a master backup - for each upk changed, I have them for ini and other text-format files - and store Load Order itself as just a list of mods.

On updating the list, replace the current file with its master, then apply all mods one by one. The process should be pretty quick and it's reliable.

Official updates are the only potential problem. But, then, since an update risks invalidating important mods (while not necessarily being as useful itself, some were just tweaks), it doesn't hurt for the user to have a choice when to update. And have a button to overwrite backups.

I havent but I suspect its because the line <Ini></Ini> needs to be completely removed.

Tried manually deleting it and nothing changed, still got patching ini error.

I dont get how people can not get Java to work... It is an installable product just as is .NET. So many websites use java too.. what do they do then? Being a java developer if there is a problem with SE it's because I also have lower versions installed along with SDk's and EE with even different subversions and I can get them all to work. If not I tweak the windows path settings. Like you would have to do with any other program that needs to be called by command line.

When my wife has problem with internet banking, I usually uninstall all Java and install the latest version. But setting Windows paths is something most Windows users aren't familiar with.

I also had to reistall XCom. For ages I have not been able to run a vanilla game online and never knew why? Still dont. I have tried a reinstall before and that didnt work.

I am telling becuase I decided to install on another drive so I can properly debug your issues! :thumbsup: hehe

I recommend reinstalling Steam as well.

Thank you for the effort! Thought you could just move the installation somewhere else on the same drive to troubleshoot it. On the same drive rename should be fast.

Mod compatibility is a nightmare, if 2 mods modify the same value. I don't have a clue how to cope with it and only can watch your ideas flow guys :)

For those who cannot get their JRE to work. Try this. It is Java portable made for portable apps program. (love it) It can go anywhere you want it to go.

http://sourceforge.n...8e&source=accel

To get it to run xshape you also need the Portable app java executor extension in the same place you saved Java Portable.

http://downloads.sou...her_3.0.paf.exe

To test this I "broke" all of my java path settings and JRE installation folders by renaming them and could not run any java programs.

Thank you! It's live now. Topic Customizable Zhang has a link to the mod and there are files to DL.

XCPI 1.07e worked flawlessly :) Substituted files in install for mine. Are cascading stylesheets supported?

Thank you! It's live now. Topic Customizable Zhang has a link to the mod and there are files to DL.

XCPI 1.07e worked flawlessly :) Substituted files in install for mine. Are cascading stylesheets supported?

Css is not supported! It is a built in html parser from java nothing more. It will not do any of the fancy stuff normal browsers do.

I will have to check it out!

Thanks drak!

I will have to check it out!

Thanks drak!

Glad I could help! I just asked, but from experience wth some browser's CSS compatibility, I would rather have plain HTML and features like precise uninstall and stuff you plan with FMod. HTML with full CSS support can be added next to other files for use with user's number one browser and fired with a link in description (it already works).