LvlPredatorScript: The truth about it.

IsharaMeradin

[08/30/2012 - 02:02:24PM] error: (00033482): cannot enable an object with an enable state parent.

stack:

[ (00033482)].lvlpredatorscript.Enable() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (00033482)].lvlpredatorscript.OnCellLoad() - "LvlPredatorScript.psc" Line 26

You've seen the error posted in your papyrus log. Perhaps it was the last thing before a crash and you figured it was from a mod. Wrong. This error is normal and should cause no issues to your game what so ever. Why? Because the script is assigned to the base forms and inherited by a multitude of actors. Many that you come across will not report such an error because they are not connected to anything else. Some, however, are assigned to various markers and other objects so that their presence may be disabled when something else is intended to take place.

An example of this is around the bridge just past the meadery outside Whiterun. There are some instances of wolves that are disabled when the battle for Whiterun takes place especially when the player is on the Stormcloak side. The reasoning is so that there are not any or many animals spawning and running all over the place and getting in the way.

Whenever the player enters cells containing actor references running this script that are linked to such markers or objects, an error is reported. It is a harmless error and one that should be expected. If someone wishes to "solve" this, they must go thru every single placed reference in the game that inherits the script and see if there is an assigned enable parent. If there is an enable parent, then the script could be removed from that specific reference. However, doing so must be severly tested as there could be other things that the script does for the actor reference in question.

I was kind of hoping for a dirty exposé here going by the title.

Perhaps it was the last thing before a crash

I've long ago given up trying to blame my last papyrus entry to the actual cause for the crash - but nevertheless this is interesting data :)

Edited by acidzebra

• 3 months later...

Great description, but problem still stands. If it's typical Skyrim behavior and not mod related, yet CTDs still persist, it seems our problems will forever be had. It's typically reported around Whiterun, but I have also had instances of this bug in Falkreath hold and east of Markarth.

The USKP team have fixed almost everything, including many of these buggy scripts, yet this still is very much the Alduain of bugs, the last real remaining threat. 1.9 could improve things but doubt it, my cell name is always different but it always seems to be Line 26, curious what it is.

@Jazz, I think the point is, if you are having CTDs, you would be wasting your time focusing on the lvlpredator script. Depending on the particulars of your CTD, there are many other possibilities. The papyrus log is not actually a crash log, and may not provide you the cause of your error, although occasionally is is useful to look at.

Agree, and I am full aware. The strange problem I think is that while no mod is the direct cause of the crashes, some mods can cause a hiccup effect of sorts and not sit well with the script. The best test is when a game crashes at the same spot, this is easy to test what is conflicting. After continuously crashing I would check Papyrus and lvlpredatorscript was the last line, everyone would see this and assume that is the reason for the crash.

One mod I found to resolve the issue, though not entirely, was 'Realistic Overhaul - Major City exteriors', resolve I mean as in deactivate it. I did this and went on to play the game until I chose to quit, rather than CTD. Checking Papyrus again the lvlpredatorscript is still present as before, except without the added pressure of this mod I am able to avoid the problem for now.

I am not singling out this mod, there are many mods that could conflict in the same way, best to deactivate a number of mods in patches and see if you can resolve the problem. This for me was outside Whiterun, hard and long to test the rest of Skyrim but it's a start.

• 1 month later...