Monitor is near death need advice

FMod, I have seen that Acer, and no nothing is wrong with it, but seeing as my last two monitor's I had were Acers and after about a year or two they inexplicably began to fail while my Asus is still going strong says something to me about the brand as a whole. I could always order it with an extended warranty but it still doesn't do anything for me if the monitor starts to fail and I have to spend two weeks monitor less while its being RMA'd.

And Rennn I have seen 27 inch monitors up close with 1920 x 1080 and the stretching isn't that bad. In fact I wouldn't even say its that noticeable. I can see how it would be though if you went from a 18 inch to a much bigger stretched one.

Edited by Dan3345

Acer is indeed far from the best brands out there. But I know people who've had specifically 27" ones (albeit older models) for years, with no issues. The quality of mass-market stuff has been falling, though. Still, failing in a year is not yet typical for them.

That Acer is all newegg has in this size and price range that is worth picking. There are other alternatives.

Can you get a Philips 273P3? It may be the best 27" 1080p monitor today. AMVA panel that competes with IPS straight up, and Philips build quality. But it seems to mostly be a EU model.

IDK. There's not a lot of options. If something in the $400 range is more reliable, is it worth paying twice for, considering how little of the value is left in 3 years anyway? And everything high-end is in 2560x1440 resolution with appropriately higher price tag.

I suppose if there's no other options and the above is no go, Dell S2740L isn't all bad. Problems will mostly be with darker scenes, where the 6-bit panel is an issue in deeper shadows and gloss is a problem if the room isn't darkened. Or you can look around for other 27" VA (PVA or MVA) monitors from other makers.

Right so I am staying away from the IPS panels.. Too much money to get something with noticeable ghosting (yes I went out and looked at a few in person). The color difference between IPS and TN panel's is noticeable and the IPS is obviously much better but I found this which IMO looks pretty good and has a very decent price tag.

On a side-note, my speakers blew out today. :/ Totally gone, the drivers are dead. I can turn them up all the way and the sound is barely audible. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the audio in on my motherboard so i grabbed my older monster turbines (which up until now I had been dissatisfied with having only used them on my phone) and anyways I listened to some music.. And these things are great, I should have known it was my phone that made them sound so awful....

Edited by Dan3345

hmm. i notice no ghosting my my IPS panel yet. but that having not played too many high end games as my GPU hasnt come in yet. :P

It's not the ghosting I am worried about. From all the videos and reviews I have seen the ghosting is something I would only notice under the most extreme of conditions.

What is keeping me away from the IPS panels is my room has a lot of ambient light and I would like to be able to see my screen in the day.

Anyways I still haven't made up my mind.

What is keeping me away from the IPS panels is my room has a lot of ambient light and I would like to be able to see my screen in the day.

But how would TN help that??

If you want to see your screen in the day, you need to:

1. Absolutely exclude anything even remotely glossy from your choices. Except for high-end Philips units with "semi-gloss" coating which is matte minus crystal effect. Gloss is murder for the eyes.

2. Pick monitors with high brightness and contrast. Note that TN have less of these, not more.

This steers you towards VA panels. And make sure the one you're getting is matte.

Finally, have you considered 32" displays?

They are not much larger and they still make 32" with proper brightness. I am not intending to ever buy for myself a 250 nit or 300 nit display. 450+ cd/m^2 or bust, preferably 500 (I'd like 1,000-1,500+ like mil displays, but, well, fat chance). Even though I have the means to darken a room, I just want to see proper contrast.

TVs are generally built with higher quality today than computer monitors, esp. in terms of image quality. There are no TN panels in 32"+ models from reputable makers. The best panels like UV2A, the best backlights like RGB and full backlit, the best technologies like scanning and local dimming BL, finally the best cabinet quality are all TV exclusives. It's a much more alive industry than "meh well they need something" PC monitors.

You'll probably top out your budget, but what you get will be well worth it. Although you need to pick very carefully; make sure to ask here or look for reviews to ensure it's a PC-suitable model.

Glossy panels arent that bad, you just need to make sure your room lighting is good (=the light doesnt come from behind you).

I have samsung s23a700d 120hz glossy monitor, cant complain about the colors. And 3D skyrim is epic.

Edited by kalikka

FMod I am probably driving you crazy with my indecisiveness and lack knowledge :teehee:

And Kalikka I think I may get a 120hz monitor too.. Gotta pay the premium for it but whatever.. The smoothness sounds very enticing.

Actually S23A700D was the cheapest 120hz you could ever find 6 months ago. 215€ from a sale when the normal price was 250€.

Now the cheapest 120hz monitor is around 350€, like XL2420T or S23A750D that is exactly the same monitor as 700D but with better stand and DP instead of DVI-D.

Ofc how the glossy panels act during the day depends also on where you live... In Finland during winter, its always dark. Days length is 4h 46min, from 9.45 to 14.32 (sun sets at 14.32).

Edited by kalikka