Character - walking animation doesn't work properly

Valkhir725

Hi everyone,

Recently I have experienced an annoying animation error (in 3rd person camera). When I enter a "combat mode" (by pressing "R") walking animation doesn't seem to work correctly. When handling a weapon - character ,as you know, remains in some kind of "combat attitude"(while standing). You should usually see your character walk (or run) (you can notice his legs moving) when you press keys to move. Even though me character moves, the animation doesn't seem to change to walking or running - I can only see him in this combat posture all the time - it is sliding on the ground. When I'm handling a mage staff my moving animation is similar to dragon priest's - floating in the air (but very close to the ground - I can see my legs disappearing under the ground textures). Finally when I have spells in my hands - character just seems to be in straight position sliding on the ground. After pressing "R" again and exiting the combat mode walking and running is normal as it should be. I noticed it recently (in last few days) after installing following mods: "Extended Vanilla Weapons" by Lrsamways, "WATER texture enchancements" by OpticShooter, "Flora Overhaul" by vurt and "Apocalypse Spells" by EnaiSiaion. If it helps other mods I'm using are: MidasMagic, Monster Mod, Monster wars, and few other which doesn't really affect combat. I have never experienced such thing before.

I hope You know any solutions to this problem.

I use "raw" Skyrim(v 1.8.151.0.7) without official addons.

Edited by Valkhir725

Are any of you two using FNIS? Do you use any animations mod?

(Some mods that depends on FNIS may drop these kind of files into your data folder.)

If yes: Download and install a newer version of FNIS, if that doesn't work, delete FNIS completely (this includes the mods requiring FNIS). Also, update any animation mod you may have (at least any mod fiddling with animations).

Edited by Mekii

Just thought I would post this here Mekii was correct... My problem was with FNIS and my installing it wrong... I reinstalled it according to the below and it all works fine now...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11811

Manual Installation (extended)

Note: there are many ways to manually install. This is "my way":

•Create a temporary directory <temp_dir> (name of your choice)

•Download FNIS Behavior Files V3_3_2 -- ALWAYS necessary into <temp_dir>

•Download FNIS Idle Spells V3_2 -- ADD-ON for the spells into <temp_dir>

•Open and extract FNIS Spells 3.2.7z with your favorite archive program (e.g. 7zip) into into <temp_dir>

•Open and extract FNIS Behavior 3.3.2.7z with your favorite archive program (e.g. 7zip) into into <temp_dir>/Data. . Say "Yes" when asked to "Integrate..."

•Drag and drop the <temp_dir>/Data folder into your Skyrim installation directory (usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim). Say "Yes" when asked "Overwrite?", or when asked to "Integrate..."

•Install other FNIS dependant mods (see mod list above)

•Goto to your Skyrim Installation directory, and from there to Data/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users

•Start (double-click) GenerateFNISforUsers.exe (part of the FNIS Behavior Files) ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, or NOTHING works

•Select necessary Behavior patches in the Possible Patches field (make sure you have the patched mod installed!)

•Click Update FNISBehavior (this will create your installation-specific behavior files)

•Click Behavior Consistence Check (optional, checks if new mods have defined inconsitent stuff)

•Click Exit. Say "Yes" when asked to "Create a shortcut on your desktop?" (strongly recommended, you will need the generator quite frequently)

•Start Steam and click "Play"

•In "Data Files" tick FNISSpells.esp

I think it's rather not a problem with FNIS, I haven't used this before. I have even downloaded it and installed (following the instruction), but after loading a save on which problem appeared there weren't any results. Is it possible that my save has broken somehow? When I use my older one everything works in normal order. I will run another save and check if the mods I used recently (after which I noticed the issue) somehow brake the game.

I haven't heard of a broken save that would cause this kind of behavior, so for certain I cannot say.

I find it more likely that any animations mod that you may be using requires an update.

I think it's rather not a problem with FNIS, I haven't used this before.

Note that I said that some mods drops these kinds of files into your folder with or without your knowledge. If these files got touched or not by the version of FNIS you downloaded and installed I cannot tell.

Edited by Mekii

• 1 year later...

I also have a really annoying sliding-around kind of problem - only that in my case I'm always sliding around, doesn't matter if standing, walking or running (even sprinting). I always randomly start sliding in random directions. I even slide through the ground, as if I used toggle collision off... I cant seem to do anything about it, as it makes it impossible for me to move anywhere else while it happens.

I've been searching for a solution for days now, because I'm tired of starting all over again after this glitch appears (I have no animation mods istalled, it even appears in clean saves).

All I was able to find were videos on youtube showing how hilarious this glitch is. Well, I certainly disagree with that...

(Just type in "Skyrim sliding glitch" and you'll see what I mean...)

Anyone got a solution to this maybe? :confused:

A couple of questions:

On a vanilla install of Skyrim does it do this (have this problem)?
If not, what mods did you download recently (they don't have to be active, especially if any modified the skeleton.hkx or other files)

Try downloading and install FNIS for Users, and run GenerateFNISforUsers.exe, and see if that doesn't fix it.

If not, delete it, reinstall fresh, and start over, or try Verifying Game Cache just in case your Skyrim has lost something somewhere.

A couple of questions:

On a vanilla install of Skyrim does it do this (have this problem)?

Yes, whenever I make a clean save. I suppose you're right and it has to do something with a mod.. I wonder if it's a mod that's still installed or one that wasn't uninstalled correctly...

However, I'll try that out! Thank you very much for your help! (:

• 2 months later...

i have a problem to, my walking running and sprinting animation is glitshed.

i have several mods installed, but in and unstalling does not fix the problem.

i have also tried to fix it with FNIS copy and execute, but THAT'S is not working either.

i dont know it and i tried so many things.

Can someone help me?